Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
On our Maverick screen ?
I found one video that talked about using Apple car play, which our phones are not Apple iPhones.
But do we need to connect our phone by a USB cable ? That would be a problem, as our cables are not data cables, but for power only (magnetic... and the greatest thing since sliced bread.... unless you need to transfer data)
Anyone using Google maps (mirroring) on there Maverick screen ?
Sponsored

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

On our Maverick screen ?
I found one video that talked about using Apple car play, which our phones are not Apple iPhones.
But do we need to connect our phone by a USB cable ? That would be a problem, as our cables are not data cables, but for power only (magnetic... and the greatest thing since sliced bread.... unless you need to transfer data)
I drive a XLT 2.0 EB truck. I have a Pixel 5a (android phone) and use android auto. I have a cable that goes from USB C to USB C that I plug in. I like using WAZE but I have tried Google Maps and it works fine. You do have to plug into the USB port to get Android Auto to work though.

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive a XLT 2.0 EB truck. I have a Pixel 5a (android phone) and use android auto. I have a cable that goes from USB C to USB C that I plug in. I like using WAZE but I have tried Google Maps and it works fine. You do have to plug into the USB port to get Android Auto to work though.
Any Android Auto Wireless users out there with Mav???

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On our Maverick screen ?
If you're using an Android phone, unless it's extremely old, Android Auto is a native app on the device (there won't be an icon) just plug the phone in and follow the prompts to allow access.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But do we need to connect our phone by a USB cable ? That would be a problem, as our cables are not data cables, but for power only
Not a big problem, though. You can get cables on Amazon for $5-$10 easily. Or almost anywhere, actually.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're using an Android phone, unless it's extremely old, Android Auto is a native app on the device (there won't be an icon) just plug the phone in and follow the prompts to allow access.
The Android version needs to be Android 10 or above for it to be native.

My Motorola G7 has Android 10. All I had to do was "unlock the phone" and connect with a USB cable and follow the prompts to activate it.

I like how I can just hit the "voice control button" on the steering wheel and say commands like:

"drive home"
"drive to <name an address>"
"drive to nearest wendys"

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Not a big problem, though. You can get cables on Amazon for $5-$10 easily. Or almost anywhere, actually.
No, actually for us, it is a problem. We use magnetic connect cables... Which again, are fantastic. Makes anything that uses a USB cable, almost as easy as wireless, and one cable can work with any kind of plug... USB type 2, type 3, or apple (different magnet inserts, that stay in your device... Not just phones, but anything that uses USB) Granted, we never had a need to transfer data through the USB cable ☹
Not to mention, about 90% of the time we are in our cars, we are using that time to charge our phones. I assume it won't let you transfer data, and charge your phone too ?

Yes, the magnetic inserts can be removed... But they are really tight, as they are not expected to be taken in and out. That would defeat the whole purpose of using them.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, actually for us, it is a problem. We use magnetic connect [charge only] cables... Which again, are fantastic.
Not to mention, about 90% of the time we are in our cars, we are using that time to charge our phones. I assume it won't let you transfer data, and charge your phone too ?
Some magnetic connect cables do both charging and data transfer. I don't know if the charge rates (and data rates) would be sufficient for your needs, but they might. Some reviewers say they work with Android Auto, some say they don't. See these on Amazon, for example:

Amazon.com: A.S Magnetic USB Cable, Magnetic USB C Charging Cable, 3A Fast Charging Data Sync Magnetic Cable, Magnetic Phone Charger Compatible with Micro USB, Type C Smartphones(3.3ft+3.3ft+6.6ft+6.6ft,Black) : Electronics

Amazon.com: NetDot Magnetic Charging Cable, Gen10 Nylon Braided 2-in-1Magnetic Phone Charger Compatible with USB-C and Micro USB Devices and Phones(5ft/3 Pack red) : Cell Phones & Accessories

As for using a regular cable... I think most USB data ports in cars charge the phone at the same time as they transfer data, but I've heard complaints that they charge slowly. Apparently some will keep up with the drain on the phone (so you don't really discharge) and some won't (so you lose charge slowly while your phone is connected and operating).

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Some magnetic connect cables do both charging and data transfer. I don't know if the charge rates (and data rates) would be sufficient for your needs, but they might. Some reviewers say they work with Android Auto, some say they don't. See these on Amazon, for example:

Amazon.com: A.S Magnetic USB Cable, Magnetic USB C Charging Cable, 3A Fast Charging Data Sync Magnetic Cable, Magnetic Phone Charger Compatible with Micro USB, Type C Smartphones(3.3ft+3.3ft+6.6ft+6.6ft,Black) : Electronics

Amazon.com: NetDot Magnetic Charging Cable, Gen10 Nylon Braided 2-in-1Magnetic Phone Charger Compatible with USB-C and Micro USB Devices and Phones(5ft/3 Pack red) : Cell Phones & Accessories

As for using a regular cable... I think most USB data ports in cars charge the phone at the same time as they transfer data, but I've heard complaints that they charge slowly. Apparently some will keep up with the drain on the phone (so you don't really discharge) and some won't (so you lose charge slowly while your phone is connected and operating).
Yea..... But I have bought 3 sets of 6 cords (18 cords) , and each set had 12 plugs (36 plugs) for like $75. If we changed 1 cord and 1 plug, we might as well change ALL of them, since they are not interchangeable and it would just defeat the point of ultimate ease and compatibility ☹

TBH, I think I will just fabricate some sort of a nice solid phone holder right in front of the cubby hole. If it were my truck, I think I'd put a mini tablet, or phablet right their, and leave it in the center console when I wasn't using it. Don't know what my GF would prefer.... But she agreed that changing out all the cords, and still maybe not being able to charge her phone was probably not worth the hassle.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea..... But I have bought 3 sets of 6 cords (18 cords) , and each set had 12 plugs (36 plugs) for like $75. If we changed 1 cord and 1 plug, we might as well change ALL of them, since they are not interchangeable and it would just defeat the point of ultimate ease and compatibility
Yeah... Sounds like you are heavily invested in the "no-data" technology. It's hard for me to imagine needing 18 cords and 36 plugs, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

I like the idea of the magnetic power/data connectors and may give it a try when I get my truck (probably late January or early February). If it works for me it will be simpler to implement as my phone charges on an induction pad in the house and I never plug it in anywhere else (except the car). So I would only need one or two cords and I'd be done.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

To use android auto and google maps in my VW, I have been using a magnetic charging/data cable since Oct. It very quick and easy to connect your phone and saves wear and tear on the data port on your phone.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To use android auto and google maps in my VW, I have been using a magnetic charging/data cable since Oct. It very quick and easy to connect your phone and saves wear and tear on the data port on your phone.
Criss... Do you have a brand/model/source for the magnetic cables/plugs that do both power and data? I suspect vendors may indicate both functions, but may be touting a feature their product may not have.
Knowing one brand at least that for sure does both would be nice.
thanks
tom

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Criss... Do you have a brand/model/source for the magnetic cables/plugs that do both power and data? I suspect vendors may indicate both functions, but may be touting a feature their product may not have.
Knowing one brand at least that for sure does both would be nice.
thanks
tom

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Google aawireless. Costs $100 and it'll be at least several months before it would ship, but it should solve your problems
Sponsored