First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My main thought when this comes up is can anyone share an example of any other vehicle being modified for phev, or with just an added extra battery after market?
Also, I wonder what would be the recommended "MINIMUM REQUIRED PARTICIPATION OF ICE" as compared to expected participation by PHEV DRIVERS? I would personally prefer enough gas be used to replace 12% monthly (maybe less if an oem approved stabilizer is used) if for no other reason than to exercise ice.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You’d be driving 5mph to keep it in electric mode lol. Can’t be done w/o a complete software and hardware overhaul. Hyundai Tucson AWD PHEV or RAV4 Prime (good luck finding these) may be a better fit for your needs. Or just enjoy the hybrid Maverick. Any money you would spend to drive as EV only would pay for a LOT of gas for a long time.

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you'd be better off with a PHEV. Maybe that'll be a Maverick option in the future.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
is there even a remote possibility of increasing the capacity of the stock battery for electric mode? I would even consider installing a charge port as well. I only need to go 22 miles per day....be nice if that could be on battery only.
The present battery is liquid cooled, so I would think any additional battery would need to be as well. Will the present cooling system handle a second battery?
Also charging a second bank of batteries would be an issue because the present charging system is designed to keep one battery pack charged, it may not be up to the task of charging two packs. Also it too has a cooling system that might not be up to the task.
Think about like this, your phone charges faster on a 2.1w charger if there is nothing else connected to that charger. To charge two phones on the same charger, the charger needs more time to fully charge the phones.
Also using batteries from the junkyard is not a great idea. Battery packs are somewhat fragile and can look OK but be bad internally. I fly remote controlled airplanes and if one crashes hard, the pack is immediately trashed rather than wrecking another airplane because it caught fire, or burned up on recharge.
Not saying it isn't possible, but it will be complicated and expensive to do it right.

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As a huge BEV fan who's closely followed battery tech for years... I'd modify (or trust somebody other than the OEM to modify) a hybrid battery system on the day when I wanted my house to burn down, or the car to catch fire and incinerate me and my family on the roadside. Or when I wanted to instantly invalidate my warranty. These battery management systems are delicately balanced. And even OEMS can botch it - as tens of thousands of Chevy Bolt BEV buyers have learned to their displeasure.

You don't buy do-it-at-home kits for heart surgery for a reason. This isn't a 1967 VW Bug that you can maintain with a socket wrench and a screw driver and a flashlight bulb soldered to a wire (I slightly miss those days).

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
May be easier than initially thought but would require hooking up to battery thermal management system which could require software changes to be sure both batteries are warmed up or cooled down to be able to accept charging/discharging amps. I would just go with 2022 hybrid and sell or trade it in on PHEV Maverick when it comes out.
Undoubtedly. I just meant that actually connecting a second battery is trivial. All the other hardware and the software to control it is quite another matter.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE, MachE, Explorer, C10
Engine
Undecided
is there even a remote possibility of increasing the capacity of the stock battery for electric mode? I would even consider installing a charge port as well. I only need to go 22 miles per day....be nice if that could be on battery only.
Check out this review of the Escape PHEV. 14kw cell.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check out this review of the Escape PHEV. 14kw cell.

Yup. Maverick is based on the same platform as Escape, Maverick's hybrid powertrain is based on Escape's.

An increased electric-only range in a Maverick would come from the plug-in hybrid setup available on Escape. Whether or not that ever comes to fruition remains to be seen.

It doesn't make any sense to enlarge the HVB unless you're going to add the ability to plug in to charge; otherwise, it's still just a buffer for the gas engine, and you burn the same amount of gas to charge the HVB.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You’d be driving 5mph to keep it in electric mode lol. Can’t be done w/o a complete software and hardware overhaul. Hyundai Tucson AWD PHEV or RAV4 Prime (good luck finding these) may be a better fit for your needs. Or just enjoy the hybrid Maverick. Any money you would spend to drive as EV only would pay for a LOT of gas for a long time.
Could you imagine if they made this into a 2 door pickup ?
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/ioniq-plug-in-hybrid

Ford Maverick increase battery capacity? 2020_hyundai_ioniq-plug-in-hybrid_4dr-hatchback_limited_fq_oem_1_1600

Sponsored

Skeeter163

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford CEO said changes may be coming like the ones on the Lighting.

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Curious down the road we'd be able to switch out the 1.1kw battery with the Escape's plugin battery of 14.4k and would we see the same additional electric mileage increase. Thinking in 6-8 years down the rode will do something like that if it makes sense.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It would be cheaper to sell the Mav and just buy a Fiat 500e.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
U should have just bought a Chevy Bolt if U just wanted all electric
Sponsored