First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMO, a $1K non-refundable deposit separates the buyers from the shoppers. If it was $100, you'd have guys placing orders at multiple dealerships, then playing them against each other with trade-in values when the truck shows up. (5) $100 deposits means 4 dealers get stuck with a truck that might have an unusual build combination.

HRG
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMO, a $1K non-refundable deposit separates the buyers from the shoppers. If it was $100, you'd have guys placing orders at multiple dealerships, then playing them against each other with trade-in values when the truck shows up. (5) $100 deposits means 4 dealers get stuck with a truck that might have an unusual build combination.

HRG
That is a great point. I didn't really like the $1k deposit, but there is next to zero percent chance I wouldn't take the truck, and an likely just going to sell my ranger to carvana anyway.

The way I figure it is this. Their entire internet model is built on good faith both ways. If a couple people need to back out, and they don't actually refund the deposit, that would end their online business model very quickly.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
The large window makes me wonder how long that last person in line is going to wait for delivery from a dealer that is taking 100s if not 1000s of orders?
The large line has nothing to do with which dealership you buy from. They're going to get built and delivered in the order that makes the most sense based on part availability and the volumes of identical builds. If anything, ordering from a high volume dealership should speedup your delivery, as they'll be getting more frequent delivery trucks.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler

HRG
Ummm, I never thought of that. Makes sense to me. (y)

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The large line has nothing to do with which dealership you buy from. They're going to get built and delivered in the order that makes the most sense based on part availability and the volumes of identical builds. If anything, ordering from a high volume dealership should speedup your delivery, as they'll be getting more frequent delivery trucks.
Ford tried that "get in line by the date/time stamp of your reservation for your new Bronco". That hasn't worked out well for them at all.....:)

Sponsored

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
Ummm, I never thought of that. Makes sense to me. (y)
Yeah, but on a new model that no one has seen (in person) or driven, it should be a refundable deposit. Not so you can buy it from other dealers, but so that your can choose to not buy it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The $1000 deposit didn't concern me. The people at Granger are excellent to work with. Purchased my last truck from them back when I lived in Des Moines.

I too, noticed that Granger was not doing this kind of deposit regarding the Broncos. My guess is the $1,000 deposit on the Maverick is to help ensure that they are placing legitimate orders for people and avoiding some of the craziness that is continuing to go on with the Bronco orders.
I reserved my Bronco with Granger. I wouldn't blame them at all if they changed their deposit request with the way this Bronco fiasco has unfolded. Of course none of this debacle is Grangers fault. They just have to deal with the fallout.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but on a new model that no one has seen (in person) or driven, it should be a refundable deposit. Not so you can buy it from other dealers, but so that your can choose to not buy it if it doesn't meet your expectations.
I don't disagree with you at all either. There's doesn't seem to be a good answer on how to handle reservations. The reservations for the Bronco has became FUBARed with all the supplier issues along with some issues within Ford itself. It appears the first test drive I'll get in a Bronco is when I take mine off the lot. But, that's my choice as I see no other way to get one unless I wait until 2023.

BTW, Granger wound up with 1000+ Bronco orders to spread across a 3 person team. They lost the head man Albert (may he RIP) last week. It's going to be tough for the two left to get a job that will span from now until mid/late summer of next year completed. That's approx. 83 Broncos a month if they are spread out equally over 12 months, which we know they won't. But, I'm have confidence they can handle it smoothly.

Last edited:

Nightman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I would guess if you ended up not taking the truck and needed to refund the deposit they would do it anyway otherwise like others have said their online reputation would tank. Using the non-refundable part as more of a deterrent.

I do see their perspective as a small town dealer and not wanting a bunch inventory left from tire kickers that weren't serious, but $1k non-refundable seems steep if they stick to it.

I would think if worse came to worst and you had a good reason you weren't going to take the truck and they wouldn't refund you could maybe discuss disputing the charge with your CC company.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I would guess if you ended up not taking the truck and needed to refund the deposit they would do it anyway otherwise like others have said their online reputation would tank. Using the non-refundable part as more of a deterrent.

I do see their perspective as a small town dealer and not wanting a bunch inventory left from tire kickers that weren't serious, but $1k non-refundable seems steep if they stick to it.

I would think if worse came to worst and you had a good reason you weren't going to take the truck and they wouldn't refund you could maybe discuss disputing the charge with your CC company.
To me, it would be much more reasonable to say it's 75% refundable. That way, everybody has skin in the game, but not more than reasonable.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I thought about the CC dispute avenue as well - I seriously doubt that on the off chance someone truly needed to back out for honest reasons, that they wouldn't refund it - there would be nothing but downside for them. As was said above, there is no truly perfect way to approach pre-ordering something as expensive as a vehicle.

To be honest, even if I ended up not wanting it I'd probably still take it, drive it back to MN and sell it. I'd bet any dealer would pay a good penny to get a used, 500 mile brand new truck to sell on their lot up here at a few grand above sticker.

Reactions: JJC
OP
OP

vengo97

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought about the CC dispute avenue as well - I seriously doubt that on the off chance someone truly needed to back out for honest reasons, that they wouldn't refund it - there would be nothing but downside for them. As was said above, there is no truly perfect way to approach pre-ordering something as expensive as a vehicle.

To be honest, even if I ended up not wanting it I'd probably still take it, drive it back to MN and sell it. I'd bet any dealer would pay a good penny to get a used, 500 mile brand new truck to sell on their lot up here at a few grand above sticker.
As soon as you drive it off the lot you'll lose a lot more than $1000 in depreciation value though

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As soon as you drive it off the lot you'll lose a lot more than $1000 in depreciation value though
Probably right, but maybe not in this market. Right now my ranger is worth 10% more than I paid for it in December 2019 if I sell to carvana. Anyway moot point, I'll definitely be driving it home!

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
A deposit is a deposit. You want it back? What else do you want for free?

OP
OP

vengo97

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A deposit is a deposit. You want it back? What else do you want for free?
How is that wanting something for free? It's a huge leap of faith plunking down a grand on a truck that I've never seen in person, that we have no idea how long it will take to be manufactured (Just look at the Bronco delays), and with no guarantee that in the mean time the interest rates will skyrocket making the monthly payments unaffordable. You're paying $1000 for a spot in line to be one of the first to get a new truck that will/should eventually be able to buy off the lot with nothing down. I'm okay with a deposit, but I don't really want to be handcuffed into making a purchase God know how long in the future. Lets just pretend these delays actually extend for months and months and months, parts become scarce, should I not be able to get my $1k back to go pick out something else? Non-refundable is a very dangerous term, unless you don't care about the money at all.
Sponsored