clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the response that this is not rocket science. I should have explained the difference between my terms of fill up and top off. You can make your own call on what constitutes your fill up ie 1 click, 2 clicks whatever you choose. All pumps are different when they kick off. How fast you fill affects the kick off. My terms fill up and top off is fill till it kicks off then top it off until it will take no more gas period. This a real pain but is how you get the most absolute values. Some have said the owner's manual advices against this but that is a different subject matter. Been doing it for 40 years and has never been an issue. I never claimed 48 mpg. What I failed to mention is that when I topped the tank off at 800 miles it took 17.09 gallons. This equates to the 46.81 mpg on this tank of gas.
I find that 17 gallons impossible. I was 10 miles to empty and I filled up 14 gallons first click. You shouldn’t fill past first click in the hybrid it’s. pressurized tank. So anyway if you choose to overfill to the gills are there really 2+ gallons of space to fill above the normal tank level?
Sponsored

OP
OP

OARWHAT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22Mav, 06Lucerne,93Ranger,70Mach1,V Strom,Majesty,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't say this is impossible if you have never topped off your tank. Take your dispute to the Alabama weights and measures that certifies the states gas pumps. Your understanding deficit is revealed in the "hybrids pressurized tank". Virtually all motor vehicles in the last 30 years or more have pressurized tanks hybrid or not.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Virtually all motor vehicles in the last 30 years or more have pressurized tanks hybrid or not.

No. I think you should verify your information before trying to call out another member for lack of understanding. Most car fuel tanks are not pressurized.

The hybrid's fuel tank is pressurized and that is why it may not open the fuel filler door until it is depressurized.

Stop overfilling your tank. Bottom line. It's pointless and specifically against recommendations.

Last edited:

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't say this is impossible if you have never topped off your tank. Take your dispute to the Alabama weights and measures that certifies the states gas pumps. Your understanding deficit is revealed in the "hybrids pressurized tank". Virtually all motor vehicles in the last 30 years or more have pressurized tanks hybrid or not.

EDIT: Hybrid-Specific: I'm not gonna lie, I don't know much at all about vehicles, but I'm just referencing the manual, and it seems to be very clear about not overfilling the tank. I know manuals can err on the side of caution for a lot of issues, but I don't see the benefit of choosing to overfill the tank unless you specifically need to drive extra miles on one tank for some strange emergency or something.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...d=8431&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

Ford Maverick HYBRID 2.5 MILEAGE......800 MILE TANK {filename}
WARNING: Stop refueling when the fuel pump nozzle automatically shuts off for the first time. Failure to follow this will fill the expansion space in the fuel tank and could lead to fuel overflowing.
WARNING: Do not overfill the fuel tank. The pressure in an overfilled tank may cause leakage and lead to fuel spray and fire.
WARNING: Wait at least five seconds before removing the fuel pump nozzle to allow any residual fuel to drain into the fuel tank.

Last edited:

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I am logging my first tank, trying to do 700m. I am at 53mpg, over 640m on tank, still have 93miles till empty says computer. I thought the tank only holds ~13.5gal? I am confused. I am going to carry an extra fuel can(in case I run out).

I only have 1 bar on fuel gauge(lariat gauges). I will post an up date once I break 700mpt. And will post how much fuel I can get in the tank. Thanks for the alert on overfilling the tank. I will proceed with caution.

I am getting about 65%-70% electric miles of total miles, I am learning still how to force electric mode and staying clear of hybrid mode.

Another thing I am going to revisit is oil change interval. This engine is not a drive engine(so to say), but operates as a generator mode, when it does come on it just goes to a very mild fast idle. In this mode, it will run forever and oil should last a long interval.

If I could sum up truck in one word it would be..refined...

Sponsored

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's hard to get fuel mpg from just one tank. Need to have multiple fillups to get a good average. Fuel quality varies from brand to brand and location to location. Elevations (sea level to places like Denver) road bed conditions, weather, speed and drivers all contribute. Do manual calculations for each fillup. There was a thread on here about resetting the MPG gauge to your calculated average using Forscan This way it won't make a difference in how full you fill the tank.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok..I just filled up and am a member of the 700m club. I went 711m and had 23m to empty..Didn't feel like testing this until another time. I filled up, hose clicked off at 13.5gal. Then I put in another .5g to 14 gal even.

