First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have had this same problem on my lariat hybrid. In nearly 3000 miles it’s done it maybe 4 times and never when I expect so I can catch it on camera. It’s always at low speed during an engine “hand-off” it seems. The whole vehicle shakes or shudders for a few seconds then all is well. I’ve not gone to the dealer (Castrucci Ford of Alexandria KY) yet because there is no way to predict when it will happen. It does seem to be when the engine has not fully warmed up yet though now that I think about it.
I would check with your dealer anyway. Your Maverick sends data to Ford during its operation. The dealer should have a computer record of what's going on with your vehicle.
Sponsored

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
FYI to All - I have a case # now with Ford on this issue. Now I just need to get it to a dealer for a look. That may be a few weeks since I am traveling.

Veer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
veer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have XL hybrid and when its cold outside (20F-35F) and engine is cold, I have felt similar roughness, like the gearing is too high or there's no low end torque. I only have 600 miles, and now its starting to warm up so hopefully there's a software update to reprogram ECU before next winter. Once I am going faster, like 50 mph+, it's smooth. I drive my wife's Prius sometimes and have never felt that, no matter the temp., engine always been smooth.
Keep us updated on what happens, thanks

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I have XL hybrid and when its cold outside (20F-35F) and engine is cold, I have felt similar roughness, like the gearing is too high or there's no low end torque. I only have 600 miles, and now its starting to warm up so hopefully there's a software update to reprogram ECU before next winter. Once I am going faster, like 50 mph+, it's smooth. I drive my wife's Prius sometimes and have never felt that, no matter the temp., engine always been smooth.
Keep us updated on what happens, thanks
You would definitely recognize this. It’s a 2-3 sec burst of whole vehicle vibration that then goes away. Wish I could “make” it happen but it is random.

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
You would definitely recognize this. It’s a 2-3 sec burst of whole vehicle vibration that then goes away. Wish I could “make” it happen but it is random.
Agreed. It’s quite a shake and seems totally random. I just happened to be testing out a camera and recorded it.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wanted to let everyone know of an issue I have had a handful of times and if becomes frequent I will schedule a visit to the Dealer. Anyone remember when driving a stick and accidentally taking off in 3rd instead of 1st? That is kind of what it feels like when this issue comes up. Not sure how else to describe it. It happens for about 2 seconds and goes away. So far it doesnt seem to matter if in Normal or Eco. Will update if / when it is checked out and solved.

Edit: I should add it's always been at slower speeds and perhaps when the engine is cold.

Edit with Video:

Happened to me once so far in about 700 miles for a split second, I immediately let off the gas and it didn’t happen again. If I had to guess the torque limiting clutch disc safety thing on the flywheel (whatever that thing is called) was slipping due to a miscommunication between the ICE and eCVT? I have no background in mechanicy things just my guess. Probably very wrong lol

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Happened to me once so far in about 700 miles for a split second, I immediately let off the gas and it didn’t happen again. If I had to guess the torque limiting clutch disc safety thing on the flywheel (whatever that thing is called) was slipping due to a miscommunication between the ICE and eCVT? I have no background in mechanicy things just my guess. Probably very wrong lol
Could also be the flux capacitor.

LiHingLucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
FYI to All - I have a case # now with Ford on this issue. Now I just need to get it to a dealer for a look. That may be a few weeks since I am traveling.
I have the same issue. Less than 450 miles on my Lariat Lux Hybrid. Has happened twice. Same conditions as you -25-30 mph acceleration out of a parking lot to speed. Just about to hit speed and it shakes. If you care to share your case # I’d like to get this on record with any dealer ASAP. Your case # may make this have a paper trail so I don’t have to deal with all the “can’t replicate so it doesn’t exist” run around. You can DM me if you prefer. Or if you don’t want to share case number, any details you used to get Ford to get this into the system will help.
thanks!

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I have the same issue. Less than 450 miles on my Lariat Lux Hybrid. Has happened twice. Same conditions as you -25-30 mph acceleration out of a parking lot to speed. Just about to hit speed and it shakes. If you care to share your case # I’d like to get this on record with any dealer ASAP. Your case # may make this have a paper trail so I don’t have to deal with all the “can’t replicate so it doesn’t exist” run around. You can DM me if you prefer. Or if you don’t want to share case number, any details you used to get Ford to get this into the system will help.
thanks!
Just sent you a message.

stats

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
LD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Hot Pepper XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Many of us have posted about this same issue in several different threads Seems to be endemic to the Hybrid at this time. For me I can pretty much guarantee it's going to happen during the first drive of the day when weather/ engine is cold, after first stop at intersection, slowly accelerating under electric power and as it encounters the slight grade it switches to gas motor and shudders during transition, like clutch chatter picking too high a gear.

My bet is its the CVT, hopefully addressed by an update.

Sponsored

DCP

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 2018 Escape, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had this occur one time at around 2,700 miles. The weather was probably in the 50s and it occurred right after start up. I had probably driven 400 - 500 yards with no warm-up time.

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I haven’t had it happen in well over 1000 miles now. It’s never done it first thing in the morning. Hopefully by the time my second one gets built (if it ever does) they will have worked out these kinks.

LiHingLucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
Many of us have posted about this same issue in several different threads Seems to be endemic to the Hybrid at this time. For me I can pretty much guarantee it's going to happen during the first drive of the day when weather/ engine is cold, after first stop at intersection, slowly accelerating under electric power and as it encounters the slight grade it switches to gas motor and shudders during transition, like clutch chatter picking too high a gear.

My bet is its the CVT, hopefully addressed by an update.
both mine have happened accelerating on a slight grade as well. But both times after it was driven about 2.5 miles to a business, parked and then after exiting a parking lot about 10-20 min later.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds familiar... in some HF45s, the harmonic balancer on the driveshaft is noisy.
https://www.fordescape.org/threads/marbles-in-the-motor.116456/#post-1149508
Hmm I think it might not be the same but I hear ya on the similarities. Thanks for sharing that. That thread definitely describes the Escape issue as a sound primarily, and seems like a consistent issue that can be mostly be replicated by the affected owners.

On the other hand here (and in our other thread), we experienced a more physical “driving over rocks” type vibration phenomenon very briefly (and very rarely, and hard to replicate), but not any general sounds of rumbling/marbles from the engine otherwise, like while idling.

I only found 2 reports in that thread that may be more similar to our issue here, but it seemed overall different. That is a bit concerning about the clutch dampener issue in our sibling vehicle, and that could still be the source of the vibration when this thing happens in ours?
Sponsored

Last edited: