Sponsored

Hybrid Engine Fire Recall? Is this an actual fix, or a Band-Aid?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the manufacturer identified the problem, how did the affected crankshafts get into the parts inventory?
They knew that 25 were potentially produced under the machinery failure but they had made it into the part pool.

Investigation revealed that between February 22 and February 23, 2021, ChEP1 produced 25 crankshafts with potentially out of specification surface finish on crankshaft connecting rod journal #4 due to an emery lapping tape breakage that resulted in incomplete polishing. The 25 suspect crankshafts were not contained. Subsequent investigation showed that the 25 suspect crankshafts were included on a pallet of 200 parts that was forwarded to the engine assembly area. Plant records indicate the crankshafts could have been installed in any of 199 suspect engines. The 199 suspect engines were traced to 204 vehicles based on Louisville Assembly Plant traceability records (including 163 vehicles in the U.S.).
Of those 163 vehicles 8 failed by the time of the recall leaving the remaining 155 open for the inspection to replace.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Whatthewhat11

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's not been established. The recall is for the fluid/air dynamics in the engine compartment. If there were faulty cranks in the Maverick they would recall the Maverick for the cranks (like they did for the escape).
My understanding and what is stated in the video, is that the fluid leaking/ evaporation is due to the potential of a faulty crank

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding and what is stated in the video, is that the fluid leaking/ evaporation is due to the potential of a faulty crank
That's never actually been established though. Could be the case, but there is currently zero evidence (that I've seen) that any Mavericks have faulty cranks. It's all inference at the point.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's never actually been established though. Could be the case, but there is currently zero evidence (that I've seen) that any Mavericks have faulty cranks. It's all inference at the point.
Maybe there are some bad cranks, or whatever. Who knows?

But until Ford announces something, it seems just as likely that they are doing the recall because the current shield design creates a fire hazard no matter what the cause of an oil or fuel vapor spill.

Ford hasn't forgotten the Pinto. I think they will do whatever they can to avoid "Fords on Fire" headlines.

OP
OP

Whatthewhat11

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are so many other things that can leave you stranded besides a bad crankshaft in modern vehicles but you are worried about a crankshaft.

You should be happy about the 8/100,000 ratio. Drive the piss out of it for a couple thousand miles and see if the crankshaft blows the motor at least if you get the recall done it won't catch on fire too.
Whether other unexpected things can go wrong is irrelevant. It's a known issue, that Ford has acknowledged.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe there are some bad cranks, or whatever. Who knows?

But until Ford announces something, it seems just as likely that they are doing the recall because the current shield design creates a fire hazard no matter what the cause of an oil or fuel vapor spill.

Ford hasn't forgotten the Pinto. I think they will do whatever they can to avoid "Fords on Fire" headlines.
Yeah. If I had to guess the bad cranks illuminated this design flaw and given the relatively easy fix Ford decided to do the recall so they don't have issues in the future.

Pinto happened before most of ford's actuaries were born, but they all learned about it in business school so it looms large, but Ford like any other company is going to run the cost benefit for every potential recall.

OP
OP

Whatthewhat11

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Investigation revealed that between February 22 and February 23, 2021, ChEP1 produced 25 crankshafts with potentially out of specification surface finish on crankshaft connecting rod journal #4 due to an emery lapping tape breakage that resulted in incomplete polishing. The 25 suspect crankshafts were not contained. Subsequent investigation showed that the 25 suspect crankshafts were included on a pallet of 200 parts that was forwarded to the engine assembly area. Plant records indicate the crankshafts could have been installed in any of 199 suspect engines. The 199 suspect engines were traced to 204 vehicles based on Louisville Assembly Plant traceability records (including 163 vehicles in the U.S.).

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That happened 6 months before Mavericks went into production and they went to an assembly plant that's 2000 miles and a country away from where Mavericks are assembled.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are two different things that seem to be going on here.

