Sponsored

Hybrid or 2.0L Eco - trying to figure out which to order

Deleted member 22467

Hey all,

So I am looking for my first "truck" and decided to go with a Maverick for 2023 (Cactus Grey or Carbonized Grey). Orginally wanted the Hybrid due to the amt of driving I will be doing with a new job on the East Coast. But then I realized the Hybrid doesn't have AWD which living on the East Coast you need AWD for snowfall even though eerily we haven't had much snow past few years. So now I'm leaning towards the 2.0L Eco boost with AWD, I'm seeing rather interesting MPG data. Some claim 14-17MPG which I find awful but the majority seems to be getting 27-31MPG. I don't know if you guys would have any thoughts on either or. Hybrid or 2.0L Eco with AWD... any PRO's vs CONS I might be overlooking? Thanks much in advance.
Just do a comparison of the things that are important to you. For me it'sthe gas milage that the Hybrid brings to the table. AWD is ok if you need it in snow etc. How often are you likely to be driving in the snow? I have driven three F-150s my latest a FWD. I like the look of the FWD vs a 2WD but in reality it isn't worth the extra money a F-150 with 4WD costs where I live in North Georgia as we get little snow. BTW, folk have been driving without AWD for years, It has some advantages but gas mialge suffers too. The utility of the Maverick is fine for me as I don't do much hauling or towing a small trailer, which I have for my riding mower, in case I need to haul it. It boils down to what is most important to you. For me it's hands down, gas milage. Best of luck with your choice.
Sponsored

Deleted member 22467

Hey all,

So I am looking for my first "truck" and decided to go with a Maverick for 2023 (Cactus Grey or Carbonized Grey). Orginally wanted the Hybrid due to the amt of driving I will be doing with a new job on the East Coast. But then I realized the Hybrid doesn't have AWD which living on the East Coast you need AWD for snowfall even though eerily we haven't had much snow past few years. So now I'm leaning towards the 2.0L Eco boost with AWD, I'm seeing rather interesting MPG data. Some claim 14-17MPG which I find awful but the majority seems to be getting 27-31MPG. I don't know if you guys would have any thoughts on either or. Hybrid or 2.0L Eco with AWD... any PRO's vs CONS I might be overlooking? Thanks much in advance.
One more thing, You will save money with the Hybrid on oil changes as the oil will not need changing as often as the ecoboost. One more reason to go Hybrid.

mp2

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback; 2022 Toyota Highlander
Engine
Undecided
I also debated what to order this fall. Based on feedback on this site and using my average weekly commuting, I calculated gas will cost around $500 more per year for the EB. I think I can live with that, so I can tow our camper 5-10 times per year. We currently use a hybrid highlander for towing it (2,200 pound popup).

Deleted member 1483

Both the Hybrid and 2.0 Ecoboost have good fuel economy, but it really comes down to what you prioritize in a vehicle.

AWD is a nice feature to have, there are plenty of videos that show that tires can make all the difference in snow and winter driving conditions. FWD with a good set of snow tires might be enough to suit your needs. I have driven my FWD Hybrid in the snow with no issues.

In terms of fuel efficiency, the Maverick Hybrid will always be better. I have averaged around 43mpg mixed for the last 6000 miles. Without hypermiling both will get a similar range because of the fuel tank being larger on the ecoboost.

The hybrid will be harder to get, and to get one at all you'll be looking for one on a dealer lot with a markup.

The ecoboost model will always be better at towing. I plan on sticking to around the max of 2000lbs for my hybrid which isn't very much.

The ecvt is an excellent driving experience. It drives smoothly and the engine is usually quieter than the minimal road noise as it is. Most of the time on back roads the engine is off more than 50% of the time anyway. The hybrid is not slow. I would say it's very similar to the ecoboost for all normal driving situations. The ecoboost would probably hit 100 faster but when are you going to do that?

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP, you may be at the mercy of what you can actually find that is affordable, since '23 orders are closed. Either will serve you well.

