1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're having that problem that's additional and something you should probably see your dealership about.
Im just telling you that this noise was tied to the check engine light and misfire so it’s not normal. It’s been in multiple times for this and they even had a ford tech look into it. They can’t figure it out.

Last edited:

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like that one is ready to come apart. Ford wont like this at all. Cam/lifters timing chain. Something is not getting lubricated properly in cold weather. Sounds like the old 5.4 3 valve when the valve keepers fall out. Just a matter of time before the boom happens.

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ll add to this thread with my hybrid sounding like it’s going to explode.

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im sure if they pull the valve cover the problem will be easy to spot. The only reason it hasnt been diagnosed yet is they dont know whos paying for it.

Sponsored

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same here. Over the weekend in Massachusetts, my Maverick threw two engine misfire codes. So, I brought the truck into the Ford dealership from which I purchased it in North Carolina as soon as I got back from Massachusetts last week. I played the video above to the Ford service advisor and all he had to say was " do you think it had anything to do with the cold?". This was the first time I've had a mechanic ask me what the problem is, when I'm the one bringing the car in for service, lol. My last vehicle was of Porsche Cayenne and those dealership mechanics always had answers and not questions for the customer.
Definitely doesn’t sound right from your video, but one little thing you mention here….. service advisor does not equal mechanic and is the last person you should be asking about anything mechanical, they are just there to book you for appointments and make notes and that’s pretty much it

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
man that doesn't sound normal at all.
Yup, I’m not alone with this either. Ford knows, they just don’t want to pay for all of them to be fixed. I can’t wait to get rid of this thing.

OP
OP

rnev8437

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Definitely doesn’t sound right from your video, but one little thing you mention here….. service advisor does not equal mechanic and is the last person you should be asking about anything mechanical, they are just there to book you for appointments and make notes and that’s pretty much it
Good point .... I guess it depends on how you define "mechanic". In this case, the person has an Associates Degree with "Automotive," including "one year of auto mechanics," as one of his majors and he's worked only in the marine and automotive industry in his 27 year career.

As far as my asking the service advisor anything, this never happened. I supplied the video I recorded on Christmas Eve to him and he's the one who asked me what I thought caused it. I was hoping he would say something like "holy shit that video sounds awful, we'll have our mechanics figure this out". My perception was nobody at Ford acknowledged anything I mentioned or showed them happening on video was an indication of a problem. So, if my engine blows at mile 60,001, Ford will be off the hook regardless of what I showed them.

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow, that's noisy. I'd definitely be considering an extended warranty at the last moment you could buy one, even if its just the cheapest drivetrain extended warranty.

Sponsored

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good point .... I guess it depends on how you define "mechanic". In this case, the person has an Associates Degree with "Automotive," including "one year of auto mechanics," as one of his majors and he's worked only in the marine and automotive industry in his 27 year career.

As far as my asking the service advisor anything, this never happened. I supplied the video I recorded on Christmas Eve to him and he's the one who asked me what I thought caused it. I was hoping he would say something like "holy shit that video sounds awful, we'll have our mechanics figure this out". My perception was nobody at Ford acknowledged anything I mentioned or showed them happening on video was an indication of a problem. So, if my engine blows at mile 60,001, Ford will be off the hook regardless of what I showed them.
I’m experiencing the same. I have a few videos of mine showing the same thing. There is also stored codes for misfires but they won’t do anything because they can’t replicate it. Bringing it in has become a huge waste of time. I bought the extended warranty but I am finding it to be useless. I hope to get rid of it by summer at the latest.

maunissan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey guys - I'm having kinda of the same problem with mine.

I bought my XL two months ago and about one month ago the engine started to get very noisy - like a lot. I don't seen any engine-missfire light but the engine noise is so much louder than when I bought it. Specially when I release the gas pedal - it sounds like a lawn mower.

It really gets a bit better after it heats up. So im not sure if it's because of the cold (about 30 in NJ now) but I wonder what's happening and if I should take the car to the dealer to have it checked.

Not totally related but engine start-stop works when it wants now.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just had this happen. Running like shit, check engine light.

Great.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was kind of expecting piston slap due to looser clearances but given the frequency related to engine rpm, it seems more valve train related. Perhaps loose clearances on the valves. I have not looked into the 2.5 details. If it has mechanical valve adjustment, then they may be too loose(large) when the engine is that cold. I have an ecoboost with mechanical valve adjustment that really sounds nice at idle. I cannot hear it run when stopped at signal lights, and my AutoSS is dysfunctional so the engine IS running at stoplights(mostly).
If mechanical valve adjustment, I would check that first to see if they are at the loose end of the allowable. If hydraulic, it would be unusual for them to fail to close the clearance as the oil pressure would be at the higher end of the range due to viscosity of cold oil. In that respect it could be diminshed oil flow, but the lube is very light - 0Wxx - so should still flow well when cold.
It could also be the cam timing adjusting equipment - phasers - that are not shifting position as well as they should due to thicker oil slowing the flow.
Glad I am not under hood trying to figure this one out. I do think the engine will need to be chilled and have the cam cover removed so the valve train/cam timing gizmos can be inspected for clearance and operation.
Ford engineers should have heard or observed this when they test them in the controlled atmospheric conditions lab. Supposedly they park them for 24 hours in a sub-zero room(LARGE freezer) and then when all wired up to measure, they start them and observe operation. If your parts were at one end of the tolerance they could make noise not seen when other tests were run with parts that were closer to the middle of tolerance or at the other end. Tolerance in this case be passages or clearance between parts. Ford should stand up and either visit locally or send a replacement. I do not know if the noise will cause permanent damage or be harmless.
tom

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just had this happen. Running like shit, check engine light.

Great.
sorry to hear that, but I don't think it's related to this thread because you have an ecoboost and these other posts are hybrid.
Sponsored