Sponsored

Is the Maverick worth it? Aligning expectations.

LittleMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Maverick
You may be right, but the real world performance, especially over the long term is still to be determined. I was not willing to be part of the beta team. I especially don't think it's a good idea to tow with a CVT. It was a nightmare even towing a jet ski on my son's turbo Forester.
I believe the powertrain has a pretty lengthy warranty on the hybrid to ease that kind of "long term" thinking. Again you're comparing the belt driven CVT in a Subaru to the ford for whatever reason, which is not logical. You're trying to justify your purchase and won't listen to reason, but I wouldn't let that detract other's from the hybrid.
Sponsored

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe the powertrain has a pretty lengthy warranty on the hybrid to ease that kind of "long term" thinking. Again you're comparing the belt driven CVT in a Subaru to the ford for whatever reason, which is not logical. You're trying to justify your purchase and won't listen to reason, but I wouldn't let that detract other's from the hybrid.
Well then, I guess you would be shocked to know that I also ordered a Lariat hybrid as well. It will just be arriving about 6 months later due to all the delays, so there's another reason I'm glad I ordered the EcoBoost. I do know the difference in trannies better than most and that's what makes me believe it's not a good idea to do any heavy towing. Ford obviously agrees since they pulled the full tow package from the hybrid and limit it to 2,000 lbs. I will let others do the testing and just use my Turbo for the heavy lifting and my hybrid for the lighter stuff and around town transportation. Oh yeah, and for my wife.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After experience with 2 different CVT's for both Subaru and Nissan, would NEVER own another one of that type of tech. Ford would have to have made quantum leaps forward in CVT tech for that to change. Let's hope that is the case. The 8 speed will be a much smoother ride under anything other than calmest driving conditions. That is one of the main reasons I opted for the EcoBoost so I didn't have to get a CVT. Turned out well since they aren't even shipping the hybrids yet.
There's no comparison between an CVT and eCVT the technology is not even the same - only the concept of an infinitely variable gear ratio. A golf ball is a Ball and a football is a Ball - there is no comparison.

The eCVT in the Maverick is almost identical to the one in the Prius and the Ford Escape. That is the comparison. Both much smoother than any traditional transmission. However - may be annoying to some people who don't like the spooling up of the engine to its most efficient RPM - what they consider "droning" And I can appreciate that as a reason to dislike it on that basis.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You may be right, but the real world performance, especially over the long term is still to be determined. I was not willing to be part of the beta team. I especially don't think it's a good idea to tow with a CVT. It was a nightmare even towing a jet ski on my son's turbo Forester.
I agree.. that might be a problem and for sure is not well tested.
there is only 1 single planetary gear set in the eCVT - I was wondering how well it could stand up to towing. But I don't intend to tow with it. Only time and miles will sort that out.

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So just joined this forum after ordering the Lariat hybrid. This will be replacing the wife's CR-V as the kid hauler. Double the mpg is a huge selling point here in LA where regular is getting close to $5 per gallon thanks to build OPEC back better but I digress. Was originally looking at the XL but the 2017 EX-L we have CarMax is willing to cut us a check for $27k drop a $5k cash down and I have a Lariat with luxury package so why not. We will be downgrading compared to what we have in the CR-V but it will still be very nice and double the mpg is a very sound compromise. We have never bought a truck before and don't really need it but this looks like a fun adventure. Ford has a hit on their hands as anyone looking for a daily driver with good mpg the Maverick just shot up to the top of that list. Cheaper than a Civic with comparable gas mileage and far more utility. As a transportation device the value is hard to beat. Anyone looking at all the CUV's and econo boxes should seriously look at the hybrid Maverick. After studying the ecvt in the Ford I am impressed and believe the cvt in the CR-V will have problems before the Ford. No belts or chains just gears fantastic.

Personally anyone dropping $30k+ on a Hyundai is nuts. Sure the interior is nicer but it ain't going to last more than 100k miles. Go watch some Scotty videos. There's a reason why 100k power train is standard on Hyundai's they have such a bad rep for blowing up before 100k they had to do it.

