First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
now....the Maverick hybrid is liquid cooled, vs the prius air cooled, right? thats the filter hes going on about, right?
Correct, the Maverick high voltage battery has no air filter like the Prius. All you need to do is make sure the coolant reservoir is at the correct level, just the same as the engine coolant reservoir. They are next to each other in the engine compartment.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like Ford stopped using filters for the air-cooled batteries sometime around the transition from the first to second gen Escape hybrid (2008).

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The instructions for storage are interesting.

First it tells you to start the engine every 15 days and run it for 15 minutes, etc.

Then it tells you -- for hybrids -- that if you are storing it for more than 30 days you should disconnect the 12V battery.

It's going to be hard to do both if you are out of town.
I believe the reason for disconnecting the 12v battery is to prevent draining the high voltage battery as it is used to trickle charge the 12volt battery. The 12v battery is used to close the contactors connecting the inverter/converter to the drive motor and the starter/generator. The starting current 3phase AC (from the HV battery through the inverter) is sent to the starter/generator in the configuration to cause it to start the ice. With the 12v battery disconnected the HV battery would last much longer in storage.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe the reason for disconnecting the 12v battery is to prevent draining the high voltage battery as it is used to trickle charge the 12volt battery. The 12v battery is used to close the contactors connecting the inverter/converter to the drive motor and the starter/generator. The starting current 3phase AC (from the HV battery through the inverter) is sent to the starter/generator in the configuration to cause it to start the ice. With the 12v battery disconnected the HV battery would last much longer in storage.
The HV to 12V convert is disabled when the key is off.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did I understand your comment correctly, that the hybrid maverick's gasoline engine is started solely from the 12V battery? I got the impression from that video posted elsewhere here showing a Prius drivetrain from Professor John D. Kelly (WeberAuto channel), that the same generator/alternator motor in the drivetrain that is used to charge the hybrid battery is also used to start the engine. But that video did not get into details of the different voltage systems, how the alternator also charged the 12V battery in parallel to the high voltage hybrid battery.

Engine starting from 12V would be nice in that it would keep the traditional "jump start" interface in place. That then begs the question of what happens if the hybrid battery was "terminally dead", whether the truck would run more or less normally 100% of the time off gasoline if there was never any high voltage available. With just a drop in gas mileage and acceleration.
The HV to 12V convert is disabled when the key is off.
I believe that the HV To 12v convert can be enabled subject to SOC of HV if needed. I further believe that turning the key on is notification to computer to get ready I want to go and turning it off is notification to shut things down (not necessarily instantaneously?? What if HV battery needs 10-15 degrees cooling when you turn key off). I guess we will find out when we get Mavs.

Sponsored

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe that the HV To 12v convert can be enabled subject to SOC of HV if needed. I further believe that turning the key on is notification to computer to get ready I want to go and turning it off is notification to shut things down (not necessarily instantaneously?? What if HV battery needs 10-15 degrees cooling when you turn key off). I guess we will find out when we get Mavs.
If so it would be different from all previous Ford Hybrids. One main reason is safety, the HV battery has deadly voltage. With the key off the HV is disconnected at the battery from all the high voltage wiring throughout the vehicle . Therefore there is minimal chance someone working on the vehicle could get shocked.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you completely missed the point of the post.

That point was that it would be hard to follow Ford's instructions for storage, which say:
(1) disconnect the battery if storing for more than 30 days, and also
(2) start the vehicle every 15 days.

See the problem? If not, don't worry about it.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The HV batt pack in the 2021 Venza is liquid cooled and has a air filter. There are two coolant tanks under the hood. I think that is because the Venza uses Lithium Ion Batteries. The current RAV4 Hybrid uses nickel metal hydride. The HV battery is not a concern item for me, it's all the other electronics, in this computer on wheels.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you completely missed the point of the post.

That point was that it would be hard to follow Ford's instructions for storage, which say:
(1) disconnect the battery if storing for more than 30 days, and also
(2) start the vehicle every 15 days.

