I am beginning to change my mind!

envelopo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sierra 1500, 17 Volt, 73 Vette, 70 Jeepster,
Well I am seriously interested in the hybrid as a “second truck” and have gone so far as to make an appointment to order a Lariat in black with the lux package. Using it as a driver and commuter vehicle and keeping my GMC Denali 1500 with the 6.2 V8 primary as a tow vehicle for our travel trailer and ATVs. Been researching this 6 ways to Sunday and I can say there is a lot to like about the whole concept. However there are now several things I really don’t like and they are adding g up for me:

1. What do you mean no fog lights?? Even in the Lariat? Come on…..
2. That shifter looks like it belongs on our Speed Queen washer. Seriously I hate it. It’s ugly, ungainly to use I’m sure and not at all truck like.
3. The power meter thing instead of a proper tach. My wife has an Avalon hybrid and it has that power meter too, it’s a thing you look at initially but after a while you really don’t care, your gonna drive it how you have to drive and efficiently will be what it is. I’d much prefer a tach.
4. I’m pretty tepid on the upholstery on the Lariat esp with the orange.The XLT is a no go for me because they put that light cloth right where stuff gets spilled, it’s gonna look all stained I’m thinking. Plus sometimes I’m dirty for whatever reason and that whole light blue cloth deal is just gonna be a mess I think. why can’t they offer a simple black option across the board? Really the XL interior looks the best but you can’t even get cruise so that’s another thing that kinda bugs me.
5. This whole drawn out BS thing about not allowing journalists to publish drive reviews is very off putting.
6. Mabie the nail in the coffin for me on the maverick idea is the way the engine bay looks. Just finally saw a pic of the hybrid one and man it really looks kinda jumbled up…idk about that, I need to see more pics but so far not impressed there either.

I REALLY want to like/buy one of these but there are more and more things showing up that really bug me. I guess the mani ones are the fog lights and the washing machine knob.
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have similar reservations to you. I have a Lariat EB/AWD FX4 with Lux on order. Not sure if I'll end up buying. The problem for me is I'm not sure what I'd get instead. The 2023 Ranger is too far away.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. Aftermarket fog lights will be readily available and easy to add.

2. Stop thinking of this as a truck, think of it as a small SUV with a bed and this kind of thing will make more sense. Mechanically driven shifters for automatics have not been a real thing since the 90s, the "stick shifter" is an appendage of the past.

3. agreed! I am guessing this power meter is really there for when they release a Plugin hybrid Maverick, in which case it would make more sense.

4. All of the orange accents are removable/replaceable with black form the XL, except the seat stitching and vent accents. Carhart makes nice seat covers. I plan on grabbing some for my truck to protect the upholstery.

5. Its annoying, but the way pretty much all the manufacturers release stuff, for better or worse.

6. I mean, I like things to be organized and clean as much (or more) as the next guy... but I cannot say I look in the engine bay all that much, besides maybe once every 6 months or so to change oil.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I honestly think you would not be happy with a Maverick. Hopefully you can find something else out there that you like.

From your list of vehicles in your profile, I can tell you're a "car guy" like me...an AMC Jeepster? Awesome. And a '73 Corvette? Cool.

But I really think if you do get a Maverick you will just end up selling /trading it pretty quickly. Take a close look at the Santa Cruz or maybe hold out for a Rav4 pickup one day. Either that or spend a ton on Maverick mods and probably still not have what you want.

Sponsored

Younglefthander

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 22 Bronco Sport Big Ben
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I am seriously interested in the hybrid as a “second truck” and have gone so far as to make an appointment to order a Lariat in black with the lux package. Using it as a driver and commuter vehicle and keeping my GMC Denali 1500 with the 6.2 V8 primary as a tow vehicle for our travel trailer and ATVs. Been researching this 6 ways to Sunday and I can say there is a lot to like about the whole concept. However there are now several things I really don’t like and they are adding g up for me:

1. What do you mean no fog lights?? Even in the Lariat? Come on…..
2. That shifter looks like it belongs on our Speed Queen washer. Seriously I hate it. It’s ugly, ungainly to use I’m sure and not at all truck like.
3. The power meter thing instead of a proper tach. My wife has an Avalon hybrid and it has that power meter too, it’s a thing you look at initially but after a while you really don’t care, your gonna drive it how you have to drive and efficiently will be what it is. I’d much prefer a tach.
4. I’m pretty tepid on the upholstery on the Lariat esp with the orange.The XLT is a no go for me because they put that light cloth right where stuff gets spilled, it’s gonna look all stained I’m thinking. Plus sometimes I’m dirty for whatever reason and that whole light blue cloth deal is just gonna be a mess I think. why can’t they offer a simple black option across the board? Really the XL interior looks the best but you can’t even get cruise so that’s another thing that kinda bugs me.
5. This whole drawn out BS thing about not allowing journalists to publish drive reviews is very off putting.
6. Mabie the nail in the coffin for me on the maverick idea is the way the engine bay looks. Just finally saw a pic of the hybrid one and man it really looks kinda jumbled up…idk about that, I need to see more pics but so far not impressed there either.

