2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm thinking it's...

A. Save a buck. in 1969 Ford marketed the Pinto as a sedan under 2K. to do this they cut parts...one cost a couple bucks that resulted in multiple deaths from the Pinto exploding for a rear end collision. The Ford Pinto - The American Museum of Tort Law. Why not cut parts to sell the truck cheap..resonator, rear defroster, etc, etc

B. might be a supply chain shortage. I read where this patch works. The rice burner forums are added multiple ones so their rides don't sound like crap. What's my point? If Ford intended on manufacturing with this patch.... why does it look like cheap afterthought weld.. not professional
Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking it's...

A. Save a buck. in 1969 Ford marketed the Pinto as a sedan under 2K. to do this they cut parts...one cost a couple bucks that resulted in multiple deaths from the Pinto exploding for a rear end collision. The Ford Pinto - The American Museum of Tort Law. Why not cut parts to sell the truck cheap..resonator, rear defroster, etc, etc

B. might be a supply chain shortage. I read where this patch works. The rice burner forums are added multiple ones so their rides don't sound like crap. What's my point? If Ford intended on manufacturing with this patch.... why does it look like cheap afterthought weld.. not professional
The first Model Pinto was a 1971.

The tailpipes are first bent, then the screen is welded on. It doesn’t need to be pretty to work.

My 2022 Level 2 $100k TRX has (4) screens that are virtually identical to the Mavericks, if I put a picture of each side by side you virtually could not tell the difference to include the welding, so a different perspective is that your Mavericks screen is just like that of a truck costing 4x of the Maverick. 🤣🤣

Last edited:

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A. Save a buck...

B. might be a supply chain shortage...
A and combined B are likely the answer. As metal prices have spiked a lot in the last 12 month Ford is likely trying to keep costs down, so they don't have to push the MSRP too high to turn off the entry level buyers.

As for the cheap look of the welds, looks like my work from high school in shop class. Must cost too much to do a clean job. I wonder if they even need a welding ticket in Mexico, or if they just grab whoever isn't the worst at it? For that matter we have no idea where the exhaust pipe is made, we just know the trucks are assembled in Mexico.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A and combined B are likely the answer. As metal prices have spiked a lot in the last 12 month Ford is likely trying to keep costs down, so they don't have to push the MSRP too high to turn off the entry level buyers.

As for the cheap look of the welds, looks like my work from high school in shop class. Must cost too much to do a clean job. I wonder if they even need a welding ticket in Mexico, or if they just grab whoever isn't the worst at it? For that matter we have no idea where the exhaust pipe is made, we just know the trucks are assembled in Mexico.
Based on the locator markings I'm going to guess this is one of the early versions of this exhaust part Ford is sourcing. They are most likely working on or have already completed the automation process, I suspect this was done cheap and quick by hand just to get them out of the door and meet Ford's requests and that later builds will have them welded on by automated machines and the welds will look more uniform although probably far from perfect.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The RAM TRX is assembled in Sterling Heights, Michigan and the screens look identical. I don’t know where the screens are actually manufactured. Heck, they may both be manufactured by the same entity, not sure where the welding occurs but it too is virtually identical to the Maverick.

One pic from a Maverick and one from a truck costing 4-5x. Which is which? LOL

Actually the TRX pic is representative, the welds on my truck's pipes are not quite as good....

Ford Maverick My tailpipe looks like it was patched uDzRsi

Ford Maverick My tailpipe looks like it was patched F63oAu

Last edited:

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Given that many manufactures source parts from the same suppliers that's not a surprise at all. The windshield wiper switch in the Maverick is identical in almost every way to the one in the Hyundai Elantra I rented earlier this year, likely made by the same supplier.

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking it's...

Pinto met federal safety standards at time it was designed and began manufacturing. It's generally accepted Pinto fuel tank delivered similar safety to other compact cars of the period. Ford did not omit parts that impacted fuel tank safety in 1969 to save money. The infamous cost benefit analysis was penned in 1973 that suggested Ford saved $11 per car. It was not even limited to Pinto or even Ford

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I stand corrected, was looking at the exhaust on my maverick out of curiosity from this thread tonight and low and behold, mine has the same patch as well with no traditional muffler like the earlier Mavericks, I’m wondering if this will actually be a good thing though as I seem to remember a thread where someone mentioned and showed a picture of their muffler already having some rust issues…. Of course this patch could just as easily be a place where rust can take hold, but I guess we shall see

p.s.
my maverick is an ecoboost that was manufactured at the end of august of this year

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I stand corrected, was looking at the exhaust on my maverick out of curiosity from this thread tonight and low and behold, mine has the same patch as well with no traditional muffler like the earlier Mavericks, I’m wondering if this will actually be a good thing though as I seem to remember a thread where someone mentioned and showed a picture of their muffler already having some rust issues…. Of course this patch could just as easily be a place where rust can take hold, but I guess we shall see

p.s.
my maverick is an ecoboost that was manufactured at the end of august of this year
you still have a muffler. this sound filter replaces a resonator, not a muffler.

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am going to take a look if I find this condition I will go to the muffler shop and have them weld in a piece of pipe. Just a rust trap in my opinion.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am going to take a look if I find this condition I will go to the muffler shop and have them weld in a piece of pipe. Just a rust trap in my opinion.
It's too small for exhaust to escape, too small for water vapor too. Replacing it will make your truck sound like @$$

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
you still have a muffler. this sound filter replaces a resonator, not a muffler.
Is the muffler further up towards the middle of the maverick then?

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update mine has a something. Be it a muffler, resonator or what ever. No nasty patch work.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I couldn't find search results, forgive if discussed!
Looked underneath today and tailpipe has a patch (lariat manufactured 9/22)
Is this normal?
IMG_1012.jpeg
Not on mine. Excellent place for corrosion to start around the weld. I would wire brush the weld and put some exhaust paint on it.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost