Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Mine was delivered three weeks ago today and I agree with everything you said. So far there are no issues.
I would hope there is no issues on a 3 week old truck. Encouraging!
Sponsored

Davido49

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4
I've had my new hybrid Maverick XLT for just over a week now. And I thought some might appreciate my thoughts as a first time hybrid owner. Actually, this is the first time I've ever driven a hybrid or even rode in one for that matter. Buying one was essentially a leap of faith for that reason, so I spent a great deal of time during the wait scouring this and other forums for other owners takes on the subject. So it is with great pleasure that I am now able to provide my own take, as well as address some specific complaints and issues others have described.

First off, I just have to say that I am completely, totally satisfied with my new truck. If you are looking for criticism, you won't get any from me. The Maverick has exceeded my expectations in every way. Ride and handling, fit and finish, comfort and performance, appearance and ergonomics....10's across the board. The only negative at any point was my buying experience at the dealer. No markups thankfully, and they surprisingly didn't even attempt to sell me any "protection" packages, or extended warranties...but they made up for that by totally hosing me on my trade-in. They low balled me at the get go, and wouldn't budge a nickel. When we began "negotiating", it immediately dawned on me that I had zero bargaining power in the matter. I couldn't threaten to walk away....we both knew they could just turn around and sell it off the lot for a five grand markup in about two seconds. Oh well, live and learn. Don't trade...sell it yourself!

At any rate, I am now completely sold on the hybrid system. Well this one, anyway. I just can't get over how silky smooth everything is. The transitions are totally seamless, and performance is impressive. This truck is quick! I have driven a coworker's Eco boost, and the difference is negligible between the two in day-to-day driving. Yes, the eco feels a bit peppier off the line, but I can't imagine giving up such a huge fuel economy advantage for that. (I drive almost entirely in the city...) And though the eight speed transmission is unquestionably smooth and I like it, it doesn't lay a glove on the hybrid in that department.

I wondered if I might miss the "feel" of a traditional transmission, but I find it crazy cool how the ECVT functions in coordination with the ICE. I love how the engine ramps right up to its "sweet spot" and locks it there, while the truck accelerates quickly and evenly all the way up the line. Man, that's gotta be a big advantage for engine life. I doubt you could even approach the engine's red line unless you take it to maximum speed. I'm just really impressed how the thing gets up and goes so willingly at such a moderate RPM. No wonder they don't bother with a tachometer. Hybrids rock!

I'll have to wait to give my take on fuel economy. The display has indicated anywhere between 31 and 58 MPG on various trips, but I've heard the onboard systems take a while to calibrate, so I'll check it manually at the first fill up, and then I can say for sure. But it is certainly going a LONG way on one tank. I'll say that much.

People have remarked on the "spongy" brake pedal supposedly inherent with hybrids, but I gotta say I don't feel it. Maybe it's because my old car was indeed an "old car", and had a mushy pedal for other reasons....but these brakes feel just like any other to me. No "getting used to" period at all.

I've heard people complain the rear-view mirror is too small, or even "useless"...but as with the brakes, it seems like any other to me. No problems with visibility noted.

The rear-view camera works just fine, even at night. It's possible if I had experience with a better one, I might feel differently...but this is my first.

The base speakers sound just fine. But then, I don't get in the car for a concert experience.

Android Auto operates as advertised. I haven't experienced any freezes or hiccups at all...but then it's early days.

The remote start function has so far worked perfectly. I've used it every morning even if it isn't that cold just to check. No strange behaviors or unpleasant odors noted.

No fit and finish problems at all. There was one minor scuff on the front bumper from shipping. The dealership itself pointed this out and will correct.

The interior is really nice as far as I'm concerned. People gripe about the "cheap" hard plastics, but it looks great to me. Visually appealing and looks like it should be easy to clean. Easy to scratch? Could be, but as I don't typically carry a bunch of screaming kids or toss bricks around in there, I seriously doubt it'll be a problem. Seats are very comfortable with good support and nice looking and feeling fabric.

Lastly, I've heard it said that ride quality is harsh in the hybrid. But then I've also heard some say they love the hybrid's ride and wonder what its "secret sauce" might be. Unless there actually are huge differences between vehicles that are supposed to be the same, I put that down to individual preference or bias. In my case I find the ride and handling perfectly smooth and enjoyable. Takes bumps like a champ and navigates rough roads with ease. But then I drive a Super Duty on a daily basis at work, so take that as you will. "Numb" steering? What's that? It goes where I point it and turns with ease, and that's all I ask.