Ford recall 22S10 was issued on Feb 24, 2022, relating to a small batch of 25 crankshafts believed to have been improperly machined. Those parts were loaded into a pallet of 200 crankshafts that were used to produce 199 completed engines, which were used in 199 of 204 Escape Hybrid units.

Ford dealers were brought Escapes that had experienced engine failures. In the process of investigating those, that's when they traced the crankshafts in those engines back to this defective batch. Finding multiple defective crankshafts in one batch of parts/completed engines led them to recall a small number of Escapes to find and replace defective crankshafts.

In the process of investigating the engine failures and processing the earlier recall, Ford must have determined that there was an excessively high risk of engine failure leading to a fire. This doesn't mean that they suspect all of these 2.5L hybrid engines of being defective in any way. It doesn't mean they have reason to look for any defective crankshafts beyond that small batch previously identified. It means they found that if something were to break, such as but not only a crankshaft, leaking hot oil and/or fuel vapor could accumulate in the engine bay in sufficient concentrations for combustion. Being a hot engine, there are plenty of hot contact surfaces for the spilt oil/fuel vapor to come into contact with and ignite.

So, on the off chance that you should have any type of engine failure that causes oil and/or fuel vapor to be sprayed into the air in the engine bay, this recall (22S47) was issued for all vehicles built with the 2.5L hybrid engine (2020+ Escape, Corsair, Maverick).

The purpose of this recall is not that there is a specific defect in all 2020+ Escape, Corsair, Maverick Hybrid units. It's that parts can fail, whether due to manufacturing defect or wear. In order to reduce the risk of fire in the remote chance of engine failure, the recall provides 2 methods to dilute the concentration of fuel vapor and oil in the engine bay.

TL/DR: Ford recall 22S47 is a recall to address insufficient ventilation in the engine bay in case of engine failure. Not that they believe a specific defect is present in all 2.5L hybrid engines built to date that will leak fuel vapor or oil. That engine failure is a remote possibility in any engine, and that the engine bays are too well sealed. That allows the oil and fuel vapor to concentrate, which will ignite in the presence of a hot engine. The defect is the perceived lack of ventilation, resolved by providing ventilation through the bottom of the engine and through the removal of a small number of grill shutters.

Sponsored

Milton Jeff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2 DR Wrangler (Current)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:

Milton Jeff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2 DR Wrangler (Current)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
/ end thread....

Attachments

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whether other unexpected things can go wrong is irrelevant. It's a known issue, that Ford has acknowledged.
Yes, Ford acknowledged it AND Ford has done what was required by the
U.S. National Highway Traffic & Safety Administration whether you like it or not. Dealer did the recall, and I went on down the road.

I have had several vehicles that were recalled. What I thought about the recalls is irrelevant and all the complaining would have changed nothing. I spent my money on a different brand after my last Chevy recall. Maybe you should not buy a Ford as you next brand. It's really a good time to sell a Maverick.

Mag Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey guys pick up my hybrid tomorrow and it was built a week and a half after call date I will let you know if I have holes in the underneath of the pans and missing fins or not .like someone said time will tell??:unsure::rolleyes:
Hey guys just got home from picking up my Maverick.I asked my dealer about the recall on Fire 🔥 problem looked all thru my file nothing in it looked under the truck nothing could be seen same with the dampner could see no fins missing . Picked my truck up late so no mechanics there for us to ask questions to. Will call on Monday and see if I can talk to the shop manager about it and see if I can get any new information on it sorry I couldn't be of more help.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey guys just got home from picking up my Maverick.I asked my dealer about the recall on Fire 🔥 problem looked all thru my file nothing in it looked under the truck nothing could be seen same with the dampner could see no fins missing . Picked my truck up late so no mechanics there for us to ask questions to. Will call on Monday and see if I can talk to the shop manager about it and see if I can get any new information on it sorry I couldn't be of more help.
You could have a newly designed under engine cover that does not pool oil and allows for better air flow. You would need to take a picture and compare to a picture of the ones in the recall. Like in the youtube video.
Sponsored