First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have driven hybrid cars since 2006. I have never had a bad braking experience in a Hybrid until I bought my hybrid truck.

I have always felt the brakes in my truck were not very responsive. When on an incline, and I release the brake, I sometimes get a loud thump. Something is just not right. I know there is a tsb out there and I have tried to get an appointment to have 2 recalls done and the tsb. The dealer says they do not have the air bags so my appointment is on hold until they get the parts.

Today I was in 90 minute traffic delay. There was an accident and cars were not moving. I was constantly stopping and going. The brake performed terribly. They never seemed to smoothly stop when going 5 to 10 mph. As I said before, I have driven hybrids for years and never had this problem with 2 cars I own.

Im hoping the tsb will solve the braking problem.

Has anyone who had the TSB, seen an improvement after the TSB?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TxMaverick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
Undecided
Just got the truck back after getting the TSB done (went in for a new gas tank - cracked filler neck - and got the update done) and have driven about 20 miles. I can say that I did not get any abrupt low speed stops. Braking feels smoother overall (can barely notice the transition to physical brakes <5 MPH). Hopefully it stays this way and does not revert after time like it has for others on the forum.

Cad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My tsb was done this week. It was a godsend,, last 2 days have been great, no more panic stops when it just didn’t want to. Hope it lasts. Techs had to call the Ford engineers since this was their 1st one they did. Service manager said the engineers are looking at doing another update in 6 months to fine tune.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a fairly steep driveway going into my garage. I often park on this incline when I work on projects inside the garage.

I learned with the Prius. Hold foot on brake and put car in neutral and set the parking brake. Release the foot brake and let the car set itself against the parking brake because it is in neutral it may roll 1/2 inch. Now put the car in park and shut it off. Now when I stat the Prius the transmission has not stress against it in park and will never CLUNK when I put it in reverse or drive.

So using the same logic with my Hybrid Maverick, I back out of the garage to where I wish to park on the incline. I hold the truck with the foot brake and turn the dial to N and lift up on the park brake button. Once I see the steady brake line on the dash I let of the foot brake and the truck moves ever so slightly downhill as the weight is transferred to the parking brake. I then put the truck in P. Now when I am ready to go, I start it, put it in R or D and never a clunk. I then release the parking brake.

If you understand the difference, then you know all I am doing it making sure the brake is holding the truck on the hill and not the transmission interlock. The transmission is now just a backup should the parking brake fail.

Rod

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have driven hybrid cars since 2006. I have never had a bad braking experience in a Hybrid until I bought my hybrid truck.

I have always felt the brakes in my truck were not very responsive. When on an incline, and I release the brake, I sometimes get a loud thump. Something is just not right. I know there is a tsb out there and I have tried to get an appointment to have 2 recalls done and the tsb. The dealer says they do not have the air bags so my appointment is on hold until they get the parts.

Today I was in 90 minute traffic delay. There was an accident and cars were not moving. I was constantly stopping and going. The brake performed terribly. They never seemed to smoothly stop when going 5 to 10 mph. As I said before, I have driven hybrids for years and never had this problem with 2 cars I own.

Has anyone who has the tsb seen an improvement after the tsb?
Yeah, the braking issue is irritating. If the hold brake feature is enabled in stop and go traffic, it’s even more irritating. I can’t stand that feature as you’ve got to hit the gas to get the truck moving which on mine, creates a jerking. I’m not talking about the hill assist feature.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my 2023 Maverick which would have had the TSB implemented before production completion is better than my 2022 was, but it is still annoying. Other hybrid cars are better at this.

I suspect you can learn to drive around it, but you shouldn't have to.

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My brakes still feel suuuper weird on rainy days. I know this sounds insane… but it’s true.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Has anyone who has the tsb seen an improvement after the tsb?
Not a cure for the braking issue in standard, eco, or even slippery mode but when in heavy stop and go traffick push the Low button while in any drive mode which changes actions significantly. Regen braking is enhanced and generally you can almost one pedal drive and hydraulic activation is also different. If in low and traffic fluctuates between stop and 40mph for 20-30 minutes you might fill HVB to 70-72% SOC and engine braking will switch on. The first time you experience engine braking at 35-40 mph in low the rpm will significantly increase to what might startle you. If so just disengage the Low.

OP
OP
ValenciaOrange

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not a cure for the braking issue in standard, eco, or even slippery mode but when in heavy stop and go traffick push the Low button while in any drive mode which changes actions significantly. Regen braking is enhanced and generally you can almost one pedal drive and hydraulic activation is also different. If in low and traffic fluctuates between stop and 40mph for 20-30 minutes you might fill HVB to 70-72% SOC and engine braking will switch on. The first time you experience engine braking at 35-40 mph in low the rpm will significantly increase to what might startle you. If so just disengage the Low.
Thank you. After driving for 40 plus years, I don’t feel that I need or want to to learn a new way to use brakes. Ford should just realize there is a problem and correct it. Never have I had brakes that grab and make a loud noise at slow speeds. At times the loud bang scares passengers in the truck.

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you. After driving for 40 plus years, I don’t feel that I need or want to to learn a new way to use brakes. Ford should just realize there is a problem and correct it. Never have I had brakes that grab and make a loud noise at slow speeds. At times the loud bang scares passengers in the truck.
if you hear a loud bang something is very wrong.
My 2023 hybrid's brakes are a bit touchy but were very easy to get used to . I think it's the regen going on that makes them like that.
I did drive a 2022 at Carmax that the brakes were super touchy at slow speed, no doubt it never had the TSB done because it was horrible.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah, the braking issue is irritating. If the hold brake feature is enabled in stop and go traffic, it’s even more irritating. I can’t stand that feature as you’ve got to hit the gas to get the truck moving which on mine, creates a jerking. I’m not talking about the hill assist feature.
I've never felt the need for that. Although it's hilly by me I do just fine without it. Never even tried it as there's plenty of other widgets to get used to. I miss a lot of manual controls that made operation simpler.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for the tip

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My brakes still feel suuuper weird on rainy days. I know this sounds insane… but it’s true.
Did you have the TSB preformed? I have not had it done yet and the only time my breaks act up are on damp/snowy or rainy days...

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you have the TSB preformed? I have not had it done yet and the only time my breaks act up are on damp/snowy or rainy days...
My dealer mechanics checked and said it had the latest update already. It was raining today and they felt quite bad. I realized that they don’t really feel normal when you’re coming up on stopped traffic and braking, then it’s like it forgets to apply the discs until the last second. It makes you feel a bit detached from the driving experience.

Last edited:

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealer mechanics checked and said it had the latest update already. It was raining today and they felt quite bad. I realized that don’t really feel normal when you’re coming up on traffic braking, then it’s like it forgets to apply the discs until the last second. It makes you feel a bit detached from the driving experience.
Then it sounds like the fix doesn’t fix anything….
Sponsored