But in a perfect world, *IF* the only reason you are considering an AWD Mav is for occasional snow driving, that may not be the most logical decision. Unless you will be frequently traversing deep snow covered mountain roads, a FWD Mav, be it hybrid or EB, will do just fine, even more so with dedicated winter tires. AWD is typically a better choice if you plan to tow, haul heavy loads, go off road, etc...

Good luck!

Sponsored

907Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 RAM 2500 Cummins, 23 Maverick XLT Hybrid???
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey all,

I wanted a commuter with good MPG but also something with a bed that family/friends can jump in for fishing, hiking, camping, whatever, so the hybrid is great for me. I have a 4WD diesel truck but it will be dedicated to heavy duty work once I get my Maverick in a couple weeks. Winter in Alaska is roughly 6 months and I’ve driven plenty of FWD vehicles for both seasons (winter and road construction) without any problems to report. Heck, my wife drives a FWD minivan with almost no clearance and we drive it to Anchorage all the time during winter (90 miles round-trip)… with studs of course.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hybrid unless you really need 4k towing. Look at it this way: Eb/4wd for a day you MIGHT need 4wd, or hybrid mpgs for EVERY day of the year, guaranteed?

Also, have you lived this long without 4wd? Do you really need it?
IRS with AWD is a superior ride in all driving conditions. Very important to this hybrid vs. ECO comparison but rarely mentioned.

dadd75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.universityofheaven.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2013 Buick Encore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I moved to SC two years ago this June, moved from northern Michigan by Lake Michigan, so lots of lake effect snow in the winter months. I drove a FWD Chevy HHR for 11 years, using Blizzak snow tires all around and never had an issue. For basic paved surface driving, a hybrid should do you fine.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Ranger Lariat Crew
Engine
Undecided
Hey all,

We have our fair share of snow in Maine and every FWD not 4WD, we’ve owned, had dedicated snows mounted to dedicated wheels on all four locations and never had issues. Just need to be smart when to stay off the effing road.

Last edited:

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You really don't need AWD in New England. I should know as I lived there for 20+ years, and my youth before that was spent in NW Pennsylvania. You need snow tires - not all season tires - snow tires. The best solution is to get some true snow tires mounted on steelies with TPMS from Tire Rack. Since you can throw them in the back for a trip to the local dealer spring and fall, it's really easy (as long as you can store them).

I have AWD for my vertical gravel drive here in the twisty WNC mountains. New England is way too civilized for that. The roads are salted and plowed and you rarely see a road with snow on it 24 hours after a storm.

AWD will get you going, but it won't get you stopped. Snow tires get you stopped. Snow tires prevent bent metal.

That said - there's nothing wrong with AWD plus snow tires. But forced to choose between the two for on-road driving in snow, anybody who knows anything won't hesitate to choose snow tires.

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go with the hybrid. I live in the Northeast and so far it has been great! Get some good AT tires and you should be all set!

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
25 highway?

I've never gotten below 34 highway, that's if I'm going 75-80mph.
The worst I had hybrid first edition lariat in @106-109°F temp with 25-35 mph head wind with 450lbs passengers and 600lbs in bed with cover open. AC set at 72°F fan speed 3 on 360 mile trip was 30.2MPG!

Last edited:

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well hello here's another opinion with some pics. I live in North West Tennessee I have a 22 XLT hybrid with wild peak tires on it. We have had one hell of a winter this year down to minus 22 windchill and lots of ice and snow sometimes together. My hybrid did fantastic in the snow and ice also gone across country from Tennessee to California and on the road got as high as 40 miles per gallon with the cruise set at 70 miles per hour. Very happy with all of it .🇺🇸👍🙂👻

Ford Maverick Hybrid or 2.0L Eco - trying to figure out which to order IMG_20230131_151135777_HDR

Ford Maverick Hybrid or 2.0L Eco - trying to figure out which to order IMG_20230131_150932437_HDR

Ford Maverick Hybrid or 2.0L Eco - trying to figure out which to order IMG_20230131_151224628_HDR

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I will say, my Hybrid seems to handle the snow just fine.

Y'know, after I dig it out.

Ford Maverick Hybrid or 2.0L Eco - trying to figure out which to order snowtruck

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey all,

We opted for the hybrid as it can be flat towed behind the RV.
Sponsored