Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because his method is better? lol

Most decent brand bikes, like his Specialized, it takes literally 15 seconds to remove the front wheel and same to put them back on. So it's not a big deal at all.
Maybe in the old skewered Quick-Release axle days. The thru-axles take a bit longer, especially if they require an allen head tool (some do, some don't)
Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good project. Looking like a fresh take on Maverick limits has a few people making great progress, after the professional modders all but disappeared on MTC, things look exhausted on working around size limits…. For a few more inches extra had been my results in mocking up my Truck for tasks it should have been doable but just needed just a smig of extra room in one direction or another. Thankfully the bed is a square so if it wouldn’t work one way it still wouldn’t work the other.

Poultrygeist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I won't be removing wheels to haul a bike. There are better solutions.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't understand the opposition to removing the front wheel, it literally takes seconds. I'm also anti tailgate pad since I routinely store things in my bed and don't want to remove a tailgate pad every time I want to lock my hard rolling tonneau which is not compatible with a tailgate pad. I'd much rather remove my front wheel instead of a tailgate pad.

Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is how I did it using a no-weld method, it works great for my gravel bike and my mountain bike.

IMG_20230504_132847297.jpg

IMG_20230504_132857172_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230504_132908174.jpg
Could you share more? Seeing what you did but not figuring out how you did it. Like the no weld / no bolt?? For many other ideas/uses. I use magnet/bases for some things like this but that shouldn’t work in your case.

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You could do this many different ways, what we decided on was a 4ft long piece of 1/4 or 3/8inch thick steel bar 2 inches wide from Tractor Supply. Then it was welded to two pieces of angle iron cut to act as L-brackets, three inches tall. What is not shown is inside the wall of the bed, a second piece L-bracket similar to the one welded to the cross bar, but with nuts welded to it, that is what the bolts go to on the outer angle iron. We made those first, cutting them narrow enough to pass into the space through the wiring door directly above. Held them in place and outlined the existing holes in the bed to center the holes where the nuts would go. We used M8 bolts and had to drill out the existing holes to a larger diameter. Once we had the plate inside the wall of the bed lined up and drilled we determined where the hole in the outer plate would need to be to pass a bolt through snugly. After that we welded the cross bar to those (you could use bolts here instead, or if you had a longer bar and were careful perhaps you could bend the cross bar to 90 degrees on both ends instead). The Delta Thru-axle pro hitch mount is aluminum, so we made a L-bracket to bolt to that, so that we could weld it in place. You could just bolt the delta part down to the crossbar, but you would need to raise it further from the bed to fit the bolt head or nut. Lastly we attached the thru-axle pro hitch mount to the bike, and put the bike in the bed with the cross bar installed, found out where we wanted it positioned and marked the location on the crossbar, took everything apart and welded it in place. The Delta Thru-axle parts could absolutely be fabricated as well if you wanted, but I had already bought them. The other materials totaled around $60-80, the delta parts were I think $60 each. The most time consuming parts of this was definitely fitting the two L-brackets.

20230504_114846_001.jpg

20230504_114853.jpg
Oh nice, I don't have a welder but can probably use a drill press to drill some holes through some steel to attach them together using small bolts and nuts... Will look for the delta thru-axle parts though... Thanks.

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't understand the opposition to removing the front wheel, it literally takes seconds. I'm also anti tailgate pad since I routinely store things in my bed and don't want to remove a tailgate pad every time I want to lock my hard rolling tonneau which is not compatible with a tailgate pad. I'd much rather remove my front wheel instead of a tailgate pad.
For real, it takes seconds to remove the front wheel. Heck, if I'm just bringing my one bike, I just remove the front wheel, that way I can turn the handle bars sideways and I can fit the entire bike in the bed even with my tonneau cover on, lol. If I'm bringing 2, then I'll use the hitch bike rack I have.

Bret

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 RAM 3500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Could you share more? Seeing what you did but not figuring out how you did it. Like the no weld / no bolt?? For many other ideas/uses. I use magnet/bases for some things like this but that shouldn’t work in your case.
First I located the bracket and match drilled into the bed,( I selected the lower bumpout so the top of the bikes doesn't stick out above the cab ) then using AMJOY rivet nuts into the bed I attatched the brackets to the bed. I use the Rocky Mount adapter ( My home town of Grand Junction )for axel bikes. I open the tailgate slighly when using the adapter because most bikes are too long to ride with the gate closed.

Ford Maverick My custom in-bed bike storage solution IMG_20230506_071524167

Ford Maverick My custom in-bed bike storage solution IMG_20230506_071643422

Sponsored

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everyone has a solution that works for them Lots of good ideas here for those on the fence. I hang my bike on a Harbor Freight rack into my trailer hitch receiver.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had been wanting to come up with a way to ditch the hitch mounted rack for a while. The hitch rack works well but obscures the back-up camera, makes parking more difficult, hurt mpg with bikes loaded and messed with the aesthetics of the truck on a day-to-day basis. This solution was fabricated using a couple of the Delta Thru-Axle Hitch Pro adaptors and some stock steel pieces from tractor supply. Unintentionally the thru-axles can not be removed from these forks without the tailgate down, so locking the tailgate works as a kind of lock for the rack. Decided to paint the bar black instead of silver as I plan to get a spray-in bedliner soon.

20230428_180013.jpg

20230428_180028.jpg

20230428_182710.jpg
Nice setup, but I've always just used the bike carriers that hook up to trailer receiver.

OP
OP

Jack Crockett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prelude
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice setup, but I've always just used the bike carriers that hook up to trailer receiver.
Yeah I've got three kuat transfer racks, the 1,2,& 3 bike (plus a one bike extension to make the 3 a 4) but they just make the truck look busy when you're not carrying bikes 😅

Aspidochelone

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My version is very simple. Two pieces of scrap wood cut to size, one with a hole drilled then both glued together, not pretty but just tried it out today. It works great and i even tried snapping them apart and they wouldn't separate so it is sturdy enough. The larger piece fits flush in the slots and the tailgate shuts.

Ford Maverick My custom in-bed bike storage solution 20230507_085436

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Frankly, it's cool the OP has a bike partner. I wager most mountain bikers do not.

Here's my 29er strapped tight. Good for only 1 bike and no camera, but free and easy. I don't have to lug out my big hitch rack. Bike aint goin anywhere. The pedal is insulated by the rubber bed mat which has a nice give. The rubber hand grip and tire make contact in the front.

Ford Maverick My custom in-bed bike storage solution 20230506_120542
Sponsored

Last edited: