Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FX4 Atlas Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice I may consider that mat solution.

I been planning to buy a horse and cattle mat from Tractor supply. $50 for a thick 3/4" 4'x6' rubber mat. Only con is it weighs 94 pounds maybe 60 pounds after cutting to fit, but if it can hold up to horses and cattle in their stalls, then it will be tough enough for truck use. Also might be tougher to cut to size. It wont fly out thats for sure. I think I seen someone here mention buying it before.

Screenshot_20230121-191741_Chrome.jpg
I got the horse mat from Harbor Freight. It was very hard to cut. I finally ended up using a jigsaw. The piece on the tailgate is just laying there and will only be used if I have to haul something heavy and don't want my tailgate to get scratched up. I may eventually secure it if I can figure out how. I don't think velcro will hold it unless I use a lot of it.

Ford Maverick Bed mat and backflip midgate on a budget - my custom DIY solution 🪚 Maverick bedmat.JPG
Sponsored

Walter56

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got the horse mat from Harbor Freight. It was very hard to cut. I finally ended up using a jigsaw. The piece on the tailgate is just laying there and will only be used if I have to haul something heavy and don't want my tailgate to get scratched up. I may eventually secure it if I can figure out how. I don't think velcro will hold it unless I use a lot of it.

Maverick bedmat.JPG
Double sided VHB tape might work to secure to tailgate.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have those Tractor Supply horse mats in my shed and bike storage. They are absurdly heavy and unwieldy. Durable as all getout though.

I've had two of them outside for 3 years in the MN winters and they are still in great shape

OP
OP

Haroldb007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did go to the local harbor freight for that and they were out,expecting more in a few days, I wanted to get it dune on the next day ,to take advantage of the good temperatures and no rain. I think it will do for the light duty I'll be hauling

Sponsored

Fitzovich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks Great! Well Done 👍 and thanks for sharing the idea. Off to harbor freight for me……

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice I may consider that mat solution.

I been planning to buy a horse and cattle mat from Tractor supply. $50 for a thick 3/4" 4'x6' rubber mat. Only con is it weighs 94 pounds maybe 60 pounds after cutting to fit, but if it can hold up to horses and cattle in their stalls, then it will be tough enough for truck use. Also might be tougher to cut to size. It wont fly out thats for sure. I think I seen someone here mention buying it before.

Screenshot_20230121-191741_Chrome.jpg
Great idea for a pickup bed mat! It will hold up as long as you have your truck.

Back in the day I had an '82 Dodge Ram Royale I used to pull my 2-horse trailer. A local dealer made a mat for the horse trailers with cut up tires making kind of a grate covering, but it held up really well. I wanted a mat for my truck and had him make me one to fit my pickup bed, so I've had some type of a mat in all my trucks since. Spray-in liner for my last few trucks and my XL now, but the toughest was the horse mat.

rudedog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT, 2013 Toyota Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That back flip looks great. Since I do not have my Maverick yet, I can't try this but I'm wondering if it could be modified to also be a bed extender...

OP
OP

Haroldb007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rudedog,good thought,however the hollow areas in the bed side for a devider is the only location I could see to place the uprights and not have to drill the metal side. With out making the rack with another set of angles (each set of angles in wood makes the rack weaker even using glue and screws as I did) you would have to add the extra angles as well as make it about 24 inches deeper,this would extend well up in the bed and when flipped to become a bed extender,any cover you may have on the bed would need to be moved out of the way. That being said there are matching holes ,with rubber grommets in them closer to the gate,somehow using these opening to secure the uprights might work better for your application

Sponsored

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in love with your extender, do you happen to have the drawn plans that I might shamelessly derivate?

OP
OP

Haroldb007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry I didn't make a drawing,the best I can tell you is cut you some 2x2 and lay them out on the truck bed where you want them and carefully mark them to overlap. You will need to clear the fender, and when flipped ,clear the bed cover( which is roughly 17 inches) and then lay about 1 inch from the tale gate.hope this helps ,if you run Into problems get back on here, I'll see if I can help .some of the measurements are on the first page.

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No worries I can reverse engineer it fine, already sketched out different variations and made some test fits. You've done a great job, thanks for the tips and don't forget to show us your next mods!
Sponsored