Sponsored

RicksMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 Lariat Lux 1$tED 4k AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not everyone wants an XL, My Maverick is loaded $37,845 the equivalent Ranger $49,024. I will take the Maverick Lariat.
Sounds like mine which I should get 2nd week of Dec. Drove a dealers stock order XLT and LOVED IT! I've got a Lariat 1st Edition coming.

RicksMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I agree..I went xlt just because I plan on owning this a long time...and figured it might help some on the resell years down the road...and at the time I wanted fx4...Now I think I probably should have just done xl with 4k and call it good but o well. My truck is being built right now so I will roll with its.

Also all the dealership around me that are own by Hubler are still charging msrp on new cars...but make bank on used.
Where are you? I'm in Westfield IN, buying from Pearson in Zionsville. They are charging MSRP on orders and I think +2K on stock units.

RicksMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I forgot to add that I am buying one XLT base plus 4pin receiver AND one XLT LUX + small options. Intend to keep both maybe on 0% 36 month plan. (It only hurts for 3 years). I will have house paid for next June though. Also it's not known EXACTLY how much of Rivian is owned by Ford and what agreements they have but Ford's investments in Rivian will most certainly be worth billions...
At IPO Ford ended up with 12% of Rivianl about $12B value I think.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally anyone dropping $30k+ on a Hyundai is nuts. Sure the interior is nicer but it ain't going to last more than 100k miles. Go watch some Scotty videos. There's a reason why 100k power train is standard on Hyundai's they have such a bad rep for blowing up before 100k they had to do it.
The Santa Fe is hideous, I wouldn't even have considered it had it been cheaper than the base Mav, but you just said watch Scotty (the biggest hack in the car pundit industry) and Hyundai has among the highest reliability ratings in the industry https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2019/11/most-reliable-car-brands-consumer-reports.html.

olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where are you? I'm in Westfield IN, buying from Pearson in Zionsville. They are charging MSRP on orders and I think +2K on stock units.

Franklin. I ordered thru hubler as we have a sponsorship agreement with my school corp. I work in so i'm paying invoice price.

Sponsored

olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Amen to that!
Only make it a stick!
When (if) my Mav shows up, I’ll post shots of my ‘92 reg cab Toyota PU, alongside the Mav. I suspect that they will be close to identical in dimensions, other than bed length. I also suspect that they will handle similarly. One of the first things that I did, back in ‘92, was jump into the JC catalog, and, among other things, put on a large sway bar, better shocks, tires and alumies saved from my ‘85 centerfold truck. Body-on-frame, those improvements, I believe, brought that truck up to where the unibody Mav already is.
Check this site out - toyota pick up vs Maverick
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=WHFJVTZWYm9aZ0dQd3VnNnMzdVJQTmZEZW1EVERB

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Minus there engines in on of there cars. I had family friends who have had three blown one all were under 50k miles.
My last car was a Hyundai. We gave it to my FIL with 220k miles, it now has 300k+ and has never required anything but regular maintenance. My parents last two cars were Hyundais and two of my sisters currently drive one, no issues whatsoever among them. We all have our anecdotes (5 examples of bulletproof cars and zero bad ones in my family), but your n=1 (or mine) does not comprise a useful/generalizable data set. The aggregate data says Hyundais tend to be among the most reliable cars, they also have arguably the best warranties.

That being said, I wouldn't touch the Santa Cruz with a ten foot pole; hideous looking, poor efficiency, and expensive for what it is.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
The Santa Fe is hideous, I wouldn't even have considered it had it been cheaper than the base Mav, but you just said watch Scotty (the biggest hack in the car pundit industry) and Hyundai has among the highest reliability ratings in the industry https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2019/11/most-reliable-car-brands-consumer-reports.html.
And you didn't even touch on the fact that listening to ol Scotty's voice for more than 4 seconds can cause spontaneous strokes. Good God that voice!
Sponsored