Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

https://9to5google.com/2023/07/17/android-auto-google-maps-exit-navigation-bug/

Recent updates to Android Auto and Google Maps are leaving the navigation app open when you leave the car, which is an annoying little bug.

Android Auto just saw its 10.0 release last week, and in the days following a new bug has popped up. As always, Android Auto launches Google Maps when your phone is connected, whether that’s wired or wireless, and you can run navigation from the infotainment display. But, since the most recent updates, many have noticed that Google Maps will continue running, even once you’ve left the car.

The issue leaves a Google Maps notification ongoing on your Android phone with your navigation status. This persists even after the Android Auto session in your car has ended, and continues until you hit the “exit navigation” option.

Personally, I’ve been seeing this for almost a week on Google Pixel Fold running on Android Auto v10.0, as well as Google Maps v11.88. Several on Reddit have also noted the same problem with various Samsung and Pixel phones, and it seems to be happening both wired and using wireless adapters like Motorola MA1 or AAWireless.

This isn’t really a major issue, as hitting “exit navigation” patches things up, but it’s still something we hope to see fixed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DZNYFAN4778

DZNYFAN4778

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don’t know if this will impact battery life or anything else.

Akunz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick,Passat TDI, Pacifica
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've had the same issue on my galaxy s21 ultra. I'm using the aawireless adapter. I thought that might be the issue. When I exit the truck, i click the notification on my phone and exit navigation.

ejouie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick, Atlas Blue, FWD, EcoBoost, XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've been noticing that on my Pixel 6 Pro. Not too much of an issue until I am inside the plant. The phone has to work a lot harder to get a GPS signal which then start eating battery quickly. Just depends on the day and whether I can remember to manually shut it off.

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't see that with my Galaxy S22+. Are you actively using the turn by turn when this happens or just the map screen? I usually stop the turn by turn directions when I'm close enough to know the rest of the way or when I arrive.

Sponsored

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After 25 years in I.T. I've learned to avoid updating to newer versions of software.

TCPTX65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Buick Enclave
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It must only affect Google Maps. I use Waze and haven't noticed it happening.

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I noticed the same- didn't occur to me it was an update I just thought it was funny my Pixel 6 did that a couple times. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored