First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, it's been a bit since I've posted, been busy out driving, maybe not as much, but still on the go. I actually hit 50k at the beginning of the month, so that would be in about 29 months of ownership.

This is mostly an incremental update and comparison and doesn't differ too much from my previous updates.

Nothing major in the last 10k miles, though there is a new recall (BCM for tail lamps). Doesn't sound like it will take a while, but is frustrating as I was just there a couple of weeks ago for an oil change and it could have been completed then. However, when I was there and speaking with the service consultant, she said they have replaced a few RDU's, but more of them on the Bronco Sports.

My weird door lock keeps happening and seems more frequent. The radio and it's gremlins still appear, though it hasn't done the not shutting off issue. Service manager said they could check again, but since I'm out of warranty, she said if it's not causing a problem to not worry about it.

Interior hasn't gotten any worse, other than showing some additional wear. Mostly to be expected as I'm always loading things in and out of it. I'm glad I got the spray in bedliner as that has held up well.

My gas mileage has decreased 1-2 mpg. This is driving the same routes and same gas stations for fillups. It's not seasonal as I've driven all the 1 season down here for 2.5 years! A drive that I would regularly get 30 mpg on, now I'm happy if I can get 28. My typical tankful now gets to just under 26, where I was closer to 28 before. No other issues have come up thankfully.

I have driven my sisters Lariat Hybrid some more. It is a quieter ride, the engine is quiet and smooth, and overall quality seems better. However, I will say the suspension in the AWD is much nicer and feels more composed on the road. If I could get an AWD Hybrid Lariat, that would be the way to go! I'll probably be looking to replace this later this year, but not sure with what is there isn't a lot that interests me at the moment that isn't overpriced!

Feel free to ask any questions about what you might have on the longevity or anything else.
Sponsored

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Other than sucky mileage, it sounds like it's been a good truck, so far!

If coming from a full-sized gazhog Ram, F-150 or silverado, 26 would sound like good mileage. A lot of new Hybrid Maverick owners are trading in old Asian-brand Hybrid cars, and would consider 26 unacceptable.

OP
OP
spyderman01

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Other than sucky mileage, it sounds like it's been a good truck, so far!

If coming from a full-sized gazhog Ram, F-150 or silverado, 26 would sound like good mileage. A lot of new Hybrid Maverick owners are trading in old Asian-brand Hybrid cars, and would consider 26 unacceptable.
I wouldn't call it sucky at all. It is still a truck that I carry my kayaks in and moved my daughter twice and many other trips! Just that it's dropped since I was at 30k and 40k. Oh, and I don't use premium fuel!

Carlitos_92

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 XLT EB AWD Lux FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Can't tell what year you have, but other than a couple of add-ons, we basically have the same truck in different colors.

Did you have Scorpions as the OEM tires? How many miles did you get (or are you still getting) out of them?

OP
OP
spyderman01

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can't tell what year you have, but other than a couple of add-ons, we basically have the same truck in different colors.

Did you have Scorpions as the OEM tires? How many miles did you get (or are you still getting) out of them?
Mine is a 2022, picked it up Dec 2021. So it's an early one. I think I got a little over 30k on the Scorpions. They were replaced, not because of wear, but I picked up a razor blade in the sidewall so they all had to be replaced. I have BF Goodrich Advantage T/As on them now and I think they ride a little better and seem to have worn better as well.

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The fuel stations are not sneaking more ethanol in the fuel where you live are they? Some have been changing from 10% to 15%, that would explain a loss in mpg, other than that ??

OP
OP
spyderman01

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The fuel stations are not sneaking more ethanol in the fuel where you live are they? Some have been changing from 10% to 15%, that would explain a loss in mpg, other than that ??
Nope, same gas stations, same 10% ethanol. Tires are different than when new, but now have 18k miles on them, so not a change there either. Only other item is at my last oil change they said I'm ready for all the other stuff (fuel injector cleaning and such). But I'm away from getting that done by many miles.

I just liken it to ageing of the car and lots of other wear factors. I check everytime I fill up, so it hasn't ben just cliff, just something that over a years time I've noticed.

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Replace the air filter. That is something that most times is overlooked but can reduce fuel economy. If you have done it recently I'm leaning toward tires check inflation.

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, it's been a bit since I've posted, been busy out driving, maybe not as much, but still on the go. I actually hit 50k at the beginning of the month, so that would be in about 29 months of ownership.

This is mostly an incremental update and comparison and doesn't differ too much from my previous updates.

Nothing major in the last 10k miles, though there is a new recall (BCM for tail lamps). Doesn't sound like it will take a while, but is frustrating as I was just there a couple of weeks ago for an oil change and it could have been completed then. However, when I was there and speaking with the service consultant, she said they have replaced a few RDU's, but more of them on the Bronco Sports.

My weird door lock keeps happening and seems more frequent. The radio and it's gremlins still appear, though it hasn't done the not shutting off issue. Service manager said they could check again, but since I'm out of warranty, she said if it's not causing a problem to not worry about it.

Interior hasn't gotten any worse, other than showing some additional wear. Mostly to be expected as I'm always loading things in and out of it. I'm glad I got the spray in bedliner as that has held up well.

My gas mileage has decreased 1-2 mpg. This is driving the same routes and same gas stations for fillups. It's not seasonal as I've driven all the 1 season down here for 2.5 years! A drive that I would regularly get 30 mpg on, now I'm happy if I can get 28. My typical tankful now gets to just under 26, where I was closer to 28 before. No other issues have come up thankfully.

I have driven my sisters Lariat Hybrid some more. It is a quieter ride, the engine is quiet and smooth, and overall quality seems better. However, I will say the suspension in the AWD is much nicer and feels more composed on the road. If I could get an AWD Hybrid Lariat, that would be the way to go! I'll probably be looking to replace this later this year, but not sure with what is there isn't a lot that interests me at the moment that isn't overpriced!

Feel free to ask any questions about what you might have on the longevity or anything else.
Glad you haven't had any major issues in 50k miles. 14 k on our 23 ecoboost. I hoping to get 15-20 years out of it like my dodges.

Oscarcat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Lariat, Lexus NX 300, PT Cruiser 5 spd. C172P
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Nice writeup. RE: Ride EB v. hybrid - I had a '22 EB Lariat FWD [not AWD] and now have a '24 hybrid Lariat. The '22 EB had a slightly more compliant ride than the hybrid. The hybrid feels stiffer. I attribute this to the EB having independent rear suspension and the hybrid have torsion bar rear suspension. But the 42-45mpg in the hybrid is worth it.

Sponsored

Shawn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

If you changed tires at 30k that night be part of your mileage drop. Not all tires will give the same fuel economy.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On the MPG loss 2 things to check, first is there oil build up in the intercooler. You have to remove it and flush it to find out. If it is an issue you might want to consider putting an oil catch can on your truck. Though with those installing one voids warranties and invalidates emissions inspections. They may also be outright illegal in certain states so if you put one on have a way to go back to stock before having the truck inspected.

The second issue is carbon buildup due to the fact the 2.0L ecoboost is a GDI (direct injection) as opposed to older port injection engines. What happens is in PI engines the the gas also works as a solvent and cleans the fuel injectors and valves as it is sprayed for combustion, DI engines it doesn't so every once in a awhile the system needs to be manually cleaned. This one will definitely become an issue at some point just not sure if it will be so at as early as 50k miles.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As far as the carbon buildup goes besides taking the engine apart, here are 2 possible options which you should do anyways to clean carbon buildup if performance is a priority.

One way to do so is as shown here.
https://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to-use-crc-gdi-intake-valve-cleaner/

The other is to use a fuel additive specially formulated for just this sort of thing like liqui moly dijectron. There maybe other products that do the same but I am not aware of any.

Blitz-Hacker

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for keeping us updated on your truck. I have a 2024 Lariat 2.0 AWD and will agree that it a lot quieter and rides better than my brothers 23 XLT with the premium pkg. My plan is to keep this until around the 80K mark and then trade for new. At 5k miles I am still on the fence about purchasing the Ford extended warranty. It sounds like if you had one you would of not used it yet correct? The other thing I have done from day one is use only tier 1 fuel (shell) and at 500 miles I changed the oil to full synthetic. I am hoping to avoid getting the DI Turbo engine gunked up. I will do 5k oil changes from now on. With the prices of mechanics these days I will let the next guy deal with all the things that probably will go south on Fords cheapest vehicle line in North America. (Maverick)

Master Blaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Master
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A 2mpg drop is a lot. Did that start after the new tires were put on? Are your new tires designed for EVs or are they more aggressive or deeper tread to cause more friction losses. Extreme carbon buildup on the intake valves could be an issue, but doubtful at that low mileage. Are you using the 962a1-specified oil? If not, there are more aromatics in the non-spec oil to cause more blow-by to gum up the backside of the valves. The hybrid has intake regurgitation as normal operation, and the EB has pretty large VVT angles, so lots of fuel get on the backside of the intake valves to clean the carbon off under normal conditions. That's assuming that you are using certified fuel. Are you using top-tier fuel, or just whatever is cheapest? Top-tier fuel has more additives that prevent carbon buildup. Shell, Chevron, Mobil/Esso and a couple of others are top-tier certified. One last thought - I'm in Canada and they mandated "cleaner" fuel that has less energy per gallon. It worth about that decrease in mileage. Do you have that crap fuel there too?
Sponsored