Sponsored

I am beginning to change my mind!

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
I find it funny how when big engine covers started to become a thing all the car guys went 'I hate all this plastic, I want to see my engine that's making the power!' Now that much of the engine controls are electric it's become 'Eww, I hate all these wires and evap hoses, I need to cover them!'
I prefer something ā€œneaterā€ and not a birdā€™s nest. I am the same way with the interior of my vehicles.
Sponsored

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hope Volkswagen brings the Saveiro to america one day.

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Youā€™re kinda stuck in the past Bro. The MAV is todayā€™s ride. Attractive, cheap - but still has lots of toys and high-tech aspects, perfect size for garages full of stuff other than vehicles, looks remarkably like a truck, but is actually more of a shape-changing car that can do everything. Largely plastic, because young people donā€™t want to fuss over it or spend too much time taking care of it. Maybe, most of all, like everything else we purchase now, youā€™re spared the angst of having to make thoughtful choices since itā€™s all based on algorithms, not individuality. You will have the comfort of knowing you are accepted.

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yesterday, I finally got to see Maverick XLT Hybrid in person @ Folsom Ford, Folsom, CA. Loved the overall look BUT so disappointed in the cab. First impression was a cheap, low-end look of the dashā€¦itā€™s looks like a ā€œstrippyā€. Bare bones appearance. Dash readouts are so small as compared to my current vehicle. BUTā€¦.other than the disappointing appearance of dash, I loved everything else about it. The spray in bedliner looks great. The regular shaped truck look is niceā€¦..a baby F-150. šŸ˜
Oh wow. In Folsom?? Wish I knew about it. I'm going to Future Ford in Roseville today to see a trainer truck. It must be the same one.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I am not a fan of the engine bay and will order an Ecoboost cover from the Escape to give my 2.0 a better appearance.
I discarded the engine cover on every vehicle I owned that came with one.

You should've seen the look on my face when I popped the hood on my new-to-me Lexus GX470 and saw...basically a second hood.

Isnā€™t a tach worse than useless on a hybrid? ICE RPM changes independently of your foot on the pedal, the tach would be having a fever dream flopping around all over the place?
That's what I thought. A tach on a hybrid is basically meaningless since giving it more skinny pedal won't rev the engine up. Hence why almost all hybrids have the power meter to give at least some reasonably relevant information (whether the vehicle is "charging", "assisting", or on but in EV mode).

Yes not a big fan of the plastic covers either. I would like to see all that crap routed a bit more thoughtfully and some kind of cool looking valve cover is all. I will say the engine bay isnā€™t my big deal breaker though.
Same here. This is a $21k commuter with a bed. It ain't a Boss 302 or a WRX STI where you're going to be popping the hood at the local Cars 'n Coffee. I couldn't care more for what the under-the-hood looks like, as long as it's functional and reasonably easy to work on.

Brother...you and I have completely different sets of expectations for a "commuter vehicle."
Wait 'til he realizes that buying a $21k commuter to keep miles and wear/tear off his Denali will never financially pay off.

And if money is not the primary concern, then maybe get a fun commuter? He already has a truck...I'd get something like a Toyota Camry TRD with the 3.5L V6. Still reasonably reliable, but it ain't your grandma's Camry.

Sponsored

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh wow. In Folsom?? Wish I knew about it. I'm going to Future Ford in Roseville today to see a trainer truck. It must be the same one.
The one in Folsom was the very bright blue colorā€¦.either velocity or altoā€¦I donā€™t know the difference,.
I talked with actual trainer for awhile and he can answer any questions. I ask him about how regenerative braking actually works and learned things about breaking I have not known before and yet have been driving my Kia Niro
4.5 yrs.

Last edited:

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
please post about your Roseville visit today ā€¦want to see what you thinkšŸ‘šŸ»

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I inquired about the Ford Pass credit cardā€¦..will be applying for one today and will charge the card with my Maverick down payment! Itā€™s a cool way to get points for aftermarket products.

OP
OP
envelopo

envelopo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sierra 1500, 17 Volt, 73 Vette, 70 Jeepster,
Really great responses here, interesting and informative. Perhaps I should clarify. First of all, I have no idea why I put an exclamation point on my title, it was late, I may have been slightly impaired.

To further clarify:

1. What do you mean no fog lights?? Even in the Lariat? Come onā€¦..

This one is a no brainier, these vehicles should have fogs as an available option, its a safety issue for me given the driving conditions in my area. Not having this as standard or at least optional or available on the xlt and lariat is unacceptable. I will say, yes there will likely be aftermarket "solutions", however in my experience these are usually not well integrated compared to factory systems.

2. That shifter looks like it belongs on our Speed Queen washer. Seriously I hate it. Itā€™s ugly, ungainly to use Iā€™m sure and not at all truck like.

With everything drive by wire, this could have been any shape, something like a normal console based shifter with positive detents would have been much much better. This is obviously a cheap out thing on Fords part. I have tried one on my cousins RAM and it is just not intuitive, esp when backing a trailer.

3. The power meter thing instead of a proper tach. My wife has an Avalon hybrid and it has that power meter too, itā€™s a thing you look at initially but after a while you really donā€™t care, your gonna drive it how you have to drive and efficiently will be what it is. Iā€™d much prefer a tach.

This is not a deal breaker, and yes with the CVT a tach would likely jump around, so ok. Still part of my driving experience is looking at a cool dash.

4. Iā€™m pretty tepid on the upholstery on the Lariat esp with the orange.The XLT is a no go for me because they put that light cloth right where stuff gets spilled, itā€™s gonna look all stained Iā€™m thinking. Plus sometimes Iā€™m dirty for whatever reason and that whole light blue cloth deal is just gonna be a mess I think. why canā€™t they offer a simple black option across the board? Really the XL interior looks the best but you canā€™t even get cruise so thatā€™s another thing that kinda bugs me.

I still dont think the XLT cloth is going to hold up. Personally I hate seat covers. One of the main reasons I would end up going Lariat. They really need to offer a black or charcoal interior option.

5. This whole drawn out BS thing about not allowing journalists to publish drive reviews is very off putting.

Regarding the test drive moratorium, it is much more drawn out than I have ever seen with other manufacturers. Let's not make excuses for a poor management decision by Ford.

6. Mabie the nail in the coffin for me on the maverick idea is the way the engine bay looks. Just finally saw a pic of the hybrid one and man it really looks kinda jumbled upā€¦idk about that, I need to see more pics but so far not impressed there either.

I am a car guy, I enjoy looking at my engine bay. This engine bay does not spark joy. Is this an indication of the engineering and quality present in the entire truck?

Overall, am I too "old school" for this truck?......no I love new stuff (and old stuff too). I just don't like poorly executed design and I am not into making excuses for Ford or any other company. Am I out?...not yet! I am going to give one a good test drive and personal evaluation before I make my final decision on this truck. Because, well.....other than the complaints I have above, it really is a cool concept and would likely solve several vehicular problems for me. I will say if I do keep my build I would likely drive the wheels off it.

This truck is to me kinda the modern equivalent of the 1972 Datsun Pickup of 50 years ago. My dad bought one new in 72 for like $2300 with an AM radio (equal to about $17000 today!). That little truck was rough as a cob in comparison to the Maverick but the same concept. People LOVED it back then and it helped spark the whole mini truck movement. When you think of what it had compared to modern offerings we have come a long long way. As I recall, my dad was thrilled that it returned about 21 mpg.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I am seriously interested in the hybrid as a ā€œsecond truckā€ and have gone so far as to make an appointment to order a Lariat in black with the lux package. Using it as a driver and commuter vehicle and keeping my GMC Denali 1500 with the 6.2 V8 primary as a tow vehicle for our travel trailer and ATVs. Been researching this 6 ways to Sunday and I can say there is a lot to like about the whole concept. However there are now several things I really donā€™t like and they are adding g up for me:

1. What do you mean no fog lights?? Even in the Lariat? Come onā€¦..
2. That shifter looks like it belongs on our Speed Queen washer. Seriously I hate it. Itā€™s ugly, ungainly to use Iā€™m sure and not at all truck like.
3. The power meter thing instead of a proper tach. My wife has an Avalon hybrid and it has that power meter too, itā€™s a thing you look at initially but after a while you really donā€™t care, your gonna drive it how you have to drive and efficiently will be what it is. Iā€™d much prefer a tach.
4. Iā€™m pretty tepid on the upholstery on the Lariat esp with the orange.The XLT is a no go for me because they put that light cloth right where stuff gets spilled, itā€™s gonna look all stained Iā€™m thinking. Plus sometimes Iā€™m dirty for whatever reason and that whole light blue cloth deal is just gonna be a mess I think. why canā€™t they offer a simple black option across the board? Really the XL interior looks the best but you canā€™t even get cruise so thatā€™s another thing that kinda bugs me.
5. This whole drawn out BS thing about not allowing journalists to publish drive reviews is very off putting.
6. Mabie the nail in the coffin for me on the maverick idea is the way the engine bay looks. Just finally saw a pic of the hybrid one and man it really looks kinda jumbled upā€¦idk about that, I need to see more pics but so far not impressed there either.

I REALLY want to like/buy one of these but there are more and more things showing up that really bug me. I guess the mani ones are the fog lights and the washing machine knob.
I know almost no one that spends much time staring underneath their hood. Most wouldn't hsve a clue what they are looking at anyway. It's like the stuff under your bed..just leave it alone and go back to sleep.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Regarding the test drive moratorium, it is much more drawn out than I have ever seen with other manufacturers. Let's not make excuses for a poor management decision by Ford.
It's pretty much standard in every industry I've paid attention to (media embargo lifts within the week of product delivery). The most recent and most comparable product, the Santa Cruz, was literally the same situation. The embargo lifted the same week units were hitting dealers. With Ford, it seems like Mavericks may be getting delivered a couple weeks faster than they planned, but they would have already had the media roll-out planned down to the day and hour, and they're not going to mess with either delivery or the embargo.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's pretty much standard in every industry I've paid attention to (media embargo lifts within the week of product delivery). The most recent and most comparable product, the Santa Cruz, was literally the same situation. The embargo lifted the same week units were hitting dealers. With Ford, it seems like Mavericks may be getting delivered a couple weeks faster than they planned, but they would have already had the media roll-out planned down to the day and hour, and they're not going to mess with either delivery or the embargo.
Nah, even the Santa Cruz had a delay. There were a few walkarounds from dealers when they received theirs but the real reviews didn't come out until a week or so later.

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
please post about your Roseville visit today ā€¦want to see what you thinkšŸ‘šŸ»
Sure. I'll give my thoughts and upload some pics over in the California Region thread titled, Trainer coming to Roseville, so I don't go off subject in this thread.

PaulieVee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD XLT. 4k, Lux pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I *hate* and detest the knob; so much so, that I once wanted to start a thread on my dislike of it:

- It's much easier to rock a vehicle with a traditional shifter: you can shift through the gates via feel, instead of having to fuss with a stupid knob; the detentes on the Maverick's' knob look shallow too.

- A shifter allows the driver to have a place to rest their right hand while driving.

- A shifter simply looks better in a truck.
I really miss resting my hand on a shifter

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really miss resting my hand on a shifter
Yeah, the concept of muscle memory is important too. If somebody made an aftermarket stick shifter I'd think about it. In an emergency my hands absolutely already know how to throw a stick shifter into reverse. Not so sure about the knob. I get that sticks are an anachronism but sometimes the traditional designs are best.
Sponsored