First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought the Maverick would be almost the same size as my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac but was surprised to see it's a bit smaller. Anyone have a pic of the Maverick parked next to the original Ranger?
Ford Maverick Maverick smaller than Explorer Sport Trac 20211016_161226_HDR-01
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick is substantially lighter than the Sport Trac too.
Maverick 3550 - 3750
Sport Trac 4583

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In many ways the Maverick feels like a downgrade. The old ST is an XLT with most of the whistles and bells, on-demand 4WD, cruise, power rear window, a tonneau cover, aluminum wheels, rear AC and audio control, and a lot of great memories. It is an animal in the snow and has been on some serious backroads.
To get what I can afford, a FWD Maverick XL, means giving up a lot. It's the new tech and a 40 mpg hybrid that is the draw for me. An Ecoboost Maverick would have little to offer the ST doesn't.
Am I crazy to part with the long-since-paid-for Sport Trac?

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought the Maverick would be almost the same size as my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac but was surprised to see it's a bit smaller. Anyone have a pic of the Maverick parked next to the original Ranger?
20211016_161226_HDR-01.jpeg
No surprise. SporTrac was Explorer based. The Maverick is Escape (BS) based. The Escape was smaller than a SporTrac too.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick is substantially lighter than the Sport Trac too.
Maverick 3550 - 3750
One word of caution on Maverick weights, most people are quoting the Ford marketing material that lists no differences for trims, so is likely the weight of a XL model without any options added.

Throw on a Lariat's laminated windshield, bigger wheels, tow package equipment, sunroof, spay in bed liner, tonneau cover, and the like and it can balloon pretty quickly.

Also note that the Maverick isn't wide or tall, but its decently long in order to have enough room for passengers without having a totally useless bed.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In many ways the Maverick feels like a downgrade. The old ST is an XLT with most of the whistles and bells, on-demand 4WD, cruise, power rear window, a tonneau cover, aluminum wheels, rear AC and audio control, and a lot of great memories. It is an animal in the snow and has been on some serious backroads.
To get what I can afford, a FWD Maverick XL, means giving up a lot. It's the new tech and a 40 mpg hybrid that is the draw for me. An Ecoboost Maverick would have little to offer the ST doesn't.
Am I crazy to part with the long-since-paid-for Sport Trac?
I'd be interested in the st

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be interested in the st
Interested in buying it? Might be a long while as I haven't ordered a Maverick yet and they tell me the line for the Maverick is a very
l----o----n----g
one. 😄

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One word of caution on Maverick weights, most people are quoting the Ford marketing material that lists no differences for trims, so is likely the weight of a XL model without any options added.

Throw on a Lariat's laminated windshield, bigger wheels, tow package equipment, sunroof, spay in bed liner, tonneau cover, and the like and it can balloon pretty quickly.

Also note that the Maverick isn't wide or tall, but its decently long in order to have enough room for passengers without having a totally useless bed.
If you want to talk about a totally useless bed, go take a look at a sport Trac in person!

Sponsored

MaximilianPaul

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know there was a definite community of people who liked that ST, but honestly one of my biggest fears with the Maverick was that they'd be similar. I keep seeing the ST's driving around where I live and I've always thought they look ridiculous. I liked the idea of them when they came out, but I think in styling and real functionality they left quite a bit to be desired. For the record, I really like Explorers of those years, too. It was just the ST that always looked kinda Frankenstein-esque to me.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know there was a definite community of people who liked that ST, but honestly one of my biggest fears with the Maverick was that they'd be similar. I keep seeing the ST's driving around where I live and I've always thought they look ridiculous.
Same. The Maverick will actually be my first purchase from a domestic automaker after a lifetime of purchasing only Asian and German cars. The quality of Ford/GM/Dodge - particularly the interiors - back in the Explorer Sport Trac days contributed to that. I always swore I'd never buy an American vehicle.

Yet here is the Maverick, on order.

Younglefthander

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 22 Bronco Sport Big Ben
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you want to talk about a totally useless bed, go take a look at a sport Trac in person!
Been there Done that. Small bed and the ST was tall as I remember it.
I loved our ST. Had one in 2008 and lost it when started to hydroplane on interstate at about 60 in the rain. Ended up losing control but fortunately lost control on overpass and crashed into the concrete barrier. Total loss. One thing I learned about the ST is that it is too too heavy. Without that barrier I shutter to think what would’ve happen if we had gone into the grassy medium.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same. The Maverick will actually be my first purchase from a domestic automaker after a lifetime of purchasing only Asian and German cars. The quality of Ford/GM/Dodge - particularly the interiors - back in the Explorer Sport Trac days contributed to that. I always swore I'd never buy an American vehicle.

Yet here is the Maverick, on order.
My late mother always used to say ‘ Never say Never.’ And of course mothers always best. 😊

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ended up losing control but fortunately lost control on overpass and crashed into the concrete barrier.
There's a sentiment you don't see very often...:sneaky:
Sponsored

Last edited: