First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree. EVERYONE, please cancel your Maverick orders, especially those of you ordering the hybrid!

Signed,
Hybrid order person who hasn't yet got a date for production.

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well I am seriously interested in the hybrid as a “second truck” and have gone so far as to make an appointment to order a Lariat in black with the lux package. Using it as a driver and commuter vehicle and keeping my GMC Denali 1500 with the 6.2 V8 primary as a tow vehicle for our travel trailer and ATVs. Been researching this 6 ways to Sunday and I can say there is a lot to like about the whole concept. However there are now several things I really don’t like and they are adding g up for me:

1. What do you mean no fog lights?? Even in the Lariat? Come on…..
2. That shifter looks like it belongs on our Speed Queen washer. Seriously I hate it. It’s ugly, ungainly to use I’m sure and not at all truck like.
3. The power meter thing instead of a proper tach. My wife has an Avalon hybrid and it has that power meter too, it’s a thing you look at initially but after a while you really don’t care, your gonna drive it how you have to drive and efficiently will be what it is. I’d much prefer a tach.
4. I’m pretty tepid on the upholstery on the Lariat esp with the orange.The XLT is a no go for me because they put that light cloth right where stuff gets spilled, it’s gonna look all stained I’m thinking. Plus sometimes I’m dirty for whatever reason and that whole light blue cloth deal is just gonna be a mess I think. why can’t they offer a simple black option across the board? Really the XL interior looks the best but you can’t even get cruise so that’s another thing that kinda bugs me.
5. This whole drawn out BS thing about not allowing journalists to publish drive reviews is very off putting.
6. Mabie the nail in the coffin for me on the maverick idea is the way the engine bay looks. Just finally saw a pic of the hybrid one and man it really looks kinda jumbled up…idk about that, I need to see more pics but so far not impressed there either.

I REALLY want to like/buy one of these but there are more and more things showing up that really bug me. I guess the mani ones are the fog lights and the washing machine knob.
We had something that turned us off when we bought a 2013 4-Runner. We always had a sour taste about that car and never liked it. Traded in within a year. If you aren't liking it because of the way things "look" I wouldn't spend the money. You will never be happy......

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes not a big fan of the plastic covers either. I would like to see all that crap routed a bit more thoughtfully and some kind of cool looking valve cover is all. I will say the engine bay isn’t my big deal breaker though.
I never liked the plastic cover trend; just more shit to remove if/when you ever have to do maintenance or service. I pine for the good old days when you could look in, see, and identify all the parts!
But as far as aesthetics, this ain't a Ferarri or Aston Martin; I'm not propping the hood up at a car show so everyone can oogle my powertrain.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I am seriously interested in the hybrid as a “second truck” and have gone so far as to make an appointment to order a Lariat in black with the lux package. Using it as a driver and commuter vehicle and keeping my GMC Denali 1500 with the 6.2 V8 primary as a tow vehicle for our travel trailer and ATVs. Been researching this 6 ways to Sunday and I can say there is a lot to like about the whole concept. However there are now several things I really don’t like and they are adding g up for me:

2. That shifter looks like it belongs on our Speed Queen washer. Seriously I hate it. It’s ugly, ungainly to use I’m sure and not at all truck like.
3. The power meter thing instead of a proper tach. My wife has an Avalon hybrid and it has that power meter too, it’s a thing you look at initially but after a while you really don’t care, your gonna drive it how you have to drive and efficiently will be what it is. I’d much prefer a tach.
4. I’m pretty tepid on the upholstery on the Lariat esp with the orange.The XLT is a no go for me because they put that light cloth right where stuff gets spilled, it’s gonna look all stained I’m thinking. Plus sometimes I’m dirty for whatever reason and that whole light blue cloth deal is just gonna be a mess I think. why can’t they offer a simple black option across the board? Really the XL interior looks the best but you can’t even get cruise so that’s another thing that kinda bugs me.
5. This whole drawn out BS thing about not allowing journalists to publish drive reviews is very off putting.
6. Mabie the nail in the coffin for me on the maverick idea is the way the engine bay looks. Just finally saw a pic of the hybrid one and man it really looks kinda jumbled up…idk about that, I need to see more pics but so far not impressed there either.

