First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the concept and it seems your builder put some thought into the design so as to not screw up the lines of the truck. I have a question and apologies for my ignorance, but how in the world do you enter and exit and the tent area? That looks like a heck of a first step.
Oh wait, I see now. A ladder. So, never mind.
Sponsored

ThrowbacK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corolla SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just put the 245 tires on this week and need to do more driving before I have any good data. But the camper with the stock 225 tires, I saw normal gas mileage around 25 mpg with city/hwy. Sure, in a direct excessive head wind, the fuel economy would drop from normal. But I didnā€™t see much of a difference from driving with a camper to no camper. This was a normal highway drive from downtown to my house doing 70-75 mph with the camper:
A410D8B3-6B9F-4EC2-8711-EA222FE2EF03.jpeg

I think the hybrid fuel economy with the camper could be unreal!!!
I've never seen 34 mpg with my truck and I don't even have a camper... damn

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess I just don't understand the appeal of camping up on the roof of a truck. I have to pee at least once or twice per night and I imagine it would suck to use a ladder. For less than $1,000 I can get a very nice four person Backpackers tent and a top of the line inflatable camping mattress pad or tent cot. And I've never owned a tent that I can't set up or tear down in less than 15 minutes.

I mean I guess my setup wouldn't look as #overland or #instagrammable but I think it would work just the same.

Not trying to be rude can somebody just explain this to me?

Reactions: bgn

Dancebuff

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess I just don't understand the appeal of camping up on the roof of a truck. I have to pee at least once or twice per night and I imagine it would suck to use a ladder. For less than $1,000 I can get a very nice four person Backpackers tent and a top of the line inflatable camping mattress pad or tent cot. And I've never owned a tent that I can't set up or tear down in less than 15 minutes.

I mean I guess my setup wouldn't look as #overland or #instagrammable but I think it would work just the same.

I think women would feel much safer up higher off the ground. Not as easy a target for a bear or an intruder. And you're all set wherever you go without having to pack your tent ahead of time. You have a place to sleep whenever and wherever you want. Zero planning, zero packing. Allows for spontaneity in life.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
If I could afford 10k for a tent, I probably wouldn't be buying a Maverick.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DrIllyich

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XLT: lux and fx4 package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hear me out; my intention is not to be negative, however, when priced out, this comes to almost $10,000 when you include some important accessories and, for me, a $1,000 delivery fee.

$7,700 - Base camper
$1,000 - Deliver fee
$400 - Top-side cross bars ($200 each)
$300 - Ladder
$150 - Hardware to attach a side awning (awning not included)
$250 - Top-side solar attachment trays (requires top-side cross bars)

$9800 - Total

For $10-$12,000, I can get a Coachman Clipper Express 9.0 hard-sided pop-up trailer with a bathroom, real bed, kitchen, solar panels, side awning, etc. These trailers are so light they can be towed by Mavericks without 4k towing (hybrid or EB) and will barely affect MPG. Plus, they aren't permanently attached to the truck.

2022 Coachmen Viking Express 9.0TD For Sale in Jacksonville, FL - RV Trader

$10,000 for what is essentially a tent seems excessive. But again, this is just my opinion and it's up to each person to purchase whatever they like.
My camper out the door was $8225. The camper is more than a tent. Itā€™s a fully enclosed area to store my gear and use it for everyday stuff that fits my lifestyle. I can put 500 lbs on the roof when closed. I can strap kayaks, snowboards, skis, fly rod boxes, and even hang an awning from the side of the extrusion. I can store my fridge, bike, and range gear all inside the bed and trust that it is locked. I selected the factory Ford tonneau cover on my order, and you just canā€™t beat the room that a topper gives you over a tonneau cover. For instance, I recently moved into a new home and the amount of crap that I threw in the bed and could easily access it from all sides of the vehicle was a game changer. Yes, when I want to go camp, the tent pops open in 2 secs and closes in 15-30 secs. But the tent does not inhibit how I use my Maverick. In short, it keeps my truck a truck and is there when I need it, but not in the way when I donā€™t.

I like the concept and it seems your builder put some thought into the design so as to not screw up the lines of the truck. I have a question and apologies for my ignorance, but how in the world do you enter and exit and the tent area? That looks like a heck of a first step.
Oh wait, I see now. A ladder. So, never mind.
The step from the tailgate is not bad at allā€”much better than any other mid or full size truck on the market. I like climbing up into the tent from inside the bed, but as you noted, you can also use a ladder to access the tent.

