First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I originally learned about the maverick back in November of 21 and was immediately hooked by the style, form factor, capability, and the MPG of the hybrid option. I had wanted to wait till the MY 23 orders open up as I don't "need" a new vehicle currently and was wanting to order a XLT Hybrid with the Lux Package, that price tag of just over $27,000 was also nice to see. The longer ive waited, more ive seen, and ive driven two different Mavericks at this point, both 2.0 EcoBoost i'm torn. I feel like the XLT with Lux, AWD, 4K, and off road is so much more "truck"/capability for only ~$3,500 extra.

For background, I live in Iowa with the extreme heat, and snow/Icey winters, I know FWD is better then rear for snow and ice for sure, but I know AWD is even more capable. Granted with some weight in the bed of course, and the extra modes the off road package offers such as rutts and snow.

What does everyone think on this?
Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, a good set of snow tires is your number one choice for the winter - way more important than AWD. I ordered AWD only because I need it to get up and down a crazy steep driveway in comfort. Otherwise, FWD with snows is probably all you need. The old adage is "AWD gets you going. Snow tires get you stopped". I drove RWD cars all the time 50 years ago in Erie PA winters - no problem at all with snow tires.

Snow tires are so critical I think Quebec and BC require them. But you must have the discipline to change into and out of them spring and fall.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have had 4x4 suvs since 2008 and ordered a hybrid. Before my suvs I drove a 2001 mustang gt through a few NewEngland winters. I think a hybrid with some good A/T tires will work great.

oneinch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stanton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got a hybrid for MPG. As for winter driving use winter tires. They do make all the difference in the world. If you can't get around in a FWD Maverick with winter tires you probably shouldn't be out driving. Wait for the roads to be plowed. Hopefully your area does in fact plow the roads.

OP
OP
Chandler29

Chandler29

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, a good set of snow tires is your number one choice for the winter - way more important than AWD. I ordered AWD only because I need it to get up and down a crazy steep driveway in comfort. Otherwise, FWD with snows is probably all you need. The old adage is "AWD gets you going. Snow tires get you stopped". I drove RWD cars all the time 50 years ago in Erie PA winters - no problem at all with snow tires.

Snow tires are so critical I think Quebec and BC require them. But you must have the discipline to change into and out of them spring and fall.
I have had 4x4 suvs since 2008 and ordered a hybrid. Before my suvs I drove a 2001 mustang gt through a few NewEngland winters. I think a hybrid with some good A/T tires will work great.
I see. I have only owned two vehicles, a 03 dodge stratus fwd performed amazing in my winters, and my current 2014 Taurus with its awd has always handled the snow, ice, slush, even some mud with little issue. I think with the recent changes in gas prices, even with them going down ive been leaning back towards the hybrid as it presents an amazing price - mpg - capability that I think fits my needs. I have never had a need to tow anything so I don't think that the 2,000lbs capacity of the hybrid will really hold me back any either. I'll defiantly have to look into some snow tires to swap out to get the best out of it, or maybe like suggested some good All Terrain tires for year round use. Appreciate the input!

Sponsored

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Definitely hybrid. I've only had my and a half weeks and put about 800 miles on it have had a high between 44 and 48 mph has plenty of power no problem at all must have passed semis in cars on the freeway no problem at all once I let the air pressure down on the tires right very good comfortable quiet. Temperature in West Tennessee 95 + Heat index 100 +ice cold Air weather traffic or out on the road so for me definitely the hybrid.
Ford Maverick Hybrid or EcoBoost? IMG_20220718_171907399~2

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

AWD with all season tires vs. FWD with winter tires

Grim_Skunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends what you'll be doing with it. Hybrid is absolutely worth it for the MPG, but its a "city truck". The Ecoboost is worth it for the AWD traction and 4K. but.. do you absolutely need AWD in the winter months? No.

I tried out my brother in-law's Ecoboost AWD the other day. The acceleration is like a Sling Shot, slight hesitation like if its getting ready to launch, then you feel the turbo kick in and your flying. More power going up hills, bumps feels smoother (could be the different tires), it feels more like a truck. My brother in-law drives off-road and hauls heavy trailers. Its perfect for him.

