First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fx4 Eco: Engine temperature gauge keeps going from 4 to 3 sticks and vice versa every minute or so while driving, anyone also has this issue ?
Sponsored

Mavman123

First Name
Joe Shmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick XLT
How's your coolant level?

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How's your coolant level?
This. First thing I'd check. Second thing I'd do is call the dealer. Could be a bad temperature sensor or a bad thermostat.

Has it been doing this for a long time or did it just start? Do you have an OBD scanner? They can usually read the temp sensor data in real time.

OP
OP
Fx4hOok

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This. First thing I'd check. Second thing I'd do is call the dealer. Could be a bad temperature sensor or a bad thermostat.

Has it been doing this for a long time or did it just start? Do you have an OBD scanner? They can usually read the temp sensor data in real time.
Been doing since i got it, i dont know if the cold weather could be the issue, has been below 32 everyday but my 15 camry gauge never moves dont matter what.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Been doing since i got it, i dont know if the cold weather could be the issue, has been below 32 everyday but my 15 camry gauge never moves dont matter what.
It also might be that the normal engine temp just naturally straddles the point between the bars on the gauge. But I'd call the dealer.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, I have not seen that on my 2.0 Eco FX4 LARIAT.

OP
OP
Fx4hOok

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It also might be that the normal engine temp just naturally straddles the point between the bars on the gauge. But I'd call the dealer.
Thats what it looks like, i just bought and odm at wal mart and went for a drive.
When there are 3 sticks temperature is 177.80 or below, 4 sticks 179.60, and temperature bounces between 177.80 to 179.60 t0 181.40 while driving, stays steady at 181.40 at idle, now the questions is, whats the engine
normal operating temperature suppose to be at ?
So the temperature bounces between 81, 82, 83 Celsius.
Does anyone have an odm and can check their temperature please ?

Last edited:

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thats what it looks like, i just bought and odm at wal mart and went for a drive.
When there are 3 sticks temperature is 177.80 or below, 4 sticks 179.60, and temperature bounces between 177.80 to 179.60 t0 181.40 while driving, stays steady at 181.40 at idle, now the questions is, whats the engine
normal operating temperature suppose to be at ?
So the temperature bounces between 81, 82, 83 Celsius.
Does anyone have an odm and can check their temperature please ?
Huh, didn't really expect that. 4 degrees variation isn't a lot and 181 seems like a reasonable idling coolant temp.

What's the outside temp in your area? Colder than usual?

Does the odb reader show the temp rise normally from ambient? You would start at ambient, the it would rise until the thermostat opens at which point it would drop some, then rise some and level off.

I checked the owners manual but couldn't find anything about the normal temp. What kind of ODB reader did you get? A stand alone or the kind that links with a phone app?

OP
OP
Fx4hOok

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Huh, didn't really expect that. 4 degrees variation isn't a lot and 181 seems like a reasonable idling coolant temp.

What's the outside temp in your area? Colder than usual?

Does the odb reader show the temp rise normally from ambient? You would start at ambient, the it would rise until the thermostat opens at which point it would drop some, then rise some and level off.

I checked the owners manual but couldn't find anything about the normal temp. What kind of ODB reader did you get? A stand alone or the kind that links with a phone app?
Stand alone, it is 17F outside.

Ford Maverick Engine temperature up and down 20220130_173407

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the thing we have to remember too is that the Fx4 package has a bigger radiator which helps with cooling. In colder climates like here in Maine it means we might see a bit more temperature variation depending on how the engine is running. Mine does the 3-4 bars thing as well but I have had no issues so far.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fx4hOok

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the thing we have to remember too is that the Fx4 package has a bigger radiator which helps with cooling. In colder climates like here in Maine it means we might see a bit more temperature variation depending on how the engine is running. Mine does the 3-4 bars thing as well but I have had no issues so far.
Thanks, so i am not the only one then, it is 17 outside, i wonder if this would happen when is 90 outside.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Makes sense.

FX4dude - Call the dealer and ask if they know what the operating temp should be and how much to expect it to vary. If you're in the ballpark then you know not to worry.

Recently my wife's car decided to run at a slightly higher temp as visible on the dash. The coolant looked a bit low so I topped it off. Since then it keeps running a bit higher but we've had it on long trips with no problems and the coolant level stays stable. I think it was a stuck temperature gauge.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most OEM thermostats are in the 190-195 range for emissions. What you're seeing seems normal for extreme cold weather and low load driving.
Sponsored