First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
225,000 mi. Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
is there even a remote possibility of increasing the capacity of the stock battery for electric mode? I would even consider installing a charge port as well. I only need to go 22 miles per day....be nice if that could be on battery only.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Remote possibility? Anything is possibly if you have the skillset or money to pay someone who does. And such battery/plug-in additions have been done with the Prius. Although for 22 miles of electric drive you're talking installing a battery something like 10x larger than the one already present.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
is there even a remote possibility of increasing the capacity of the stock battery for electric mode? I would even consider installing a charge port as well. I only need to go 22 miles per day....be nice if that could be on battery only.
In terms of the wiring diagram, you just install a second identical battery in parallel. The software is likely tuned to control the existing battery size and adding one might screw it up, but we won't know until someone tries it.

LGA737

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model Y
This cannot be done in any practical manner. As others have said, it may be POSSIBLE, but it would take some very sophisticated engineering and firmware development. High power Lithium batteries can be dangerous if not used carefully. The existing battery pack has numerous voltage, current, and temperature sensors that are all used by the Battery Management System to manage the charging and discharging of the pack. Successfully (and safely) adding more capacity would require replicating all those sensors in the new battery pack, and then hacking the Battery Management System to use them. By the time all this was done, you would have spent so much time and money that you might as well have bought an F150 lightning, as that would be much cheaper.

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the level of interest in the Maverick and the way Ford is moving to position itself as a top tier maker of electric vehicles I would be surprised if we didn't see a plug in hybrid version of Maverick at a later date.

If I had to guess when I'd go with around the 2027 model year as we will be do for a refresh around then.

Sponsored

Sweet Willie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Junkyard tesla battery in the bed connected with some jumper cables should do the trick lol.
I see you are from Slidell, LA. Do you know Marian Jordan a retired school teacher who lives in Slidell?

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Sounds like a bad idea, lots of plug in hybrids can go that kind of distance so I'd recommend going that route.

The Maverick is not intended to be run electric only at all speeds, so I doubt those 22 miles would be useful anyway.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There have been threads about this, it's pointless (I think). The battery is just a buffer to do the handful of things the atkinson ICE is not efficient at doing or can't do - initial start off the line, minor acceleration inputs when coasting and other behavior so the ICE generally doesn't have to idle, and of course recovering kinetic energy while decelerating. It's all gas powered one way or another, adding 10 batteries isn't going to make the truck use significantly less gas.

Retrofitting for plug in? I would suggest you search for anyone who has done this ever to a vehicle and see what kind of effort it takes. Hold out for a PHEV vehicle of another model if you really want that feature. Probably won't come to Maverick lineup next year, maybe it won't be for many years. We just don't know.

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two words - Rav 4 plug-in. (I am not good at counting...)

Retrofitting a Maverick would be a huge undertaking. But I too hope Ford will see their way to doing EV and PHEV versions of the Maverick.

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two words - Rav 4 plug-in. (I am not good at counting...)

Retrofitting a Maverick would be a huge undertaking. But I too hope Ford will see their way to doing EV and PHEV versions of the Maverick.
Yes, watched the 2022RAV4 XSE review and saw the 1.5 and top of line trim 18.kw batteries.

Two comments related, first do not expect the batteries to increase until Blue City Oval comes on line around 2025, especially since there are constraints and bigger batteries in my limited knowledge would cut down on the total number.

Second with China's Lithium prices going up do anticipate a price increase on all trims in 2023. How much idk but 1k seems like a ballpark figure.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In terms of the wiring diagram, you just install a second identical battery in parallel. The software is likely tuned to control the existing battery size and adding one might screw it up, but we won't know until someone tries it.
May be easier than initially thought but would require hooking up to battery thermal management system which could require software changes to be sure both batteries are warmed up or cooled down to be able to accept charging/discharging amps. I would just go with 2022 hybrid and sell or trade it in on PHEV Maverick when it comes out.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My main thought when this comes up is can anyone share an example of any other vehicle being modified for phev, or with just an added extra battery after market?
Sponsored