Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all
My Hybrid XLT Mav has recently started to shudder when I accelerate then take my foot off the gas. The truck shifts to Electric and during that transition I feel a Shudder. Sometimes it's fairly strong, like when you drive over speed caution strips. Other times it's light but perceptible. I'm beginning to believe there is an issue needing a fix. I'm waiting for others to report similar. In all other ways the truck drives great, and I don't want to take it in because of parts shortages, and service personnel shortages. Are others experiencing this - maybe we can get Ford to take an interest in a recall.
Sponsored

thosw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all
My Hybrid XLT Mav has recently started to shudder when I accelerate then take my foot off the gas. The truck shifts to Electric and during that transition I feel a Shudder. Sometimes it's fairly strong, like when you drive over speed caution strips. Other times it's light but perceptible. I'm beginning to believe there is an issue needing a fix. I'm waiting for others to report similar. In all other ways the truck drives great, and I don't want to take it in because of parts shortages, and service personnel shortages. Are others experiencing this - maybe we can get Ford to take an interest in a recall.
It has been mentioned numerous times on this forum.

OP
OP

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess we are all waiting on a fix. I'd like a response from Ford.

Austun316

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xl
I had the dealer look at it to no avail... Ford was working on it with them as well.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Hi all
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Maverick shuddering concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Mikk, it is a big problem, mine does just like you say, i think its the damper, taking mine in at end of month after air curtain recall.

Hoping they can fix it with a flash.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all
Why not wait until there is a recall when the parts and labor will be in better supply.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just like the cable lug, there may never be a recall, i dont know if we can get Ford to even acknowledge that there is a problem.

So repairs like the cable lug are going to be performed by the owner(me).

Cougars

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick Hybrid XL makes the same noise & vibration when I let off the gas and the engine transitions from ICE to electric. I notice it most when going between 10 - 15 mph up to the crest of a hill and taking my foot off the gas. Although I have heard/felt it when traveling on level ground. I've attached a video with the sound it makes. (turn the volume up)

I've talked with my dealer and he has communicated with Ford. Ford currently has no solution. My dealer thinks the noise might be coming from where the ICE connects/transfers power to the electric motor. So far he only has had one other hybrid come in his shop to compare it to and says it makes the same noise.

My truck runs great and gets great mileage - so we decided to just monitor the noise and let him know if it gets worse.

OP
OP

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick Hybrid XL makes the same noise & vibration when I let off the gas and the engine transitions from ICE to electric. I notice it most when going between 10 - 15 mph up to the crest of a hill and taking my foot off the gas. Although I have heard/felt it when traveling on level ground. I've attached a video with the sound it makes. (turn the volume up)

I've talked with my dealer and he has communicated with Ford. Ford currently has no solution. My dealer thinks the noise might be coming from where the ICE connects/transfers power to the electric motor. So far he only has had one other hybrid come in his shop to compare it to and says it makes the same noise.

My truck runs great and gets great mileage - so we decided to just monitor the noise and let him know if it gets worse.

My truck vibrates upon DECELERATION only. for example this is where I always experience the issue: I am gently accelerating up a slight grade. I get to the top and gently hit the brakes to take a left turn. The ICE shuts down - the Electric regen brakes kick in and I get a powerful vibration that can be felt throughout the truck - vibrates the steering wheel and dashboard. The vibration is clearly a harmonic in the drive system / motor generator. This does not feel in any way like brake rotor warp. It's "electrical" in nature. This pattern sounds backwards from others who say they feel a vibration when they accelerate - going from electric to ICE drive. I never experience this with Accelerating.

Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mik, i second your diagnosis, this is what mine does, but didnt do this new up to about 5000m, was fine.

Mine appears to be getting worse, its not the brakes, not software related.

Mine i still say is the damper out of round/balance or the lining is gone.

I am going to take mine in after air curtain module recall, i will not take(could not duplicate, dont know how to fix)deal. I will take dealer for ride and show him..

OP
OP

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mik, i second your diagnosis, this is what mine does, but didnt do this new up to about 5000m, was fine.

Mine appears to be getting worse, its not the brakes, not software related.

Mine i still say is the damper out of round/balance or the lining is gone.

I am going to take mine in after air curtain module recall, i will not take(could not duplicate, dont know how to fix)deal. I will take dealer for ride and show him..
Okay on the damper- I will be interested if that is it
I have a different diagnosis. I believe the electric motor generator begins to resonate.. as the motor oscillates it changes the output voltage which is picked up by a sensor and trans tries to compensate - thus the harmonic ringing of the drivetrain. What doesn't make sense at all is why only 4K miles and this shows up. This engine setup was used on the Escape Hybrid for Millions of miles. There are no reports. I can't believe that any frictional surface would wear in just 4K miles. Thus - either something is loosening up in the transmission or ? Something very odd which I don't have a clue. I can only say with certain there is one thing that affects the problem - that is the air conditioner. The higher the setting ( the higher the current draw I guess) the more pronounced is the regen braking vibration.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh wow, you have noticied that AC effects it, i need too look into it more.

If it were electric motor would something in there have changed/worn bushings/bearings, etc.?

The Damper is like a driveline clutch between the ICE and Hf45. Did you see the pics i posted. It justs makes more since to me that the damper or flywheel is defective, causing an out of balance/surface irregularities, like a clutch on a standard shift transmission, during a downshift.

I could be absolutely off base, in left field, it just makes sense with the way its wearing and the feel. There was another member on here that has had his replaced and it was pretty much described as such.

If its just driviability change it probably could be fixed with a flash, adjust a couple parameters.

If its a worn mechanical mechanism then replacement would be the only repair.

I also believe the symptoms the other members are seeing is probably the same failure/defect, thats another reason i am pointing to drive clutch.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, lets keep passing info on this and get a solid story to approach dealership. Better, the more brains we got working on it the better off we.
Heres some pics on what i am talking about.

Ford Maverick Hybrid Shudder.  Anyone experiencing a shudder shake in hybrid 20220826_173421

Ford Maverick Hybrid Shudder.  Anyone experiencing a shudder shake in hybrid 20220826_172442

Ford Maverick Hybrid Shudder.  Anyone experiencing a shudder shake in hybrid 20220826_172428
Sponsored