Torn between ecoboost or Hybrid

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Will more weight really negatively affect overall mpg on the hybrid? It seems that if there is more mass to be stopped, there is more energy to be generated (what regenerative braking is about.) In fact the MPG benefit of the hybrid may potentially increase in this case (relative to EB.)

The ecoboost might however offer an advantage in a hilly area, and potentially hillbilly areas as well.:) (for the record, I ordered an eco-boost.)
Regenerative braking will only supply so much recovery. If it were 100% effective (thus denying physics) mass would make no difference. But darn that maxswellian demon has to be fed.
Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I... drive around all day carrying about 1,000 lbs daily. I love the hybrid ... but maybe won’t be as good for me because of the weight to power ratio?
Lots of good discussion of acceleration. Yes, the weight will slow you down, but not hurt the vehicle.
maybe I’d get around the same mpg as the ecoboost
There are two sides to the hybrid drivetrain, and this discussion has been focused on the propulsion side. As such, it's missed the most relevant part - regenerative braking. Mass hurts mileage when the energy of motion is turned into heat by friction brakes. Not so in a hybrid. Regen braking can be 85-90% efficient.

You should ask yourself if you can drive in the manner required to take advantage of the hybrid drivetrains characteristics. On the braking side, you'll have 35kW of braking force available before the friction brakes kick in. The trick is to start braking early enough that 35kW can get you slowed down enough. Below ~5 mph, it's all friction braking anyway (motors are turning too slow).

The car helps. It can flash a "regen score" every time you stop, and track regen long term. I have a numeric display of regen power, the Analog Maverick dash has an analog dial showing both drive and braking power. It provides the real-time feedback that makes 90%+ braking scores easy to achieve.

The C-Max reported "regen miles" for each trip (Escape doesn't). I found a 10% benefit in low speed driving, but only 1-2 in highway driving, where you rarely stop. We had a C-MAx forum member (Recompense) who carried tools/parts for appliance repair, and had among the highest mileage scores because he drove slow over rural roads.

To summarize, the water weight will hurt things like acceleration rate, but not your ability to climb grades. Regenerative braking will allow you to recapture a lot of braking energy, negating much of the penalty of heavy load weight. Rolling resistance is also weight sensitive, but it's a small factor. You'll do very well with the hybrid.
I look forward to saving money on brakes and fill ups
Yes and no.

Regen brakes only work on the front axel, so the rear brakes are in constant use to maintain brake balance. In my neck of the woods, the front brakes will rust out before they have much wear. Low-mileage drivers are unlikely to see reduced brake maintenance costs.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Regenerative braking will only supply so much recovery. If it were 100% effective (thus denying physics) mass would make no difference. But darn that maxswellian demon has to be fed.
But you only need 90% effectiveness to push the decimal point to the left on the mileage impact. Regen turns a 20% mileage impact for heavy load into a 2% impact, which few would notice.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will more weight really negatively affect overall mpg on the hybrid? One would think that if there is more mass to be stopped, there is more energy to be generated (what regenerative braking is about.) Hence it seems the MPG benefit of the hybrid may potentially increase in this case (relative to EB.)
It's still more mass to accelerate as well.

OP
OP
Rozay

Rozay

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav EB FWD LUX Area 51
Lots of good discussion of acceleration. Yes, the weight will slow you down, but not hurt the vehicle.

There are two sides to the hybrid drivetrain, and this discussion has been focused on the propulsion side. As such, it's missed the most relevant part - regenerative braking. Mass hurts mileage when the energy of motion is turned into heat by friction brakes. Not so in a hybrid. Regen braking can be 85-90% efficient.

You should ask yourself if you can drive in the manner required to take advantage of the hybrid drivetrains characteristics. On the braking side, you'll have 35kW of braking force available before the friction brakes kick in. The trick is to start braking early enough that 35kW can get you slowed down enough. Below ~5 mph, it's all friction braking anyway (motors are turning too slow).

The car helps. It can flash a "regen score" every time you stop, and track regen long term. I have a numeric display of regen power, the Analog Maverick dash has an analog dial showing both drive and braking power. It provides the real-time feedback that makes 90%+ braking scores easy to achieve.

The C-Max reported "regen miles" for each trip (Escape doesn't). I found a 10% benefit in low speed driving, but only 1-2 in highway driving, where you rarely stop. We had a C-MAx forum member (Recompense) who carried tools/parts for appliance repair, and had among the highest mileage scores because he drove slow over rural roads.

To summarize, the water weight will hurt things like acceleration rate, but not your ability to climb grades. Regenerative braking will allow you to recapture a lot of braking energy, negating much of the penalty of heavy load weight. Rolling resistance is also weight sensitive, but it's a small factor. You'll do very well with the hybrid.

Yes and no.

Regen brakes only work on the front axel, so the rear brakes are in constant use to maintain brake balance. In my neck of the woods, the front brakes will rust out before they have much wear. Low-mileage drivers are unlikely to see reduced brake maintenance costs.
Thanks for the response. Didn’t know this about hybrids

Deleted member 1370

Have you seen something official on that?

I switched to a spray-in liner a couple of weeks ago because my dealer showed me this image from his system. It showed Bed Tray Liner and Hard Drop-in as "Late Availability" but nothing on the Spray-in.

1629736848982.png

I wondering if I made the wrong choice. Any info would be appreciated.
perhaps i worded it wrong with constraint. However vehicles with NO bed liner whether plastic drop in or spray in is being built immediately basically. And ones with the luxury package are being prioritized for spray in liners as of now. I doubt its gonna be months wait for spray in but may be an extra few weeks. Ive heard even line-x is having trouble getting the materials as of late. nothing official from ford themselves but orders with spray in liners as an standalone option are being built later than those with not or with the lux. package. keep in mind I TOO am one whom chose a spray in liner as a standalone option
Sponsored