My hybrid is instant acceleration with no hesitation, but definitely not as quick on the long run as the EB. The steering seemed smother and quicker for some reason (could be the different tires). I use my hybrid truck for my work, averaging 45mpg, haul a few larger things at times. I'm not worried about FWD in the northern Canadian winters. Its perfect for me.

Deppizzymo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have driven through 18 winters at this point since having my license. Only one single time have I not made it into work/school with front wheel drive compact cars my entire driving life... This is also while having a 30+ minute commute those entire 18 years. February 2011 we got 21 inches of snow and I worked swing shift. I went to bed after my night shift and when I woke up and looked outside I totally freaked out. Tried to drive my civic in 2 hours early and I made it down my drive and was buried. I drove my mom's Honda Element that day. It took me 1.5 hours to drive my 30 minute commute lol. Fortunately I left so early that I had some spare time so I pulled into the local Long John Silver's drive thru they literally said "hello!?". When I placed my order they said "we'll have to turn the ovens on... you're our first customer". It was 4:30pm haha. Long story short... The true need for AWD is overblown unless you're hauling/off road/live in mountainous or rarely bladed areas.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tried out my brother in-law's Ecoboost AWD the other day.

... bumps feels smoother (could be the different tires),
Probably due to the independent rear suspension on the AWD.

Last edited:
Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have driven through 18 winters at this point since having my license. Only one single time have I not made it into work/school with front wheel drive compact cars my entire driving life... This is also while having a 30+ minute commute those entire 18 years. February 2011 we got 21 inches of snow and I worked swing shift. I went to bed after my night shift and when I woke up and looked outside I totally freaked out. Tried to drive my civic in 2 hours early and I made it down my drive and was buried. I drove my mom's Honda Element that day. It took me 1.5 hours to drive my 30 minute commute lol. Fortunately I left so early that I had some spare time so I pulled into the local Long John Silver's drive thru they literally said "hello!?". When I placed my order they said "we'll have to turn the ovens on... you're our first customer". It was 4:30pm haha. Long story short... The true need for AWD is overblown unless you're hauling/off road/live in mountainous or rarely bladed areas.
AWD certainly is a benefit, in certain situations, but for the most part it's been great marketing gimmick for the automotive industry in terms of safety. Tons of objective tests, such as the video posted earlier in this thread, proving that FWD with snow tires is vastly superior to AWD on all-seasons (all other things being equal). Our current VW jetta on snows is way better in the snow than my wife's old WRX on all-seasons. We're going on 15yrs living in the Utah mountains without a single issue with FWD vehicles, and we do a ton of outdoor mountain sports in the winter. The added upfront cost, tire hassle (replacing all at the same time), minor fuel efficiency decrease, etc. has never been worth it to us although we deal with a ton of snow.

Buy AWD because you want more off-road capability, are towing something, or just like the traction out of the hole; it is generally vastly overrated for snow (compared to FWD). Either way, proper tires are far more important.

Deppizzymo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AWD certainly is a benefit, in certain situations, but for the most part it's been great marketing gimmick for the automotive industry in terms of safety. Tons of objective tests, such as the video posted earlier in this thread, proving that FWD with snow tires is vastly superior to AWD on all-seasons (all other things being equal). Our current VW jetta on snows is way better in the snow than my wife's old WRX on all-seasons. We're going on 15yrs living in the Utah mountains without a single issue with FWD vehicles, and we do a ton of outdoor mountain sports in the winter. The added upfront cost, tire hassle (replacing all at the same time), minor fuel efficiency decrease, etc. has never been worth it to us although we deal with a ton of snow.

Buy AWD because you want more off-road capability, are towing something, or just like the traction out of the hole; it is generally vastly overrated for snow (compared to FWD). Either way, proper tires are far more important.
Exactly! Thinking back to my 21 inches of snow it was far less to do with the lack of AWD than it was with ground clearance. I bet if my 1993 Honda Civic had 21 inch wheels I would have made it :D

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It has been mentioned that the hybrid has a rougher ride than ecoboost because the awd has independent suspension. Front wheel drive is good enough, but there are those few times when the intelligent awd saves the day. I have the same truck ( except for alloy wheels with wild peaks 235x65rx17 and 360) and happy to say I really like the truck. I’m for the hybrid, but when in cold climates, I think the eco boost is a stronger choice.
Sponsored