First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same issue, documenting for others. Hybrid XLT, <1k miles. Any descent where the car gets above 15 mph, I get a continuous vibration into the cabin. Sounds very similar to a regular ICE vehicle in low gear using engine braking when the RPMs rise. It gets louder the faster the car goes. Has happend in normal mode, have not tried other modes. The sound stops when I hit the gas, immediately returns when I let off, or use the brakes.
Sponsored

garn0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like how Ford representative here writes under every Shudder issue that they will help.
But when you will send Ford rep you vin and info, they will just forward you to a dealer.
And when you come to a dealer, they will likely tell that they cant fix it until ford makes a recall.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like how Ford representative here writes under every Shudder issue that they will help.
But when you will send Ford rep you vin and info, they will just forward you to a dealer.
And when you come to a dealer, they will likely tell that they cant fix it until ford makes a recall.
Agreed!

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just experienced a shudder on Monday while stopping to exit a parking lot. Low speed, hard shuddering. I need to see if I caught it on my dashcam.

In my case: it happened at a very slow speed while letting off the gas. Almost like the grabby brake issue from TSB-22-2493 suggests. Even more interesting to note that I previously noted a P0402 on mine around 850 miles on the odo thinking it was bad gas as it cleared and hasn't come back since. Mine is now at 7200 miles.

In another post, it was noted that the grabby brake TSB seemed to reduce the shudder issue.

So for those getting the shudder, I would suggest having your dealer perform the update part of TSB-22-2493 at a minimum. Mine is already scheduled for service soon for the side curtain airbag recall and going to ask them to perform it on mine at the same time.

I am also going to pull the memory card from my dashcam and see if it caught the shudder and add it to this post in the morning if it did capture it.

[EDIT} albeit a bit late, here is the video clip of the shudder I experienced Monday:

Last edited:

Sponsored

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some people would ask, whats with all this talk about a damper?
The damper is a mechanism that includes a set of buffering springs in a frictional circular clutch type disc.
Whats key here is the purpose of this flywheel/damper is to drive the HF45 hybrid unit from the ICE. A straight up mechanical coupling would work w/o a damper, however it would not drive very pleasantly, and it would self destruct itself in no time.
The damper absorbs and minimizes combustion spikes and vibrations along with crankshaft harmonics. Without it these bad vibes would be passed along to the HF45 hybrid unit, which it turn/time would reduce the planetary drive to pile of metal. So to extend life of HF45 and its components some type of buffering/reducing mechanism was inserted in line between the 2.

This is where the damper gets inserted and in theory absorb such, however if its not rigidly designed the damper can beat itself to death.

Enter todays setup, something is defective in the damper and its taking itself out. This is why i say a redesign needs to be considered or the OEM design will just beat itself to death again.

Ford, we listening, to this elementary explained theory?
Does anyone know the difference between the Toyota damper & Ford's? I've never heard about damper failures 0n Toyota hybrids.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I just experienced a shudder on Monday while stopping to exit a parking lot. Low speed, hard shuddering. I need to see if I caught it on my dashcam.

In my case: it happened at a very slow speed while letting off the gas. Almost like the grabby brake issue from TSB-22-2493 suggests. Even more interesting to note that I previously noted a P0402 on mine around 850 miles on the odo thinking it was bad gas as it cleared and hasn't come back since. Mine is now at 7200 miles.

In another post, it was noted that the grabby brake TSB seemed to reduce the shudder issue.

So for those getting the shudder, I would insist having your dealer perform the update part of TSB-22-2493 at a minimum. Mine is already scheduled for service soon for the side curtain airbag recall and going to ask them to perform it on mine at the same time.

I am also going to pull the memory card from my dashcam and see if it caught the shudder and add it to this post in the morning if it did capture it.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

garn0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
What are the process of looking things "On Your End" ?
I provided you with my car info and dealer over 1-2 month ago and have not seen anything since then on your end...

garn0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

So for those getting the shudder, I would suggest having your dealer perform the update part of TSB-22-2493 at a minimum. Mine is already scheduled for service soon for the side curtain airbag recall and going to ask them to perform it on mine at the same time.

[EDIT} albeit a bit late, here is the video clip of the shudder I experienced Monday:

I am having same issue, software update does not fix it. Drove 10 days after update. Still getting same thing.

So this is not a solution by any means.

(Maybe shuddering became a bit less, but by no way i would say that its gone).
I drive in city zone primarily, and speeds are within 10-30mph, and i can reproduce it 3 out of 5 stops easily.

Last edited:

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was wondering if the "Ford Representative" offers just lip service.

Sponsored

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am having same issue, software update does not fix it. Drove 10 days after update. Still getting same thing.

So this is not a solution by any means.

(Maybe shuddering became a bit less, but by no way i would say that its gone).
I drive in city zone primarily, and speeds are within 10-30mph, and i can reproduce it 3 out of 5 stops easily.
It may still be a software issue, just one not fully identified yet. I had a previous Ford Hybrid (2020 Escape) where its issues with the drivetrain were 100% software related. It needs investigation and with as much as you can reproduce it, it might be worth getting some videos of the shudder to share with Ford, or even have someone at the dealership do a ride-along to experience it themselves.

garn0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It may still be a software issue, just one not fully identified yet. I had a previous Ford Hybrid (2020 Escape) where its issues with the drivetrain were 100% software related. It needs investigation and with as much as you can reproduce it, it might be worth getting some videos of the shudder to share with Ford, or even have someone at the dealership do a ride-along to experience it themselves.
That what i did, i reproduced it 5 times when was driving with mechanic , they connected computer.

After that they said "Oh we don't see any issues on computer so you need to schedule a more detailed service with us in 3 month. Car does not sounds right, but we do not know what it is."

3 month is earliest date in their shop.

Another closest available service is 1h drive and available in 2 weeks.

Rest in the area are 2-8 month for first appointment.

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hoping my issue that happened twice after 500 miles and once that was medium at 630 miles was a break in or MidnightBlue learning my driving. Currently near 3k and really has not reared it's head again. Fingers crossed and feel bad for others that have it more constantly. But mine was around 30 mph and felt very strong rapid off on of the ice engine, with no gas or just very lightly easing on the gas.

Maverickshudder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi have had my Maverick Hybrid for a year now 24,000 miles . The shuddering has been going on now for 3 months . So I decided to get wheels balanced and wheel alignment stool same issue . Took it to the dealer to get recall calls done side air bag and engine compartment . They test drove the truck it’ shudders T all speeds when accelerating. Mechanic said he notice the front axle leaking ordered part waiting to replace . I know that this will not fix the problem. After the axle is fixed going to trade it in not going to keep driving with truck shaking like crazy .

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi have had my Maverick Hybrid for a year now 24,000 miles . The shuddering has been going on now for 3 months . So I decided to get wheels balanced and wheel alignment stool same issue . Took it to the dealer to get recall calls done side air bag and engine compartment . They test drove the truck it’ shudders T all speeds when accelerating. Mechanic said he notice the front axle leaking ordered part waiting to replace . I know that this will not fix the problem. After the axle is fixed going to trade it in not going to keep driving with truck shaking like crazy .
Sucks to hear. Would u possibly try to find an Ecoboost ?
Sponsored