I REALLY want to like/buy one of these but there are more and more things showing up that really bug me. I guess the mani ones are the fog lights and the washing machine knob.
Why the exclamation point at the end of your subject line? The configuration and design of the Maverick has been known and endlessly discussed for many months.

Based on your List of Horrible Things, you should just probably find YOUR perfect vehicle, buy it, and post a picture here before ditching us for your new love.

It'll be okay.

Sponsored

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yesterday, I finally got to see Maverick XLT Hybrid in person @ Folsom Ford, Folsom, CA. Loved the overall look BUT so disappointed in the cab. First impression was a cheap, low-end look of the dash…it’s looks like a “strippy”. Bare bones appearance. Dash readouts are so small as compared to my current vehicle. BUT….other than the disappointing appearance of dash, I loved everything else about it. The spray in bedliner looks great. The regular shaped truck look is nice…..a baby F-150. 😁

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I love the maverick - great job by Ford in the design. I dont need it as a daily driver I ordered in early August - Hybrid Lariat Lux package. My thoughts go to - should I wait for the Hybrid plug in or all EV model and how long will the standard hybrid be around as aggressive as Ford is marching towards Electric. I suppose it depends on how long I have to wait to even get a build date / vin . Production totals thru this year looks like 10K total.... Not being negative, just seeing the future and thinking ( as I dont have to have it right now ) should I wait a bit longer.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never liked the plastic cover trend; just more shit to remove if/when you ever have to do maintenance or service. I pine for the good old days when you could look in, see, and identify all the parts!
But as far as aesthetics, this ain't a Ferarri or Aston Martin; I'm not propping the hood up at a car show so everyone can oogle my powertrain.
It might not make a significant difference, but I also fine it funny to put a (potentially insulative) plastic cover on the thing you're rigorously trying to cool.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nothing like seeing it on a lot or showroom floor and taking it for a test drive. I would have preferred Ford allowed online reviews from 3rd party sources earlier. Makes me wonder what they are hiding or are they that unsure about their product.

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I *hate* and detest the knob; so much so, that I once wanted to start a thread on my dislike of it:

- It's much easier to rock a vehicle with a traditional shifter: you can shift through the gates via feel, instead of having to fuss with a stupid knob; the detentes on the Maverick's' knob look shallow too.

- A shifter allows the driver to have a place to rest their right hand while driving.

- A shifter simply looks better in a truck.

Sponsored

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I agree, but this can be fixed via aftermarket.

I don't really care if its truck like, but dial shifters do suck.

The cars are automatic, is it really a big deal?

I agree that there should be interior choices when it comes to colors, but if you're that worried about stains, get some really nice fitted seat covers. I plan on getting fitted seat covers because the Lariat seats are terrible looking. This can be fixed via aftermarket.

Ford just started production a month ago and wanted reviews to have production units, not pre-production where things can be wonky. The embargo is there so drive hype well after production is smooth.

The engine bay is a mess for sure but I could care less about how it looks. I'll see it when I go to change oil and work on the car but at the end of the day, that will be a few times a year.

If its not the vehicle for you then its not the vehicle for you, that is okay. Fog lights aren't a big deal in my opinion cause that can be added aftermarket and the rotary knob is unfortunate for sure but it sounds like there are enough things that bother you that the Maverick just may not be for you.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Brother...you and I have completely different sets of expectations for a "commuter vehicle."

maverick92

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, F150 Lightning
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing like seeing it on a lot or showroom floor and taking it for a test drive. I would have preferred Ford allowed online reviews from 3rd party sources earlier. Makes me wonder what they are hiding or are they that unsure about their product.
My guess is they wanted a couple weeks of solid production before making a big splash in the press. Ford knows this truck is going to be a smash hit and it's not like they've been short on orders. Just your standard marketing tactics.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you need to rent it once it becomes more widely available in the market. Or do multiple test drives.

Your complaining based on pictures on the internet. Take those pictures with a grain of salt, you may find you like it once you see/drive it in person. Even if you don’t, you may see this market segment make a comeback over the next few years so if it isn’t the Maverick today, there could be something in the future that does.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Decisions, decisions. Make 'em then don't look back.
-Cost vs. budget.
-Style vs. substance.
-Form vs. function.
-Wants vs. needs.
Sponsored