Sponsored

Is the Maverick worth it? Aligning expectations.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No offense but for about 36k I could spec out a base, 4 dr, 4wd Ranger. I'd do that.

The Maverick I get would be XL only adding the 2.0 and AWD, and would MSRP at 24,700. 10k less than that Ranger. Hence why I've looked at the Maverick.
You might want to reprice that Ranger. Getting a similar Ranger to a $36k Maverick and youā€™re at $46 to $48k if youā€™re comparing apples to apples. Why pay more if the Maverick capabilities are all that you need. Itā€™s not made to be compared to a Ranger. The Maverick has the versatility and MPGā€™s that we were looking for. I could have bought either but bought the Maverick because it checked nine out of ten of my need Boxes for a great price.
Sponsored

ThrowbacK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corolla SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure why people hate on the lariat so much. I was pretty set on the xlt but my wife wanted the better interior, especially with two dogs and a 2 year old. After I ordered the lariat, I did not realize how much extra stuff you get with the lariat. Way worth the 3k extra. Paint matched pieces, push to start, signature led headlights, dual zone climate. This is a truck that I ā€œplanā€ on having for 10ish years. Hope it lasts that long

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think it is worth the wait. Gas is going to go down a little in price but not that much...it will be good to have a hybrid around to drink less gas. The price of what you are getting is cheap right now... a little trucar. So yeah I don't like waiting but shelling out more money is not my idea of fun...just to have something right away.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You might want to reprice that Ranger. Getting a similar Ranger to a $36k Maverick and youā€™re at $46 to $48k if youā€™re comparing apples to apples. Why pay more if the Maverick capabilities are all that you need. Itā€™s not made to be compared to a Ranger. The Maverick has the versatility and MPGā€™s that we were looking for. I could have bought either but bought the Maverick because it checked nine out of ten of my need Boxes for a great price.
I agree there is no way for a Ranger equally configured as the Maverick is to be anywhere near the same price.

My Maverick XLT SuperCrew configured as shown in my signature has a MSRP price of $24,620.

A Base Ranger XLT SuperCrew has a MSRP of $31,990 which is 30% higher cost than the Maverick.

Ford Maverick Is the Maverick worth it?  Aligning expectations. DORA

Attachments

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Very good point about Ejection.

I'd personally like to see technology which would incapacitate mobile phones whenever a vehicle is in-gear. They're a menace.
Just had to piggy back off the conversation and throw in that in the example of a 3k mass vs a 6k is way more about crumple zones, compliant structures, and designed destruction. The art and science of surviving a car crash is pretty interesting.

I recommend checking out one of those vids where they crash a classic car into a newer model (or just look at after crash pics from real life). It might surprise you how bad old cars are at taking a major hit like the engine going straight into the passenger compartment.

Overall point taken though not all regulation is good regulation.

Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I'd personally like to see technology which would incapacitate mobile phones whenever a vehicle is in-gear. They're a menace.
But it's not the phone it's the person using. I am in my 50s and more cautious these days. When I get into a car I connect it to the car via bluetooth. I program the GPS before I move the vehicle. I don't and Can't answer texts while driving. The phone sits in the dash board is is almost never touched. If the phone rings I say Answer! and the phone will go into hands free mode. That's the way to be safe. But this is upon the driver.

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is spot on. My son bought a new 2020 Ranger 4wd 5 months ago for $37k. My FE Maverick also has a MSRP or $37k, so about a loaded as you can get. He is already seeing how short changed he will be with features all to gain a little extra towing power. I'll take the Mav for the same price anyday. And it leaves me a hell of a lot more room in my garage for my other tasks.

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

NO, PHONES ARE NOT THE MENACE. The users are the menace. (I'm sure you are anti gun as well.) This is the bad thinking, that you need to punish everyone for the bad behavior of others. Should we ban all vehicles because of bad drivers? Now that would save a shit-ton of lives. Maybe we should get rid of the auto-lockout of the onboard GPS system which forces people to use their phones, which is far more hazardous. There should just be an automatic check of phone records for every auto accident to see if the person was on the phone when the crash occurred. If they were, then suspend their DL and mobile phone account.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

