Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
  • Banned
UPDATE 4/8/22 : Unable to replicate. Bring back if problem persists. Case number. That's it so far. Hopefully they will figure out eventually.

Ford Maverick Hybrid when switching to ICE issue tenor (1)

Ford Maverick Hybrid when switching to ICE issue giphy

Just wanted to let everyone know of an issue I have had a handful of times and if becomes frequent I will schedule a visit to the Dealer. Anyone remember when driving a stick and accidentally taking off in 3rd instead of 1st? That is kind of what it feels like when this issue comes up. Not sure how else to describe it. It happens for about 2 seconds and goes away. So far it doesnt seem to matter if in Normal or Eco. Will update if / when it is checked out and solved.

Edit: I should add it's always been at slower speeds and perhaps when the engine is cold.

Edit with Video:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Just wanted to let everyone know of an issue I have had a handful of times and if becomes frequent I will schedule a visit to the Dealer. Anyone remember when driving a stick and accidentally taking off in 3rd instead of 1st? That is kind of what it feels like when this issue comes up. Not sure how else to describe it. It happens for about 2 seconds and goes away. So far it doesnt seem to matter if in Normal or Eco. Will update if / when it is checked out and solved.

Edit: I should add it's always been at slower speeds and perhaps when the engine is cold.
Hello!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!

Bill Cather

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!
it's quick responses like this that matter.... Thank you FoMoCo

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
  • Banned
it's quick responses like this that matter.... Thank you FoMoCo
Totally agree, but it was an empty gesture, if that. I did receive a call, but the person asked what dealer my Maverick was at. I haven't had the option to see a dealer yet so they said bring it in. It's the equivalent of calling the nurse line and telling them your arm hurts, and they come back with, "Go see the Dr."

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
  • Banned
Here is a quick video. I captured the shutter at about the 8 sec mark. The volume is really low. Sorry about that. It's my Camera.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have not had this problem on my hybrid Lariat but was wondering if you have tried something.
Obviously, you are accelerating at a rate to use the internal combustion engine and that is when the sound occurs. Have you tried replicating the sound a few times at slow speeds so that the engine is off (on electric propulsion only) while monitoring speedometer to replicate speed? If you can replicate the sound in this manner it would indicate that it is not related to the engine being on.

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
  • Banned
I have not had this problem on my hybrid Lariat but was wondering if you have tried something.
Obviously, you are accelerating at a rate to use the internal combustion engine and that is when the sound occurs. Have you tried replicating the sound a few times at slow speeds so that the engine is off (on electric propulsion only) while monitoring speedometer to replicate speed? If you can replicate the sound in this manner it would indicate that it is not related to the engine being on.
I will give that a go and report. Definitely worth getting as much info as possible. It will go to the Dealership on Friday and hopefully I will hear something the following week.

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I have had this same problem on my lariat hybrid. In nearly 3000 miles it’s done it maybe 4 times and never when I expect so I can catch it on camera. It’s always at low speed during an engine “hand-off” it seems. The whole vehicle shakes or shudders for a few seconds then all is well. I’ve not gone to the dealer (Castrucci Ford of Alexandria KY) yet because there is no way to predict when it will happen. It does seem to be when the engine has not fully warmed up yet though now that I think about it.

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
  • Banned
I have had this same problem on my lariat hybrid. In nearly 3000 miles it’s done it maybe 4 times and never when I expect so I can catch it on camera. It’s always at low speed during an engine “hand-off” it seems. The whole vehicle shakes or shudders for a few seconds then all is well. I’ve not gone to the dealer (Castrucci Ford of Alexandria KY) yet because there is no way to predict when it will happen. It does seem to be when the engine has not fully warmed up yet though now that I think about it.
Completely agree. Happens at the hand off and for me usually when the engine is cold and at slow speeds. Sounds like in my vid I was around 30mph when it happened as you can hear the electronic sounds go away at its normal 25 mph. Has happened a handful of times for me. I will let you know if the dealership figures it out. Hard to tell in the video, but its quite the shake. Its enough to throw off the image stabilization on my camera. If I give it gas to accelerate it will stop.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's where a call to your dealers service department and explain the symptoms you are describing above might get you an answer without having to take the truck in

Sponsored

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Completely agree. Happens at the hand off and for me usually when the engine is cold and at slow speeds. Sounds like in my vid I was around 30mph when it happened as you can hear the electronic sounds go away at its normal 25 mph. Has happened a handful of times for me. I will let you know if the dealership figures it out. Hard to tell in the video, but its quite the shake. Its enough to throw off the image stabilization on my camera. If I give it gas to accelerate it will stop.
Glad it’s not just my imagination then. Let me know what your dealer says. I can call mine, but it’s really inconvenient where I’m located. I have no backup transportation and they will need to keep it I’m sure. It’s never done it when the temps were really cold (10-15 deg F). Haven’t seen warm weather yet.

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick HEV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Edit with Video:

I have encountered this issue once on my hybrid. The sound was nearly identical to the one in your video, and the truck was shuddering pretty hard. Again it only lasted a couple of seconds. It was on my normal route home after work, so I am able to duplicate the conditions nearly every day but it has only happened that one time and I did not have it on video.

troynm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat hybrid, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I experienced it once but only for 2-3 seconds. I got off the throttle and it went away. Accelerated again and it did not return. I thought I had a flat or something. It was a pretty good shake too. What it sounds like is when you start off in too high a gear in a manual tranny.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
I think I experienced it once but only for 2-3 seconds. I got off the throttle and it went away. Accelerated again and it did not return. I thought I had a flat or something. It was a pretty good shake too.
Yep. Pretty much the same for me. Either off the gas or give it gas and it goes away and then it might happen some other random day.

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
I should add the first time it did it was a kind of cold morning and instead of leaving my house in electric I pushed the pedal down to start the ICE and it shook pretty badly. So I wasn’t moving yet, still in park.
Sponsored