Sponsored

LiquidPrime

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Cruz SEL AWD
So nice. I saw a video of a dude who went absolutely bananas on this build with laser cut stuff and all and I do mean ALL the goodies. What a cool compact solution. you will envy his build know how.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DrIllyich

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XLT: lux and fx4 package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@DrIllyich awesome. Been jealous of the Tacoma setup for months and now we have it for the Maverick. Ordered for my hybrid!
Awesome! I can’t wait to hear what this set up yields on the hybrid. I am thinking about ordering a 23 hybrid. I live in Bozeman and wanted the AWD for winter driving or else I would had for sure got the hybrid.

Are you planning on coming to GFC for the install?

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awesome! I can’t wait to hear what this set up yields on the hybrid. I am thinking about ordering a 23 hybrid. I live in Bozeman and wanted the AWD for winter driving or else I would had for sure got the hybrid.

Are you planning on coming to GFC for the install?
yes I am coming to GFC for the install! (First slot was mid-Oct though)

What did you do for the rooftop antenna? I assume it needs to be taken off / replaced or does it fit under the rooftop tent?

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Saw this setup while on vacation at Palisades State Park S.D. XLX hybrid said Just married on the tailgate
If the Mav is rockin' don't come knockin'.
After my wedding I camped at White Pines, a bit east of there.Summer is good.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DrIllyich

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yes I am coming to GFC for the install! (First slot was mid-Oct though)

What did you do for the rooftop antenna? I assume it needs to be taken off / replaced or does it fit under the rooftop tent?
Cool! Feel free to hit me up if you want to grab dinner or something.

Just unscrew the antenna. The shark fin, which houses the antenna will stay put and have plenty of clearance to the tent.

Zxdiac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Volt, 2016 Jeep Renegade, 2000 Montero
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is the best camper solution so far, and it's not even close. For the price of just a basic ass camper, you get a camper with opening-fricken-sides and a tent?! Man, it honestly seems to good to be true.

OP
OP

DrIllyich

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice. My concern was just because of the whole unibody cap issue with no where for water to go. However I suppose that 98% of that is covered by the over cab coverage. Then the rest held back by a seal would likely evaporate. Not that I have that issue in Hawaii but I would keep an eye on it during winter this year for freezing water.
That’s a warranted concern. Since this was a prototype camper, I ran it a couple weeks with no seals on the camper. On one occasion, I took it through the car wash with 3 bags of airport luggage and it did amazingly good and kept everything dry except one bag—some water got in near the tailgate area (this is common for any truck bed as gaps are intentional left around the tailgate to drain water) and the water dried out very quickly. I plan to add some weather stripping around the tailgate, then add a Bed Rug and I should be set. It has been dry in July and August in Montana, so I am looking forward to getting more precipitation in the coming months lol.

NoMoneyNoTime

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ass camper
Cue inane Beavis & Butthead laughter. Then in Butthead's voice, "You said 'ass camper'."

But no, seriously though, there are definitely cheaper ways to go camping but I think that you're right that you get what you pay for out of this product.

The ARE HD topper that is reinforced to accommodate a rooftop tent would be $3,250 if featureless (but of course there would need to be extra features to be on par with GFC), and that would mean that a third-party rooftop tent would be hanging up in the air creating a lot of excess drag, weathering, and grime buildup. That's in addition to being heavier. The shell would have a lower ceiling. Also, there'd be no bed-to-tent pass-through, which I feel could add a lot of functionality in wet weather. Looking at REI's Labor Day sales, every single one of the wedge-shaped tents in a hard shell container is over $3,000.

Myself, I'm honestly torn between this and keeping my popup trailer, which is certainly roomier and more comfortable but that I have to haul on at least a thousand-mile round trip to get to any mountains. For what I'm paying in maintenance, depreciation, and extra gas, that thing is costing me about the same as a budget hotel just to go boondocking and then still have to poop in a bucket.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Cue inane Beavis & Butthead laughter. Then in Butthead's voice, "You said 'ass camper'."

But no, seriously though, there are definitely cheaper ways to go camping but I think that you're right that you get what you pay for out of this product.

The ARE HD topper that is reinforced to accommodate a rooftop tent would be $3,250 if featureless (but of course there would need to be extra features to be on par with GFC), and that would mean that a third-party rooftop tent would be hanging up in the air creating a lot of excess drag, weathering, and grime buildup. That's in addition to being heavier. The shell would have a lower ceiling. Also, there'd be no bed-to-tent pass-through, which I feel could add a lot of functionality in wet weather. Looking at REI's Labor Day sales, every single one of the wedge-shaped tents in a hard shell container is over $3,000.

Myself, I'm honestly torn between this and keeping my popup trailer, which is certainly roomier and more comfortable but that I have to haul on at least a thousand-mile round trip to get to any mountains. For what I'm paying in maintenance, depreciation, and extra gas, that thing is costing me about the same as a budget hotel just to go boondocking and then still have to poop in a bucket.
I live off grid and poop in a bucket at home lol. Well a compostable bag in a bucket then we toss the bag in our poop "daalek" which composts it over the next year(we have a series of them). Then its back to the earth. Ohh the joys of living on a half a million dollar piece of property with nothing but a tiny cabin and no utilites. :ROFLMAO:

For me it would serve as a great topper, however I would have to make windos for the doors for my dogs. And an excellent vehicle to get us camping again. Which for us is just a short drive to the beach and then chill. Would be super easy. But at $8000 I may just have to hang my hammock till it rains.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is the exact tent that I want for a Maverick (although 4" wider would be nice) and was going to look at building a setup to enclose and mount it. I'm glad they came out with the whole setup. While not cheap, it is within reason. Once I finally get my Maverick, I'll order one of these. It will be great for road trips.

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This is the exact tent that I want for a Maverick (although 4" wider would be nice) and was going to look at building a setup to enclose and mount it. I'm glad they came out with the whole setup. While not cheap, it is within reason. Once I finally get my Maverick, I'll order one of these. It will be great for road trips.
I am thinking the same thing . I have been waiting 9 months ,how long for you ? I think when they tell me my Maverick is going into production I will place the GFC order .

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am thinking the same thing . I have been waiting 9 months ,how long for you ? I think when they tell me my Maverick is going into production I will place the GFC order .
Mine is not ordered yet. I held off for year 2. I will be ordering ASAP.

Pastor_Zatx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hear me out; my intention is not to be negative, however, when priced out, this comes to almost $10,000 when you include some important accessories and, for me, a $1,000 delivery fee.

$7,700 - Base camper
$1,000 - Deliver fee
$400 - Top-side cross bars ($200 each)
$300 - Ladder
$150 - Hardware to attach a side awning (awning not included)
$250 - Top-side solar attachment trays (requires top-side cross bars)

$9800 - Total

For $10-$12,000, I can get a Coachman Clipper Express 9.0 hard-sided pop-up trailer with a bathroom, real bed, kitchen, solar panels, side awning, etc. These trailers are so light they can be towed by Mavericks without 4k towing (hybrid or EB) and will barely affect MPG. Plus, they aren't permanently attached to the truck.

2022 Coachmen Viking Express 9.0TD For Sale in Jacksonville, FL - RV Trader

$10,000 for what is essentially a tent seems excessive. But again, this is just my opinion and it's up to each person to purchase whatever they like.

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hum…. That Viking looks like a pretty nifty set up for the price, which is less than most teardrops. Fits in a normal garage too.
Sponsored