FORD Requiring Non-refundable Deposits?

Drummer343

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Just wondering if anyone can confirm if Ford is now requiring a non-refundable deposit to order, or if my dealership is lying to me.

Seems everywhere I look, people are able to order without a deposit, or with refundable deposits.

I don't mind paying a deposit, I just want to determine how honest these guys are being.
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LYING.....................

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just wondering if anyone can confirm if Ford is now requiring a non-refundable deposit to order, or if my dealership is lying to me.

Seems everywhere I look, people are able to order without a deposit, or with refundable deposits.

I don't mind paying a deposit, I just want to determine how honest these guys are being.
Its all over the board. I think it is dealer specific not Ford required.

OP
OP

Drummer343

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Their story is that Ford hasn't been requiring deposits, but recently told all dealers they would require deposit for all future orders because "Dealers were faking customer orders to get stock onto the lot faster".

I know plenty of people have had no deposit orders. Just hoping someone has some recent info. Want to place my order ASAP, bit obviously want to choose a different dealer if these guys are out right lying to me.

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not Ford, it's the dealer. Find a different (better) dealer.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would not order from any place that required a non-refundable deposit. It's not like this truck will be a difficult sale if I can't take delivery when the time comes. I ended up ordering with Ed from Chapman for 4% under invoice, no deposit required. This was like 3 days ago.

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Their story is that Ford hasn't been requiring deposits, but recently told all dealers they would require deposit for all future orders because "Dealers were faking customer orders to get stock onto the lot faster".
This is why Ford changed the order model to not only enter the order in WBDO, but also ROVP with a photo ID and a copy of the order (I would push for a completed and signed purchase agreement with the FINAL/TOTAL price no matter where you go - this prevents surprise ADMs when it arrives and is valid for ROVP verification of your order) . But there is no requirement from Ford that the deposit be non-refundable. There isn't even a requirement from Ford on a deposit at all. Any 'requirements' are dealership discretion and with how many are hurting, they will insist its required but won't take it if it's over a few hundred bucks and claim its non-refundable then hit you with a ridiculous ADM when your vehicle arrives. This way, at a minimum they keep your deposit if you walk, or at best get it AND the insane markup later, too.

Like others said: Find a more respectable dealer.

OP
OP

Drummer343

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Thanks for all the quick feedback! I'm fine with a deposit, mostly interested in avoiding a dealer that is showing unsavory practices before I've even ordered. Seemed like a huge red flag to me.

OP
OP

Drummer343

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Thanks to your feedback, I sought out a better dealer. Ordered my truck yesterday. No deposit AND I left with a signed paper listing the MSRP, tax, doc and registration fee and ZERO B.S. dealer scam fees.

Turns out good dealers do exist. Thanks for helping me avoid a bad one.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealer's standard form calls the deposit a "non-refundable order fee" that will be converted to a down payment upon purchase.

That sounds bad, but when I told them I wouldn't do it for a truck no one had ever seen, they didn't buck at all. We just altered the form and went forward with a "refundable deposit" deal.

In their defense, not all vehicles that get ordered have been as easy for the dealer to sell on as the Maverick seems to be. It's a pretty small dealership and they don't want to get tied up with something that is hard to move off the lot.
Sponsored