I REALLY want to like/buy one of these but there are more and more things showing up that really bug me. I guess the mani ones are the fog lights and the washing machine knob.
1) Fog Lights - I wouldn't think this would be a deal breaker especially if you can add it afterwards. Of course I live in Florida so fog is not a issue here.
2) Shifter - My thoughts exactly but we just purchased a Bronco Sport. They also have the "knob" and I have to say I really like it. Just a little extra space. Plus a neat feature, if you turn off car while in drive, it automatically turns to park.
3) Yes - probably will look at a lot early just so you can justified to yourself why you got a Hybird. Can't say I pay attention to the Tech anyway.
4) I have both the XLT and Lariat on order. From the reviews seems like both will be fine. My Bronco Sport is a Big Bend, I'm assuming the upholstery in the XLT is about the same.
5) If your getting a Hybird don't worry - if you order now it will probably be spring before you get one. You'll have plenty of time to see reviews. They come out starting next week.
6) I don't disagree, it looks jumbled up. Could use a engine cover. My Bronco Sport didn't come with a engine cover - must be a new thing. But I'm not worried about it and I don't think this should be a deal breaker as well.

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
I am not a fan of the engine bay and will order an Ecoboost cover from the Escape to give my 2.0 a better appearance.

You do not sound sure about your order, and probably should make a final decision after your order arrives.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
However there are now several things I really don’t like and they are adding g up for me:
It's useful to see a list like this -- where someone goes through the Maverick and tries to point out the weak spots. It counterbalances the fan praise and helps with the decision-making process.

Luckily, for me at least, most of the things on the list make little or no difference. And a couple of the negatives are really positives for me. For example...

-- I like the dial shifter (I've used one on other vehicles). I find it easy to use and it stays out of the way, so I don't end up bumping my coffee cup on it.

-- I'm happy with the power meter. With dual traction power sources -- ICE and electric -- and engine speed decoupled from vehicle speed through an eCVT, it makes sense to me. I have a tach in my Jeep but my ears still work so I seldom look at it.

I would like some fog lights, though.

So... to each his own.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn’t a tach worse than useless on a hybrid? ICE RPM changes independently of your foot on the pedal, the tach would be having a fever dream flopping around all over the place?

Sponsored

lurch70

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW 330xi, 2019 Volvo XC60
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the mere simplicity of its design is what's most appealing to me, and that if I want a bone stock $20k one it is available. 40mpg at this price with the utility it provides is all I need to sell me on it.

I've had cars with ingeniously thought out everything and at the end of the day ... well ... I paid through the nose for them.

BTW Ocotber 5th 6am the floodgates are open on full drive reviews. Youtube will be flooded.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford engine bays have been attempting to replicate Medusa’s hair style for a while. Other than that I don’t mind the issues you presented. Personally I honestly appreciate it as it helps look at things I might not have thought of. Last thing anyone wants is buyers remorse and it sound like this isn’t the vehicle for you. Maybe wait tell year 2/3 and some problems might be solved.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not a fan of the engine bay and will order an Ecoboost cover from the Escape to give my 2.0 a better appearance.
I find it funny how when big engine covers started to become a thing all the car guys went 'I hate all this plastic, I want to see my engine that's making the power!' Now that much of the engine controls are electric it's become 'Eww, I hate all these wires and evap hoses, I need to cover them!'

OP
OP
envelopo

envelopo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have similar reservations to you. I have a Lariat EB/AWD FX4 with Lux on order. Not sure if I'll end up buying. The problem for me is I'm not sure what I'd get instead. The 2023 Ranger is too far away.
I honestly think you would not be happy with a Maverick. Hopefully you can find something else out there that you like.

From your list of vehicles in your profile, I can tell you're a "car guy" like me...an AMC Jeepster? Awesome. And a '73 Corvette? Cool.

But I really think if you do get a Maverick you will just end up selling /trading it pretty quickly. Take a close look at the Santa Cruz or maybe hold out for a Rav4 pickup one day. Either that or spend a ton on Maverick mods and probably still not have what you want.
Sadly you may be right! Tho I will say any kind of a Hyundai thing isn’t gonna happen. Mabie GM will make something cool….

OP
OP
envelopo

envelopo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find it funny how when big engine covers started to become a thing all the car guys went 'I hate all this plastic, I want to see my engine that's making the power!' Now that much of the engine controls are electric it's become 'Eww, I hate all these wires and evap hoses, I need to cover them!'
Yes not a big fan of the plastic covers either. I would like to see all that crap routed a bit more thoughtfully and some kind of cool looking valve cover is all. I will say the engine bay isn’t my big deal breaker though.
Sponsored