Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
No i was just kidding, i love my Mav.

I should not have posted this stuff, i apologize Ford, and you guys manufacture a quality product.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its what i refer to as the driveline clutch, all engine tq go thru this bad boy on way to HF45 hybrid unit.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see a TSB about this on the NHTSA website. Do you have a link or anything that indicates that
"ALL? HYBRID effected"?

In case anyone is interested, here's a link to the posted TSBs on the NHTSA website:
2022 FORD MAVERICK PU/CC 2WD | NHTSA

Last edited:

fordluvr44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see a TSB about this on the NHTSA website. Do you have a link or anything that indicates that
"ALL? HYBRID effected"?

In case anyone is interested, here a link to the posted TSBs on the NHTSA website:
2022 FORD MAVERICK PU/CC 2WD | NHTSA
Holy shit yeah I am definitely going to get that warranty 😳

Coming from driving a shit box Toyota Corolla that I just put gas and oil in for over 200K miles, I'm optimistic.

(Okay maybe a few $500 part orders when a wear part wore out or a belt snapped, but yessir)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not quite yet, but its coming.

Heres my story, no vibration, no shudder until 5000m, then started noticing slight vibration when deacceleration. Now at 7000m was regularly shuddering, at 10000m its getting unbearable, and can hardly drive vehicle.

Seems like at every day, more people are complaining of engine vibration, shuddering upon acceleration, and shuddering upon deceleration.

Several members have had theirs into dealer, dealer either says cant duplicate, or they dont know whats wrong.

There is a posting right now of a mans who came apart at 80mph. I have heard of another member had his replaced.
I diagnosed mine as the damper causing vibration and shuddering, i will have mine in the shop at the end of month as soon as the air curtain recall, get it all taken care of at once.

Reactions: JAC
OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will be covered under warranty, you are just going to be down at least a week, then you have a Mav, that had engine R&R.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its still to early to determined how many are effected. Thats why i say all hybrid, till we can start collecting data to determine such.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely be of a TSB status now.

fordluvr44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Definitely let us know how it goes

Reactions: JAC
Sponsored

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a damper of some kind on the fly wheel? Back in the day there is one on the other end of the crankshaft the harmonic damper. So this damper is only on the hybrid,. I would assume Ford knows WHY this is happening and has fixed it for 2023. I just ordered a hybrid 2023. I wonder why the WHOLE engine has to come out. You used to be able to remove the transmission on a front driver without taking the engine out. I have been out of the game of working at the dealer as mechanic for quite a while now,

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There is a damper of some kind on the fly wheel? Back in the day there is one on the other end of the crankshaft the harmonic damper. So this damper is only on the hybrid,. I would assume Ford knows WHY this is happening and has fixed it for 2023. I just ordered a hybrid 2023. I wonder why the WHOLE engine has to come out. You used to be able to remove the transmission on a front driver without taking the engine out. I have been out of the game of working at the dealer as mechanic for quite a while now,
The eCVT in Hybrids uses a sun and planet gear - A system of gearwheels consisting of a central wheel (a sun gear or sun wheel ) around which one or more outer wheels ( planet gears or planet wheels ) travel - rather than belt and pulley system (normal CVT), or traditional automatic transmission. Totally different setup.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The engine has to come out, cause the HF45 is huge, you can see this in the pics.

Ford labels it as a damper and flywheel, it is a friction driveline clutch in my book.
I drove mine today, with paying very close attention to the operation and interaction of the shuddering ICE. First i hear/feel the vibration/shudder right in front of me, i can feel in the toeboard/pedal different vibration.

Pretty much anytime the ICE changes mode/on or off, you can feel a change of position, a shudder, it apperas to me friction clutch is not holding and it shifts rotational position.

Another problem with this is dealerships are saying i dont know what it is, so we are going to have to drive them until it fails totally and comes apart, before they attempt a repair.

We will be hearing about these failures more and more as people put more miles on their Mavs, i was hoping it wouldnt come to this, and i was even accepting a little shudder here and there.

I have 12000m on mine and its getting worse and frequency is almost all the time.

Ford is going to have to do a redesign, if not, we will be getting these changed regularly because of a defective design. I have gone though this before a few times with a dual mass flywheel, on the 7.3s, on the dual mass flywheels on the Jettas as well, i have replaced more then my share(maybe i should not whine about it but embrace the business opportunity).

Hope this info makes others understand what the failure is and how to approach it. Its in Fords hands now, lets see what happens.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pics 1, 2, 4 are the damper(friction clutch disc) splined hub to input shaft of HF45

Pic 3 is flywheel bolted to ICE

Pic1,4 is engine side

Pic 2 is HF45 side

Ford Maverick Hybrid shudder recall 20220826_172700

The little note at the bottom clearly states, transmission cannot be removed seperately from the vehicle seperate from the engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some people would ask, whats with all this talk about a damper?
The damper is a mechanism that includes a set of buffering springs in a frictional circular clutch type disc.
Whats key here is the purpose of this flywheel/damper is to drive the HF45 hybrid unit from the ICE. A straight up mechanical coupling would work w/o a damper, however it would not drive very pleasantly, and it would self destruct itself in no time.
The damper absorbs and minimizes combustion spikes and vibrations along with crankshaft harmonics. Without it these bad vibes would be passed along to the HF45 hybrid unit, which it turn/time would reduce the planetary drive to pile of metal. So to extend life of HF45 and its components some type of buffering/reducing mechanism was inserted in line between the 2.

This is where the damper gets inserted and in theory absorb such, however if its not rigidly designed the damper can beat itself to death.

Enter todays setup, something is defective in the damper and its taking itself out. This is why i say a redesign needs to be considered or the OEM design will just beat itself to death again.

Ford, we listening, to this elementary explained theory?
Sponsored