Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Same. The Maverick will actually be my first purchase from a domestic automaker after a lifetime of purchasing only Asian and German cars. The quality of Ford/GM/Dodge - particularly the interiors - back in the Explorer Sport Trac days contributed to that. I always swore I'd never buy an American vehicle.

Yet here is the Maverick, on order.
America is great. My sentiments are completely 180 degrees. You do you but I have never owned anything but American and I will keep it that way. Itā€™s a preference, grew up in a family of WWII vets. Itā€™s our way, doesnā€™t make it right or wrong itā€™s just our way. Freedom of choice is what make this the greatest country on Earth. Just my opinion and you are free to have yours which I truly respect.
Sponsored

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One word of caution on Maverick weights, most people are quoting the Ford marketing material that lists no differences for trims, so is likely the weight of a XL model without any options added.

Throw on a Lariat's laminated windshield, bigger wheels, tow package equipment, sunroof, spay in bed liner, tonneau cover, and the like and it can balloon pretty quickly.

Also note that the Maverick isn't wide or tall, but its decently long in order to have enough room for passengers without having a totally useless bed.
This is from the published spec sheet on Ford's website. Tonneau might add 50ish lb, a bed cap would add a few hundred, wheels might be a few LB difference per wheel type but I would imagine most optional features aside from those wouldn't have that big of an impact on weight.

Ford Maverick Maverick smaller than Explorer Sport Trac 1634523791287

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is from the published spec sheet on Ford's website. Tonneau might add 50ish lb, a bed cap would add a few hundred, wheels might be a few LB difference per wheel type but I would imagine most optional features aside from those wouldn't have that big of an impact on weight.

1634523791287.png
Yeah, I'm familiar with those numbers and have them on my spreadsheet too, but those IMO are likely "stripper" base numbers, an XL with no options.

Its lot of little things that add up here and there. Best is to look at people's actual door stickers, I believe it will list actual weight there for payload safety reasons. Has anyone posted theirs yet?

For example, a Santa Cruz SEL Premium and Limited are virtually identical major component wise save for leather and different wheels, and yet that alone accounts for 63lbs of weight since they list the weight of each trim.

Younglefthander

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 22 Bronco Sport Big Ben
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a sentiment you don't see very often...:sneaky:
Glad Iā€™m still around to make that comment. Definitely had a higher power looking over us that day.

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you want to talk about a totally useless bed, go take a look at a sport Trac in person!
I have had a Sport Trac for over 10 years now and hauled all manner of stuff. Useless? Hardly!

Sponsored

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a 2002 Sport Trac used with 50k on it. Traded in a 97 Ranger. Kept the ST for 12 years. I loved the truck hated the gas mileage. It hauled everything I ever needed to haul. Some times with the hard cover off and tail gate down for motorcycles. I always wanted a small truck like it that got greater gas mileage than 18mpg. I compared Maverick bed size to ST. Maverick is about 1 inch wider and longer. I know I will not be limited by bed size. I sure wasn't on the ST.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have had a Sport Trac for over 10 years now and hauled all manner of stuff. Useless? Hardly!
My 02 zinc yellow sport trac just moved me out of my 2000 sq foot house with ease and comfort. 179000 plus miles and the Bumble Bee will ride for many more.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The sport tracks bed is 4 feet. The Maverick is 4.5 and 6.5 with the tail gate down.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought the Maverick would be almost the same size as my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac but was surprised to see it's a bit smaller. Anyone have a pic of the Maverick parked next to the original Ranger?
20211016_161226_HDR-01.jpeg
Ford Maverick Maverick smaller than Explorer Sport Trac IMG_20211229_133615660
Here's my 97 Ranger XLT, 4x4 with 4L. Manual transmission. Almost 200,000 miles. I have rear heavy duty coil shocks so rides a bit higher. I like this truck but rear jump seats pretty useless. I've been saying for years wish Ford would just make a crew cab AWD Ranger, & with the Maverick, they did, though much nicer & efficient. I'm lucky if I get 20 mpg & goes from 0-60 in about 14 seconds, lol. Maverick a bit taller & wider also.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMG_20211229_133615660.jpg
Here's my 97 Ranger XLT, 4x4 with 4L. Manual transmission. Almost 200,000 miles. I have rear heavy duty coil shocks so rides a bit higher. I like this truck but rear jump seats pretty useless. I've been saying for years wish Ford would just make a crew cab AWD Ranger, & with the Maverick, they did, though much nicer & efficient. I'm lucky if I get 20 mpg & goes from 0-60 in about 14 seconds, lol. Maverick a bit taller & wider also.
p.s. This Maverick was at my Dealers place getting prepped for owner. Dealer had 3 Mavericks & 3 Bronco Sports in so far. I had test driven an Alto Blue Maverick here & looked at this one, then ordered my Carbonized Gray, Ecoboost XLT, AWD with towing package. So will be awhile.

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Per Google the 2003 Sport Trac base price was $23k... in 2003. That's $35k today.

BobS

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
I thought the Maverick would be almost the same size as my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac but was surprised to see it's a bit smaller. Anyone have a pic of the Maverick parked next to the original Ranger?
20211016_161226_HDR-01.jpeg
Thanks for brining up the Sport Trac, I'm a July 8th Hybrid order and beginning to think I may not get a build date. I've been researching used low mileage Sport Trac's as an alternative. Sounds like poor gas mileage of the Sport Trac is the biggest knock on it, which is the same conclusion I keep coming too. Wish there was a way to improve it. Good luck with everyone's order! (No sarcasm)

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And my 2003 ST has the V6 engine which still doesn't get great mileage. The V8 has to be worse.

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Personally, I like the size of the Maverick. Works well for me.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

America is great. My sentiments are completely 180 degrees. You do you but I have never owned anything but American and I will keep it that way. Itā€™s a preference, grew up in a family of WWII vets. Itā€™s our way, doesnā€™t make it right or wrong itā€™s just our way. Freedom of choice is what make this the greatest country on Earth. Just my opinion and you are free to have yours which I truly respect.
Yeah Ive never had anything but American cars, mostly because you have to work on everything else constantly(atleast in the used market). Parts cost alot when they are ordered form Europe or Japan. Plus there is the sizing, styling, and butt fit.

Its funny my sister had a SportTrac and that was a great truck for here for about 8 years. I loved the styling of em, size was just right too. The weight was a bit much, but it was still peppy at the time. It really does crack me up how many people on here just seem to hate American cars and styling. The only cars we made that werent all that great were usually competitors to imports that we didnt have. Like all the fwd economy cars of the 80s. Alot of them were junk but so was their foreign competiton. Anything with style we did pretty good on.
Sponsored