NO, PHONES ARE NOT THE MENACE. The users are the menace. (I'm sure you are anti gun as well.) This is the bad thinking, that you need to punish everyone for the bad behavior of others. Should we ban all vehicles because of bad drivers? Maybe you should lobby for the auto-lockout of the onboard GPS system with forces people to just use their phones, which is far more hazardous. There should just be an automatic check for every auto accident of phone records to see if the person was on the phone when the crash occurred. If they were, then suspend their DL and mobile phone account.
Agree. Can't tell you how many people I've seen driving with thier cell phone up to thier ear when I know darn well that they have a hands free system in thier car like Fords. I know because the ones I see doing it are usually are driving a car over $35k. I know if my sub $25k Fords have/had it, thiers certainly do. Are they just too stupid or too lazy or both to know how to pair thier phone with the system? I also see people with these phone mounts that holds the phone upright right next to the steering wheel. I 've seen a few people so far steering with thier left hand and texting with thier right. Sheer stupidity! Guess they have the "Can't happen to me" attitude. ................ and then it does.

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure why people hate on the lariat so much. I was pretty set on the xlt but my wife wanted the better interior, especially with two dogs and a 2 year old. After I ordered the lariat, I did not realize how much extra stuff you get with the lariat. Way worth the 3k extra. Paint matched pieces, push to start, signature led headlights, dual zone climate. This is a truck that I ā€œplanā€ on having for 10ish years. Hope it lasts that long
I would say the ONLY people hating on the Lariat are the jealous types. There are things that it includes that I could NEVER do without with radar cruise control at the top of the list.

Sponsored

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree. Can't tell you how many people I've seen driving with thier cell phone up to thier ear when I know darn well that they have a hands free system in thier car like Fords. I know because the ones I see doing it are usually are driving a car over $35k. I know if my sub $25k Fords have/had it, thiers certainly do. Are they just too stupid or too lazy or both to know how to pair thier phone with the system? I also see people with these phone mounts that holds the phone upright right next to the steering wheel. I 've seen a few people so far steering with thier left hand and texting with thier right. Sheer stupidity! Guess they have the "Can't happen to me" attitude. ................ and then it does.
You left out my favorite morons, the ones that are on the phone at a traffic light and won't turn left when they get an opening and then cause you catch the red light. Or even worse, won't turn right on red because they are too involved in their conversation. I will always go around those idiots which really pisses them off.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is spot on. My son bought a new 2020 Ranger 4wd 5 months ago for $37k. My FE Maverick also has a MSRP or $37k, so about a loaded as you can get. He is already seeing how short changed he will be with features all to gain a little extra towing power. I'll take the Mav for the same price anyday. And it leaves me a hell of a lot more room in my garage for my other tasks.
And the Hybrid will be a smoother ride and better shifting machine... ( if you don't mind eCVT) Personal preference there.

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And the Hybrid will be a smoother ride and better shifting machine... ( if you don't mind eCVT) Personal preference there.
After experience with 2 different CVT's for both Subaru and Nissan, would NEVER own another one of that type of tech. Ford would have to have made quantum leaps forward in CVT tech for that to change. Let's hope that is the case. The 8 speed will be a much smoother ride under anything other than calmest driving conditions. That is one of the main reasons I opted for the EcoBoost so I didn't have to get a CVT. Turned out well since they aren't even shipping the hybrids yet.

Last edited:

LittleMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Maverick
After experience with 2 different CVT's for both Subaru and Nissan, would NEVER own another one. Ford would have to have made quantum leaps forward in CVT tech for that to change. The 8 speed will be a much smoother ride under anything other than calmest driving conditions. That is one of the main reasons I opted for the EcoBoost so I didn't have to get a CVT. Turned out well since they aren't even shipping the hybrids yet.
I wouldn't compare those CVTS at all. The CVT from those two manus are different from each other, and leaps and bound different from the Maverick. Which has been inspired from the way Toyota does it. In it's current state this new E CVT is an in house unit that has been over built, for usage in larger/more powerful applications.

Last edited:

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't compare those CVTS at all. The CVT from those two manus are different from each other, and leaps and bound different from the Maverick. Which has been inspired from the way Toyota does it. In it's current state this new E CVT is an in house unit that has been over built, for usage in larger/more powerful applications.
You may be right, but the real world performance, especially over the long term is still to be determined. I was not willing to be part of the beta team. I especially don't think it's a good idea to tow with a CVT. It was a nightmare even towing a jet ski on my son's turbo Forester.
Sponsored