Well, that's all that comes to mind. I honestly don't have a single complaint at this point. The Maverick is everything I had hoped it would be and more. In fact, I can say that so far it is the most satisfying new vehicle I have ever purchased....and there have been quite a few over the years. Could my estimation change? Sure....but so far, so good. So VERY good!
Well said, an I agree! We have a '20 Ranger XLT FX4 truck we absolutely love an its been impeccable.. thus we bought our Lariat FX4 2.0 Ecoboost Maverick. It is a very well made truck ..every review said so. Your 100% correct in your assessment. There are alot of trolls sadly that have agendas an lie . Ford gave ppl what they've been begging for ..a good quality price minded small truck. Imagine how much better it will get w/ every model yr. Be sure to do your break in oil change sooner. We did @1800mis. Some say 2000mis. It makes a difference in these tight tolerance new vehicles. Your dealer may say dont waste ur time blah blah..yea they are wrong! Put in a good brand full synthetic oil (of proper viscosity rating) an change every 5k mis on dot . Ford builds great engines ..hence why they are king of trucks. Enjoy! We love ours as well. Its a sports car truck w/turbo motor!!

Davido49

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4
Mine was delivered three weeks ago today and I agree with everything you said. So far there are no issues.
You will love it an the fact that Ford delivered this at the price pt it did is remarkable. We love ours. We all have 1st editions. They will only get better an better each model yr.. as other automakers play catch up to Ford. They aren't the king of trucks for no reason. Take great care of it. Enjoy !

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
I think you took the words right out of my mouth! As a Lariat Hybrid owner it was the first everything for me too! I've owned Levi, since January 3rd and like you, do not have a single complaint, not 1..this truck is honestly, perfect!
I drive mostly highway, opposite of you, about 85% at very fast, aggressive hwy speeds over 80 to 85 for long distances everyday and I'm getting 39.4 average at the pump with weekend drives over 42 mpg...I have yet to be as low as the EPA hwy rating of 33 or combined 37!
I've tried...I hit 105 daily, with ease and STILL can't get in the low 30's...my daily drive is over 40 miles, one way, climbing hills, sharp curves, crazy traffic...unhinged Texans on the interstate with monster trucks trying to flatten you with every turn and I can keep up! In fact, I laugh when they barrel down on me and I punch that Hybrid and she jumps into action and doesn't break a sweat! Brings a smile to my face everytime. I had a guy chase me down on the hwy last week, he actually followed me as I exited the hwy to give me the 👍! Yeah, I'm more than satisfied with my hybrid and say to anyone still waiting, hang in there, you won't regret it!
Cheers

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my new hybrid Maverick XLT for just over a week now. And I thought some might appreciate my thoughts as a first time hybrid owner. Actually, this is the first time I've ever driven a hybrid or even rode in one for that matter. Buying one was essentially a leap of faith for that reason, so I spent a great deal of time during the wait scouring this and other forums for other owners takes on the subject. So it is with great pleasure that I am now able to provide my own take, as well as address some specific complaints and issues others have described.

First off, I just have to say that I am completely, totally satisfied with my new truck. If you are looking for criticism, you won't get any from me. The Maverick has exceeded my expectations in every way. Ride and handling, fit and finish, comfort and performance, appearance and ergonomics....10's across the board. The only negative at any point was my buying experience at the dealer. No markups thankfully, and they surprisingly didn't even attempt to sell me any "protection" packages, or extended warranties...but they made up for that by totally hosing me on my trade-in. They low balled me at the get go, and wouldn't budge a nickel. When we began "negotiating", it immediately dawned on me that I had zero bargaining power in the matter. I couldn't threaten to walk away....we both knew they could just turn around and sell it off the lot for a five grand markup in about two seconds. Oh well, live and learn. Don't trade...sell it yourself!

At any rate, I am now completely sold on the hybrid system. Well this one, anyway. I just can't get over how silky smooth everything is. The transitions are totally seamless, and performance is impressive. This truck is quick! I have driven a coworker's Eco boost, and the difference is negligible between the two in day-to-day driving. Yes, the eco feels a bit peppier off the line, but I can't imagine giving up such a huge fuel economy advantage for that. (I drive almost entirely in the city...) And though the eight speed transmission is unquestionably smooth and I like it, it doesn't lay a glove on the hybrid in that department.

I wondered if I might miss the "feel" of a traditional transmission, but I find it crazy cool how the ECVT functions in coordination with the ICE. I love how the engine ramps right up to its "sweet spot" and locks it there, while the truck accelerates quickly and evenly all the way up the line. Man, that's gotta be a big advantage for engine life. I doubt you could even approach the engine's red line unless you take it to maximum speed. I'm just really impressed how the thing gets up and goes so willingly at such a moderate RPM. No wonder they don't bother with a tachometer. Hybrids rock!

I'll have to wait to give my take on fuel economy. The display has indicated anywhere between 31 and 58 MPG on various trips, but I've heard the onboard systems take a while to calibrate, so I'll check it manually at the first fill up, and then I can say for sure. But it is certainly going a LONG way on one tank. I'll say that much.

People have remarked on the "spongy" brake pedal supposedly inherent with hybrids, but I gotta say I don't feel it. Maybe it's because my old car was indeed an "old car", and had a mushy pedal for other reasons....but these brakes feel just like any other to me. No "getting used to" period at all.

I've heard people complain the rear-view mirror is too small, or even "useless"...but as with the brakes, it seems like any other to me. No problems with visibility noted.

The rear-view camera works just fine, even at night. It's possible if I had experience with a better one, I might feel differently...but this is my first.

