First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pinto met federal safety standards at time it was designed and began manufacturing. It's generally accepted Pinto fuel tank delivered similar safety to other compact cars of the period. Ford did not omit parts that impacted fuel tank safety in 1969 to save money. The infamous cost benefit analysis was penned in 1973 that suggested Ford saved $11 per car. It was not even limited to Pinto or even Ford
My first car was a lime green 1971 Pinto. It was a hand-me-down from my brother.
Sponsored

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just for comparison to earlier builds, fast forward to the 0:47 mark in the video for a shot of the older exhaust setup:

Compared to pictures I took tonight:

Ford Maverick My tailpipe looks like it was patched 22F6650D-7404-47D0-A105-B19312807CE6

Ford Maverick My tailpipe looks like it was patched 29BBE99A-4FFB-4758-A31A-D6EB9FD22196

wb5oxq

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat in Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Somebody definitely done goofed up on the assembly line, looks more like a cut out than a patch, would definitely bring to dealers and ford’s attention though….i know for sure my EB doesn’t have something like that on the tailpipe
Mine has that too. What is it?

Sponsored

wb5oxq

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Is the muffler further up towards the middle of the maverick then?
How does a sound filter work? Is there something on the inside of the pipe? Does this replace the resonator?

Call sign "Slick"

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, this is normal. On both EcoBoost and Hybrids the resonator (used to be just before the tailpipe on early builds) was deleted in favor of the resonance patch seen here. All Mavericks going forward are built this way.

You can read more about this technology here.
Very comprehensive answer!
Thanks, it's a guick read.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How does a sound filter work? Is there something on the inside of the pipe? Does this replace the resonator?
See the post I linked or Call Sign Slick replied to. But yes, it replaces resonator.

wb5oxq

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I couldn't find search results, forgive if discussed!
Looked underneath today and tailpipe has a patch (lariat manufactured 9/22)
Is this normal?
IMG_1012.jpeg
The Resonance Free Pipe (RFP) takes the place of a traditional resonator with much less weight and bulk. Some vehicle applications however still use resonators. An RFP works by venting a small amount of gas through the mesh in the pipe to break up standing waves which cause resonance in longer pipe sections. No increase in backpressure. This is used on many late model GM trucks. The larger the engine the more patches they use. So there is the answer. No drone without the back pressure of a resonator.
Sponsored