Sponsored

New car off gassing bothering anyone else or am I the only freak?

Axlesup

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85K10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got to love that new car smell!!!!!

I put an arm & Hammer baking soda box under my seat on day one. The kind with the cloth sides that you put in your fridge or freezer.

I keep one in every car I own always have always will.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jpv74

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the replies all......You guys are goin' easy on me I appreciate that. But again........its not the smell....not the smell...not the smell.........its whats causing the smell thats messin' with me a little bit. Admittedly I have sensitive lungs........I will just keep airing the truck out every chance I get. We have had beautiful weather here so I have just been leaving the windows down and letting fresh air flush out the chemicals.

OP
OP

jpv74

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are their chemicals off gassing in that friggin' bubble too? Nowhere is safe!

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

On day #2, I scotchgard(ed) all the seats and arm rests, installed rubber floor mats front and rear. It took a few days with the windows open to get all that smell out of there

Sponsored

OP
OP

jpv74

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey JP4 which Scotchguard did you use? Was it basically spray it and leave it application?

Mavboy2023

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick definitely has a unique new car smell, unlike one I’ve never experienced. Must be from all the recycled plastic.
What proof do you have for such a claim? I suspect none.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you post really nice someone here will drive it until the new off gassing has significantly diminished even if it takes a whole year!

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick definitely has a unique new car smell, unlike one I’ve never experienced. Must be from all the recycled plastic.
More likely left over tacos from Hermassillo plant.

Sponsored

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for the replies all......You guys are goin' easy on me I appreciate that. But again........its not the smell....not the smell...not the smell.........its whats causing the smell thats messin' with me a little bit. Admittedly I have sensitive lungs........I will just keep airing the truck out every chance I get. We have had beautiful weather here so I have just been leaving the windows down and letting fresh air flush out the chemicals.
You might consider swapping in a new cabin air filter with activated carbon to see if it helps. Activated carbon seems to be one of the few ways to actually remove airborne contaminants including VOCs.

$12 on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Activated-Compatible-Explorer-JX6Z19N619BA/dp/B0BLYPRTY6

Another $40 and you can double up on activated carbon filtration by adding a cup-holder air purifier too:
https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Enrichment-PureZone-Portable-Purifier/dp/B08NCSZGCN/ref=sr_1_3

edit - I'm not sure how sensitive you are but didn't VA just recently deal with wildfire smoke wafting down from Canada? If you've been driving with the windows down maybe the outside air is part of the issue? You can review archived air quality reports here in case there were specific days that were particularly problematic: https://gispub.epa.gov/airnow/index.html?tab=3

Last edited:
OP
OP

jpv74

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the suggestion...

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please keep an eye on yourself and go to the ER if things get worse. It's always possible this is cardiac related and nothing to do with the truck

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please keep an eye on yourself and go to the ER if things get worse. It's always possible this is cardiac related and nothing to do with the truck
That's what I was thinking. And it can come on you really fast. I never had any indication that I was having cardiac issues, then while on vacation, I started having severe shortness of breath. Blamed it on the elevation (I'm from Florida and we were at Yellowstone and Glacier). When we got home, the shortness continued, canceling that theory. Lucky me, I should have gone to the hospital right away, but I still survived. If you have shortness of breath, get checked ASAP.

Redline

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT shadow black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I read a post on this subject a while back and they concluded that it was coming from the floor mats. Give 'em a sniff and see. :poop:
Sponsored