Torn between ecoboost or Hybrid

Rozay

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav EB FWD LUX Area 51
want to make the right decision for my particular need. I’m a pool guy and drive around all day carrying about 1,000 lbs daily. I love the hybrid as far as mpg but maybe won’t be as good for me because of the weight to power ratio? Maybe ecoboost with more power at the end would give me around the same mpg as the hybrid would because of the weight I’ll always be carrying?
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
want to make the right decision for my particular need. I’m a pool guy and drive around all day carrying about 1,000 lbs daily. I love the hybrid as far as mpg but maybe won’t be as good for me because of the weight to power ratio? Maybe ecoboost with more power at the end would give me around the same mpg as the hybrid would because of the weight I’ll always be carrying?
If your mileage is in town, get the hybrid, if it is on the highway get the ecoboost

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it's simple: you want more city MPG above all else? - hybrid. You want more towing w/4k pack (bigger radiator, oil cooler, etc.) and AWD? - 2.0 Ecoboost.

OP
OP
Rozay

Rozay

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it's simple: you want more city MPG above all else? - hybrid. You want more towing w/4k pack (bigger radiator, oil cooler, etc.) and AWD? - 2.0 Ecoboost.
Definitely like the hybrid better. I was just thinking that with 1,000 lbs in the bed at mostly all times that maybe I’d get around the same mpg as the ecoboost as I believe I would have to “force” the hybrid more due to the weight

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
Hybrid. 1,000 lbs is OK. You'll feel it but the electric torque will handle it.

I once looked at used, surplus Frontiers from a large pool service. Every one had significant rust issues in the bed. Chlorine spills?

I expect to see hybrid XL's replacing the fleets of frontiers I typically see at auto parts stores and other delivery services.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Definitely like the hybrid better. I was just thinking that with 1,000 lbs in the bed at mostly all times that maybe I’d get around the same mpg as the ecoboost as I believe I would have to “force” the hybrid more due to the weight
I don't think mpg will even be remotely close, even with 1k pounds. The hybrid will still beat the 2.0 handily in city driving. The other thing you need to consider, since you'll be putting more miles on it, are the maintenance cost. The hybrid will be drastically cheaper overall, even if you aren't getting all the way to 40 mpg.

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Is the bigger rad, oil cooler, etc. included on all of the 2.0 AWD? Or is it just with the tow package?

Sponsored

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
The hybrid will be drastically cheaper overall, even if you aren't getting all the way to 40 mpg.
That’s not really true for hybrids since they still have an engine. That’s definitely true for strictly electric vehicles. If anything, the service will be the same, or more involved since there is more than one system to inspect, and in the 2.0 case service.

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In your case I would opt for Ecoboost.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I once looked at used, surplus Frontiers from a large pool service. Every one had significant rust issues in the bed. Chlorine spills?
Chlorine is an oxidizer. The company I work for has some Gators and the ones our pool staff use the beds are likewise pretty swiss-cheesed.

OP
OP
Rozay

Rozay

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to all the answers.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
That’s not really true for hybrids since they still have an engine. That’s definitely true for strictly electric vehicles. If anything, the service will be the same, or more involved since there is more than one system to inspect, and in the 2.0 case service.
The cost will not be the same. The 2.5 is an Atkinson cycle, and will not run nearly as much. Additionally the transmission is far simpler, and the brakes will get used a lot less.
Sponsored