The base speakers sound just fine. But then, I don't get in the car for a concert experience.

Android Auto operates as advertised. I haven't experienced any freezes or hiccups at all...but then it's early days.

The remote start function has so far worked perfectly. I've used it every morning even if it isn't that cold just to check. No strange behaviors or unpleasant odors noted.

No fit and finish problems at all. There was one minor scuff on the front bumper from shipping. The dealership itself pointed this out and will correct.

The interior is really nice as far as I'm concerned. People gripe about the "cheap" hard plastics, but it looks great to me. Visually appealing and looks like it should be easy to clean. Easy to scratch? Could be, but as I don't typically carry a bunch of screaming kids or toss bricks around in there, I seriously doubt it'll be a problem. Seats are very comfortable with good support and nice looking and feeling fabric.

Lastly, I've heard it said that ride quality is harsh in the hybrid. But then I've also heard some say they love the hybrid's ride and wonder what its "secret sauce" might be. Unless there actually are huge differences between vehicles that are supposed to be the same, I put that down to individual preference or bias. In my case I find the ride and handling perfectly smooth and enjoyable. Takes bumps like a champ and navigates rough roads with ease. But then I drive a Super Duty on a daily basis at work, so take that as you will. "Numb" steering? What's that? It goes where I point it and turns with ease, and that's all I ask.

Well, that's all that comes to mind. I honestly don't have a single complaint at this point. The Maverick is everything I had hoped it would be and more. In fact, I can say that so far it is the most satisfying new vehicle I have ever purchased....and there have been quite a few over the years. Could my estimation change? Sure....but so far, so good. So VERY good!
Thank you for telling us of your experience. I would like to know gas mileage. My driving would be mainly city and short trips with sporadic 60 mile (non-freeway) drive to my parents and back. Generally now I fill up about 2 times a month.

Sponsored

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I don't have much use for remote start either. I just heard a number of complaints about the feature and wanted to see for myself.
I love my remote start. But I'm living in the cold north.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love my remote start. But I'm living in the cold north.
The cold North, me too, but still no desire to use remote start.

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I ordered my hybrid September 29th. I'm hoping to get it by this spring/summer. I was thinking that I don't want to be held hostage by the trade-in I get for my current car, so I might try to sell it prior to picking up mine. Good luck with your new Maverick!

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're welcome! I wish you luck, my friend. And as near as I can tell, luck is about all there is to it in this game. You will be VERY pleased when your patience pays off. 😍
Yes thank you, hope to get mine next month. Glad to read a positive and informative review

Sponsored

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems like you had reasonable expectations about your truck and your truck met them. This is good to hear.

glpuckett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FE Rapid Red 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I received an unexpected call from my dealer today, but it was a VERY GOOD ONE! I didn't expect the call till next week, but my Maverick First Edition R.R. came in today and was ready for pickup. My dealership was Tuttle-Click Ford Irvine Cal & Brandon Hill is my sales representative. They informed me that this was their first Hybrid; as well as, a First Edition to be delivered, so they were also excited.

I'm not going to do a review, we've all seen/heard so many of them, but I will remark on how impressed I was. I've waited just short of 8 months for for my 1st truck that I've never seen or touched. I tempered my expectations because of this, while watching or reading as many reviews as I could. Bottom line, this truck exceeded my expectations:
  • 1st, the exterior size is perfect for what I wanted
  • Next, the Rapid Red is Awesome, I love it! It's a deep rich red.
  • The wheels & tires look great, but I will be painting the calipers to give it that something extra.
  • Completed all the paper work and Yes, they held true to MSRP & all that we agreed to from the beginning.
  • Behind the wheel driving: I was taken back by how much bigger the truck felt from the inside on the road... Loved it!
  • Road handling was impressive and solid in both fwy speeds and SoCal traffic.
  • The technology stuff is pretty cool & the B&O system rocks (I was a bit worried about this, but not anymore).
  • I can't wait to take it out for some adventures.

Ford Maverick Observations From A New Maverick And First-Time Hybrid Owner GP Mav F.E.R.R

Ford Maverick Observations From A New Maverick And First-Time Hybrid Owner GP Mav 3

Ford Maverick Observations From A New Maverick And First-Time Hybrid Owner GP Mav 2

Ford Maverick Observations From A New Maverick And First-Time Hybrid Owner GP Mav 4

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
3 weeks in on my Hybrid. I fully concur with all that you've said about it. I almost missed out on the Hybrid after switching to the Ecoboost. Just happens that the person that ordered this one decided not to purchase and I was given the opportunity to switch. So, So, glad that I did now.

I was impatient and purchased a 2022 Nissan Frontier, but fortunately for me I just got an offer from Carvana to purchase it for what I paid for it. So, I at least won't loose any money on it.

Plan to keep this Hybrid Maverick for awhile, so I second the hope that this thing pans out to be reliable for many years to come.

Thanks for the review, love seeing individual reviews like this, rather than the journalist tech types.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How's that atomic orange treating you in person?
Sponsored