Sponsored

Is the Maverick Just a Reborn Explorer Sport Trac

CarDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5e
When driving by a local Ford dealership today I saw what looked like from the distance a Maverick. Thinking the dealer had received a trainer, I turned around and went over to look at it. As I got closer, I realized it wasn't the Maverick-it was a used Ford Explorer Explorer Sport Trac. WTF. It is vey similar although dated since the last one produced was about 10 or more years ago. Anybody else see similarities?
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mav is smaller and doesn't have an available V8...I put it on par with an 02 ranger instead.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I kinda see the resemblance. Crew cab, 4.5 feet bed, almost same weight

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
When driving by a local Ford dealership today I saw what looked like from the distance a Maverick. Thinking the dealer had received a trainer, I turned around and went over to look at it. As I got closer, I realized it wasn't the Maverick-it was a used Ford Explorer Explorer Sport Trac. WTF. It is vey similar although dated since the last one produced was about 10 or more years ago. Anybody else see similarities?
Internals aside, the appearances are shockingly similar. Though I never had one myself, I wanted a Sport Trac for a long time and hoped they'd reinvent it somehow. The Maverick is more than close enough in my opinion.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
not really similar to Maverick. Sport Trac was a stretched Explorer platform with a bed. Bed is short as noted and made of some kind of composite plastic. It is overall much taller than Maverick and cabin looks to have more headroom. Sport track is rear wheel drive, with 4WD as option. V-6 or V-8 engine. It was made to compete with period mid-size trucks with much longer dimensions than Maverick. Made in USA too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer_Sport_Trac

I'd say a more comparable Ford product would be the Falcon Ranchero, like the 1 in my Avatar. That smaller generation were made 1960-65 and similar size to Maverick and Unibody.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
not really similar to Maverick. Sport Trac was a stretched Explorer platform with a bed. Bed is short as noted and made of some kind of composite plastic. It is overall much taller than Maverick and cabin looks to have more headroom. Sport track is rear wheel drive, with 4WD as option. V-6 or V-8 engine. It was made to compete with period mid-size trucks with much longer dimensions than Maverick. Made in USA too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer_Sport_Trac

I'd say a more comparable Ford product would be the Falcon Ranchero, like the 1 in my Avatar. That smaller generation were made 1960-65 and similar size to Maverick and Unibody.
I think of it as a unibody ā€˜90s era ford ranger with ā€˜modernā€™ technology

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I kinda see the resemblance. Crew cab, 4.5 feet bed, almost same weight
Maverick weight 3550-3750
SportTrac weight 4583

Abox5

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hope so, Iā€™ve owned 3 Sport Tracs. They are great little trucks. Best ride quality of any truck Iā€™ve every been in.
Sponsored