Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just returned from our vacation. Yes it looks like ass. But it worked perfectly and stayed anchored securely.
Probably won’t be using it again for another year so staying under $200 made sense to me.

887FFB6C-1D1E-4D06-86A5-5BCB4E64708A.jpeg
EAFFDC86-93DC-4631-AB64-FFFD7C18D2C1.jpeg
You should try one of those cargo carriers that fit into your hitch. Much easter to access.
Sponsored

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Check Ebay They have lots of roof carriers that will work starting at about$80

Payton333

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is awesome thread. Watching it.

I think you could still do a bed rack if you DIY a bed slide out tray. You wouldn't need to flip up your tonneau cover.
20220625_200643.jpg
Do you have a link to this thread. I’m interested!

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

They also have inflatable roof racks.

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
'MERICA
Threads
Reaction score
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you want a really reasonable option (non-locking) I bought this off Ebay ($65) and it fits very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254369960945

Comes with three different sized clamps. I took the smallest ones and straightened them out a bit (clamped in a vise and bent by hand). It fits perfectly on the black channels. Front and rear racks are set about 3/4" different in length.

All in all, a good super cheap solution. I will grab a photo of it on the truck a bit later today.

Showing out of stock.
Looks like a similar one for $69.00 at Amazon

link

Last edited:

Sponsored

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
'MERICA
Threads
Reaction score
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Glad I clicked on this thread - I had shopped for some cheap racks months ago but nobody had any experience with any at that time. $65 is cheap for a set of racks. I already have a cheapass cargo basket this will complete the cheapass circle. :ROFLMAO:
🙏 Please share your cargo basket information for a fellow "cheapass"

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you have a link to this thread. I’m interested!
I was referring to this thread.

If you're referring to the slide out tray, that's what I built after watching of YouTube videos. Just search PICKUP TRUCK SLIDE OUT TRAY on YouTube and you'll see a bunch of DIY builds. Here's one.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is a photo of the installation. Pretty low profile. Misses the antenna nicely. Fairly minor wind noise (I've added a kayak rack which does up the noise). But the rack fits really nicely and only takes a minute or two to remove or replace once you've set it up. I recommend writing front and rear on the appropriate racks as they are slightly different lengths

1661116285775.jpeg
Looks like a nice fit, are the brackets painted or rubber coated? After use, any signs of paint wear? Thanks for sharing!

Inspector1

First Name
NIgel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Looks like a nice fit, are the brackets painted or rubber coated? After use, any signs of paint wear? Thanks for sharing!
The brackets are painted but come with some stick on rubber pads. Not fancy but they work. No paint wear so far. The supplier I ordered from is showing out of stock now but Ebay has lots of sellers listing the same brackets. They are pretty generic.

Sponsored

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The brackets are painted but come with some stick on rubber pads. Not fancy but they work. No paint wear so far. The supplier I ordered from is showing out of stock now but Ebay has lots of sellers listing the same brackets. They are pretty generic.
Good deal! I'm pretty disappointed the maverick didn't come with a factory option for bolted down roof rails which seems to be common option on every suv and pickup. When I ordered my Mav, I told the sales guy I wanted the approx. $700 roof rack option. He said since it's a dealer install, don't order it, but get it later as it might slow down my build date. He didn't mention it's nothing more than a $100 eBay type rack system. Glad I didn't pay many hundreds more for it.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
🙏 Please share your cargo basket information for a fellow "cheapass"
It was something I found at walmart a few months back when we went on vacation. Turns out it wasn't cheap at all I bought it because we needed it fast.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the beefy hand knobs, no fumbling with Allen wrenches needed. Not readily seeing other racks with hand knobs. A tiny bit of added wind resistance/noise maybe but worth the convenience. Those tighten the crossbars down to the brackets correct? Looks like those would make adding and removing the entire rack quick and easy and for the rack to be securely tightened down.

UPDATE

Received my clamp on rack and a j-bar and they are not very compatible. The bottom of the cross bars for the rack are 2" wide and the slots of the bottom bracts for the j-bars is also 2" wide so none of the cross bar will seat inside the slots. It's too bad all the diagrams for these universal parts is not more exact/meaningful. The bracket measurement shows the width from bolt to bolt (3.5") and not the width of the slot for the crossbars to fit inside. My j-bar was missing all the bolts, washers, hand clamps, etc. so it had to be returned anyway. And I found another brand of j-bar which showed a measurement of 4.3" from bolt to bolt on the bottom bracket so I ordered it hoping the slot will also be wider and allow for some of the crossbar to seat at least a little down into the slot. The new j-bar is supposed to arrive on Wednesday and I have a planned trip for the following Friday morning so not a lot of time to get this all worked out.

Last edited:

Smack

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had Yakima round bars so I did this.
I have the Ford tri-fold tonneau cover.

TruXedo Elevate TS RailsSet
$144.62​
Yakima Landing Pad 12 Sets
$143.90​
Yakima Skyline Towers
4​
$244.95​
Yakima Round Bar SL Adaptors
4​
$30.00​

Ford Maverick Looking for a budget roof rack solution IMG_2622.JPG

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had Yakima round bars so I did this.
I have the Ford tri-fold tonneau cover.

TruXedo Elevate TS RailsSet
$144.62​
Yakima Landing Pad 12 Sets
$143.90​
Yakima Skyline Towers
4​
$244.95​
Yakima Round Bar SL Adaptors
4​
$30.00​

IMG_2622.JPG
cool solution. what impact on mpg did you notice and how's the noise? I think the OP definitely had some noise and serious mpg loss if he went 75-80+ mph.

you've got some decent $ in the hard tonneau but I think this still works without it?

also this might be a stupid idea and maybe you already thought of it or even tried it. but I wonder if there were would be any difference in noise & mpg if the box were mounted in reverse? the nose is out of the windstream a lot more than the tail, so perhaps flipping it would be a benefit.
Sponsored