Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This section is specifically about "Maverick vs it's competition" so it is the right place to post this. Since a lot of users here are concerned about Ford hybrid system's reliability I wanted to point out that even the famous "most reliable manufacturer ever" is having some problems with their hybrids.

[Edit]

Since Snax removed his earlier post, I have to clarify that I was responding to his comment about how this is not related to Maverick Hybrid in any way.
The HV cable on the RAV4 is the one that attaches to the rear electric motor. It was poorly designed and allowed for debris to collect and corrosion to develop. I followed the miles long thread over at the toyotanation forum and was glad to sell my RAV4 hybrid and replace it with a Maverick hybrid. It is a disaster waiting to happen especially if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads during winter.

The hybrid MAV has no such set up. I had a '21 RAV4 hybrid that I sold to purchase my hybrid Maverick and am glad to be done with the Toyota.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a 2017 RAV4 XLE AWD. Great car, but I want something different. Almost went for a RAV4 Hybrid, which is also almost unobtainable, but I am also on the RAV forum, and bad things started to show up, including the inability to fil the gas tank, which may or may not be fixed. Then, the cable problem. Some of the pictures of the corrosion issue are scarey.
Currently, I'm just waiting to sign up on the 15th of Aug for a Larial with all the toys. Either way, I'll be "forced" to drive my RAV for probably at least another year. Maybe the Hybrid Corolla Cross will be out before either the RAV or the Mav. Such a problem!!!

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The % of rav4 hybrid owners having this problem is minuscule. This car sells in huge numbers.

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The % of rav4 hybrid owners having this problem is minuscule. This car sells in huge numbers.
How do you know the percentage? Huge sales has nothing to do with a poorly designed HV cable. Not to mention it likely only occurs in areas with road salt useage.
Give it time. The poorly designed HV connector is in the GEN 5 RAV4. It WILL rear its ugly head.

Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder about folks getting a WoolWax or CRC SP-400 rust proofing system installed. Both are deemed safe for vehicle wiring and synthetic rubber mounts and the like. If that cable is as exposed as it appears and no reason to believe it isn't then it should get a good dosing of the rust inhibitor. Maybe that is all it takes to keep that cable safe, a little preventative maintenance.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Salt on the roads is brutal. I plan on oil guarding my Maverick from day 2. I also have a pressure washer attachment on wheels that sprays up so I can clean the salt off the bottom of my car in the spring.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dang those Canadian snows, they are discriminating against Toyotas

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Salt on the roads is brutal. I plan on oil guarding my Maverick from day 2. I also have a pressure washer attachment on wheels that sprays up so I can clean the salt off the bottom of my car in the spring.
An underbody washer is a good idea. I have one too. In the next couple of weeks I am going to have a local shop fabricate a splash shield for behind the drivers side rear wheel. Splash guards/mud flaps do not help.
It is wide open there and all kinds of crud accumulates. I live and drive on rural dirt/gravel roads and when it rains the gunk that gets packed up there is horrible. I can spend five minutes with a hose spraying up there until it runs clear. Dirt and sand comes out of the tail light area when I do this. I have no idea why Ford did not put a shield there. The passenger side is set up differently and it is not a problem, just the drivers side.
There is a thread on this. A member fabricated a shield and it seems to do the trick.

jons

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oddly enough, I ordered a EB Maverick January 1, 2022...still waiting.

May 19, 2022 ordered a RAV4 XLE that will be arriving June 15, 2022. I became aware of this via alt.forum a few days ago.

It's a gamble anyway you look at the situation...but a bird in the hand.

PS...The RAV4 is a Canadian build.
I ordered july of last year so just be patient! Still do not even have a vin number

Sponsored

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered july of last year so just be patient! Still do not even have a vin number
We are still getting the EB XL…just amazing the difference in wait time. Huge span of pricing, though.

Our state is getting the VINFAST car and battery manufacturing, so I added that to the list too…would be hilarious if I get the all electric before the bare bones pickup.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
RAV4 Prime is competition in my book. I rode around in my sister's before grabbing my Mav. (And I'll ask my sister if Toyato has said anything to their customers.)

Different than Mav Hybrid? Sure.

1. Mav isn't a plugin
2. Mav Hybrid doesn't have rear motor.

But how do naysayers think the Hybrid moves when in electric mode? Hmm?

There's a thick HV cable running from the HV battery to the electric motor. That's how. I can't trace the cable because I've not dissambled my Mav but it's bright orange and starts in the engine bay and heads down to undercarriage. Looks like the RAV4 Prime pics but in different location on the Mav Hybrids.

Any wiring harness can fail, especially a cable:

3. exposed to elements
4. in snow & salt country

I had a standard wiring harness fail on my Chevy for the same scenarios: exposed to elements, and in snow country. Any cable is serious nowadays, even for an EB. My harness fail made a plain old truck undrivable. And cost $2,000 to fix. Luckily under warranty!

The undercarriage of my Mav has plastic "skid" plates that cover up most things, the battery being under passenger rear, so the HV cable would run that length from the motor. But it's not sealed from elements.

I'm going to get undercarriage sprayed ... just haven't decided which product yet.
Sponsored

Last edited: