First Name
Lonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, but interested in For Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I want to order a Ford Maverick just to secure one while I think about rather I actually want one, can I change my mind and cancel at any time? What about after it is delivered? I'm guessing it won't have an effect on my credit or anything right? I'm about 90% sure I will want one if I order it, but if it takes a year+ to even get a build date and they announce a ranger hybrid by then, I will more than likely want to cancel my order.
Sponsored

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealer had a fully refundable $500 deposit at order and you could turn it down whenever with no penalty. They’d prefer I didn’t take delivery so they could sell it at a mark up.

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm amazed any dealer asks for a deposit right now. The less you have tied to it the easier you can walk away and them mark it up. Even a refundable deposit might make you second guess saying I don't want/can't take it.

Hell I'm not giving my business to the dealership my father in law is a mechanic at because they require a $1,000 deposit. There are 2 closer Ford dealerships who will do an order with no deposit.

I know that you'll give them that money eventually if you go through with the purchase, and if it was normal times where an order is a couple months ok. But I'm not giving you my $1,000 to hold onto for possibly 1 year+.

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm amazed any dealer asks for a deposit right now. The less you have tied to it the easier you can walk away and them mark it up. Even a refundable deposit might make you second guess saying I don't want/can't take it.

Hell I'm not giving my business to the dealership my father in law is a mechanic at because they require a $1,000 deposit. There are 2 closer Ford dealerships who will do an order with no deposit.

I know that you'll give them that money eventually if you go through with the purchase, and if it was normal times where an order is a couple months ok. But I'm not giving you my $1,000 to hold onto for possibly 1 year+.
My dealer asked for a $500 check that just sat in my file. It was never cashed. When I went to pick up my truck he ripped it in half and gave it back to me and he would have done the same if I turned it down. Not sure the purpose of the deposit but that's how my dealer handled it so it gave me zero obligations to make the purchase.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Orders seem more like a suggestion these days anyway but I doubt you would have a problem flipping for profit if you ever received it.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 1500
If there’s a nonrefundable deposit, an order is an obligation with a penalty in the form of the deposit. Not sure what OP means by “after it is delivered.” If meaning delivered to the dealership, that has no effect on any obligation that might exist with a nonrefundable deposit. If you mean after you, the buyer, TAKES delivery of the vehicle, there are obligations there depending on what’s in your purchase agreement.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm amazed any dealer asks for a deposit right now. The less you have tied to it the easier you can walk away and them mark it up.
Except don't forget there's the COVP buyer name match percentage Ford is increasing. Although supposedly if you document that you're rejecting taking delivery the dealer can file an exception for that getting counted against them. (Or they just run credit with SSN 555-55-5555 and go 'whoops, Financing Rejected')

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No clue what the 2023 process involves, but…

…the first question asked of my salesman in September of 2021 was “Will you please explain what a Non Binding Order means?”.

He did, I had no financial obligation, paid no deposit, completed the order (with the crucial ROVP) and the clock began ticking.

It’s still ticking, even though it’s digital…
Sponsored