For starters, not all of us are old and have to pee in the middle of the night lol. In all seriousness, I believe you are getting caught up on the tent like others. The purpose of the camper is to keep your truck a truck and give you access to a tent when you need it while not changing the driving dynamics of the vehicle. This set up is not for everyone, but for those whose lifestyle aligns with using your bed for lots of things and you want to maximize bed storage and security, but also want to camp, you wonā€™t find a better integrated set up. I donā€™t think I mentioned this anywhere else, but the entire camper weighs 250 lbs.

Also, you have gold rims on your Maverick. So donā€™t lecture me on trying to look #Overland or #Instagrammableā€¦ šŸ˜‚

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The truck camper set-up gives the occupants a little more security than a tent on the ground. Also, less to worry about insects, reptiles, and the weather. An overnight rain pour could make a ground tent very uncomfortable and even dangerous. Boils down to lifestyle and preferences when camping out. I did my share of tent camping in my 20's and 30's. Never a problem. Moved on to an RV. Something us older folks do for comfort and convenience.

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For starters, not all of us are old and have to pee in the middle of the night lol. In all seriousness, I believe you are getting caught up on the tent like others. The purpose of the camper is to keep your truck a truck and give you access to a tent when you need it while not changing the driving dynamics of the vehicle. This set up is not for everyone, but for those whose lifestyle aligns with using your bed for lots of things and you want to maximize bed storage and security, but also want to camp, you wonā€™t find a better integrated set up. I donā€™t think I mentioned this anywhere else, but the entire camper weighs 250 lbs.

Also, you have gold rims on your Maverick. So donā€™t lecture me on trying to look #Overland or #Instagrammableā€¦ šŸ˜‚
Your argument is not really compelling. Just get a top box or tonneau (sp?) cover for $3000 or less that will secure your bed items. Guess what, my 3 person tent (probably bigger than this top box tent), sleeping bag and pad fit under the rear seat of my Mav where, you guessed it, it doesn't effect the driving dynamics of my truck AND its always there when i need it.

AND FINALLY - MY RIMS ARE BRONZE not gold....shame on you. :LOL:

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The truck camper set-up gives the occupants a little more security than a tent on the ground. Also, less to worry about insects, reptiles, and the weather. An overnight rain pour could make a ground tent very uncomfortable and even dangerous. Boils down to lifestyle and preferences when camping out. I did my share of tent camping in my 20's and 30's. Never a problem. Moved on to an RV. Something us older folks do for comfort and convenience.
Thanks Rain and Reptiles would be a good argument. Worth $7k to $10k for that security - not sure.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks Rain and Reptiles would be a good argument. Worth $7k to $10k for that security - not sure.
Agreed. At those prices, I'd opt for a small trailer that gives one many more 'home' comforts - potty, stove, sink, water, heat and perhaps A/C.

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think in the video the guy said they are making 40 a week and running 8 to 12 weeks behind . So there must be a market and a need for this style of topper . Granted it is not for every one, but it is for some . I would consider it a good option . For trips that I go by myself and pull my motorcycle on a trailer ,this would be perfect .

OP
OP

DrIllyich

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your argument is not really compelling. Just get a top box or tonneau (sp?) cover for $3000 or less that will secure your bed items. Guess what, my 3 person tent (probably bigger than this top box tent), sleeping bag and pad fit under the rear seat of my Mav where, you guessed it, it doesn't effect the driving dynamics of my truck AND its always there when i need it.

AND FINALLY - MY RIMS ARE BRONZE not gold....shame on you. :LOL:
Itā€™s not compelling because you donā€™t live a lifestyle where it makes sense. Again, itā€™s not for everybody.
Life isnā€™t always about saving money. We all make purchases which could be deemed as a waste from another personā€™s point of view. Also, nearly every topper on the market for the Maverick looks like absolute trash aesthetically, so that was another influence as to why I went with the GFC.

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Itā€™s not compelling because you donā€™t live a lifestyle where it makes sense. Again, itā€™s not for everybody.
Life isnā€™t always about saving money. We all make purchases which could be deemed as a waste from another personā€™s point of view. Also, nearly every topper on the market for the Maverick looks like absolute trash aesthetically, so that was another influence as to why I went with the GFC.
Maybe because I'm an old codger, this tent camper doesn't work for me! Still when I analyze it's function and utility, it checks every box (except old codgers)!
@DrIIIyich, I admire your people skills!

OP
OP

DrIllyich

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe because I'm an old codger, this tent camper doesn't work for me! Still when I analyze it's function and utility, it checks every box (except old codgers)!
@DrIIIyich, I admire your people skills!
I donā€™t think itā€™s an age thing. A lot of GFC owners tend to be older. I just think for those that donā€™t see the value of this set up, it doesnā€™t fit their lifestyle, which there is nothing wrong with. Very few products are made for everyone. So yes, it still checks the box for old codgers. You just might need to crawl out of the tent at night to pee šŸ˜‚
Sponsored