So numbers are 51mpg at 14gal or 53mpg at first click off, which is where I filled it to previous tank 13.5gal.

I am electric miles to total miles about 65%-70%. This is what is key to fuel economy on these hybrids. If at all possible let go pedal go and repush to enter electric mode, then run it as far as possible in electric mode.

I am going to see if I can hit that majic 800mpt, I think I have a good chance with 53mpg and getting 14gal in tank. I may even try to put in more and see how much it will hold, 17gal? I don't know, however I can't rule it out at this point. Dang, if it can be done, then 900mpt? Wow!! In order to get 800mpt w/14gal. I still would have to bump mileage to 57mpg. I am getting better at driving hybrid.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oarwhat..ok I didn't understand..you are saying that you put 17gals. In a Maverick, cause I would love to know. I just filled mine, it clicked off at 13.5gal. Then I put another .5gal. In. So I put in 14gals. Seemed like I could have put more in it. But I got cold feet and stopped at 14g.

I have some friends that overfilled a Subaru and it set codes, dealer couldn't fix it, friend walked away from it. I have heard of overfilling trashing vapor recovery/canister systems, never happened to me though and I fill mine very full.

If you say you forced 17 gals. In and it didn't trash the evap system then that is important to me, to have another usable 3 gallons is huge! Please tell me so.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oarwhat, you were right, we can put more then 13.5 gals. I put 14.5g and got chicken and stopped. All is fine so far.

Sponsored

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You should not do this with a Hybrid!
The fuel tank is under pressure, and you could actually destroy your vehicle from fire. Check the owner's manual, there is a warning about topping off the fuel tank on a hybrid model!

On Page 176 of the (PDF) 2022 Maverick Owner's Manual:

âš  WARNING: Stop refueling when the fuel pump nozzle automatically shuts off for the first time. Failure to follow this will fill the expansion space in the fuel tank and could lead to fuel overflowing.​
âš  WARNING: Do not overfill the fuel tank. The pressure in an overfilled tank may cause leakage and lead to fuel spray and fire.​
Topping off is foolish on any modern vehicle. Why? Because of the EVAP emission system. A topped off tank, which means over filled, can get fuel into the emissions EVAP system and it trashes it. That sets off all kinds of alarms/codes/lights, including that extra special light telling you that you get to spend a couple of $$$ grand.
Do Not Top Off Fuel Tanks on Modern Cars!

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just like all modern cars in last 30 years have evap emission systems that are very expensive to replace. Topping off a tank meaning over filling a tank is begging to spend a couple of grand replacing the EVAP emission system. And when you trash the EVAP emission system, it throws all kinds of codes and lights and you will not get that vehicle through emissions testing.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So
So all the different pump manufactures all kick off @ the same level.......talk about uncontrolled variation.......when the tank is filled and will not take another drop on a constant basis there is no variation other than temp, driving habits, terrain, traffic conditions.....all my 800 miles where driven by me under same local conditions, what would you suggest for most accurate numbers?
So did you put 4 jacks under the maybe and get it perfectly level to insure the same amount of fuel was in the tank at each refill. Also did you fill a volumetric measurement container to allow corrections in pumps reported gallons pumped at each fill-up. Are temperature corrections needed?

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am still not as comfortable about the fill up capacities, the highway use of E mode, and the drain effect of the AC- especially at 110° we are seeing here in Texas.

I am still thinking there is more mpg left in mine, and with cool down coming up soon? I am anxious to see, i also have the first oil change coming up, hopefully ICE breakin and synthetic oil will net me more as well.

I am at ~8500m and checked my oil life, it showed i had 55% left, dang 16000m+, wow! I have been saying my ICE doesnt run but 30% of time and i try to keep it at constant speed, which are key points in achieving maximum fuel economy as well as maximum oil life.
Sponsored