See the problem? If not, don't worry about it.
Did not consider that a problem. Just another item on list for neighbor or other house checker to do when necessary on their every 3rd or 4th day visit while away from home. Not something for other neighbors kid that feeds chickens daily to do. Could just install quick disconnect on 12v battery and put that on list with water heater vacation setting. Just remembered also need to get anti varmint motion activated noise makers for both my new XLT's when they "appear". (Had frontier PU parked 2-3 days couple years ago had rats build nest under hood ate insulation off wiring harness, battery cables, plastic off fuse panel, etc. Required 4 weeks at Nissan as harness was on BO as they had 3 others with same $5800.00 problem). Developer cleaning nearby 80 acres for new subdivision.🚫💩!

botb70

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey
If I read things right we can start our mavericks from the fordpass app, and schedule starts. Probably only for ones with remote start, not sure if all trims have that.

Maybe if you are going to be away you could schedule it to start and run for like 10-15 min every few days?

Just thinking it may be a workaround.
Go Navy.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're going to leave the vehicle unused for a couple of months at a time on a regular basis, I would say a hybrid is not for you.
Nor is any vehicles with an internal combustion engine. Most of us have ethanol in our fuel, which reduces fuel shelf life. The lithium battery itself has a very low rate of discharge, but internal combustion engines don't like sitting for months unused.

Best would be to fork over the extra money for an EV.

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The HV batt pack in the 2021 Venza is liquid cooled and has a air filter. There are two coolant tanks under the hood. I think that is because the Venza uses Lithium Ion Batteries. The current RAV4 Hybrid uses nickel metal hydride. The HV battery is not a concern item for me, it's all the other electronics, in this computer on wheels.
Only the base trim LE RAV4 hybrid uses a nickel metal hydride battery. Higher trim levels use a lithium ion battery. Both are water and air cooled.

sbradford26

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If so it would be different from all previous Ford Hybrids. One main reason is safety, the HV battery has deadly voltage. With the key off the HV is disconnected at the battery from all the high voltage wiring throughout the vehicle . Therefore there is minimal chance someone working on the vehicle could get shocked.
I drive a Hyundai ioniq and they went a slightly different route with that car. They use a 12v lithium ion battery instead of a standard leaf acid. It is packaged along with the HV battery. The 12v battery can die if lights or something else drains the battery and if that happens you hit the "12v Battery Reset button" which temporarily uses the HV battery to charge the 12v battery which allows the car to start.

The result of this is that the car cannot be jump started by another car and cannot jump start another car. So I will finally have to get my jumper cables back out when I get my Maverick hybrid.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive a Hyundai ioniq and they went a slightly different route with that car. They use a 12v lithium ion battery instead of a standard leaf acid. It is packaged along with the HV battery. The 12v battery can die if lights or something else drains the battery and if that happens you hit the "12v Battery Reset button" which temporarily uses the HV battery to charge the 12v battery which allows the car to start.

The result of this is that the car cannot be jump started by another car and cannot jump start another car. So I will finally have to get my jumper cables back out when I get my Maverick hybrid.
Early Ford Escape hybrids had this feature also even though they had a standard lead acid 12v battery. So you could still use jumper cables if you wanted. Seems they could not justify the extra cost since they dropped the 12V jump from HV battery feature around 2009.

Steelie Van

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 XL Hyb in transit, ‘91 Comanche, “91 Cherokee,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Glad to here it. I tell people that my C-Max has been the best car I have owned in 45 years. Still getting 40 mpg in the spring (mileage very dependent here in the Sothern California desert, drops in the summer, rises in the spring) have mixed feelings about trading for the Maverick.
As a CMax owner, how is the turning radius of Mav compare to your CMax. Our 2013 CMax energi had a horrible turning radius, one of the reasons we let that car go… I realize Mav is longer wheelbase, but any impressions?
Sponsored