Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Fusion, 2001 Ranger, Ford F53
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi Trailmaster,
The cover came on the skid plate. It's nice because it just unclips and you slide it off.
Sponsored

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Updated with photos of skid plates that need removal for an oil change - posted by @thunaman (link to post)

Ok Gents, I have taken delivery of my FX4 Maverick today, I can confirm you will need to remove a panel that runs the full width of the truck, and about 6-8” “deep” from the bumper to the main skid plate. The rest of the skid plate is a single piece that covers the rest of the engine bay -- see photos below.
As you can see there is a large panel on the front you need to remove to get to the filter. and a small plastic air scoop (transmission cooling?) in the middle you need to remove to get to the drain plug
All in it took me about 10 min to remove, take pix and replace.

082a1781-cb7d-4833-b1e0-b40e5408839d-jpeg.jpg

Original post:

I like to do my own oil changes when I can. Now that I see the FX4 skid plate under the front/engine, how much of a PITA is it going to be to get at the drain plug and filter? Surely FORD would think to add an access panel, but I don't see one in the pics I've viewed. I even cut a hole in the plastic skid plate on my Mazda for quick oil filter access. I only see one skid-plate with the FX4.

Thoughts?
Wow! Two different drives and probably different threads too, probably intentional....but dumb!

Thanks for the foto's!

Swede

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 19 Subaru Outback, 01 Saab 9-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's the ValvoMax for my FX4. I cut the skid plate a little which you can see outlined with white paint.

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG
I put one of those our Outback, so far so good.

Erwin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did my own at 7.5k. Two jackstands, piece of cake. ! 1/2 hours from tools out to put away and sipping a beer on the front porch.

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with AWD, Tow Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A good video has already been done for changing oil on FX4 with skid plate, pasting the link below. Others have mentioned making an access panel so you don't have to remove the skid plate. I intended to do that but the location of both oil drain plug and filter are such that it's not practical, so you'll have to remove the skid plate. It helps save time and effort to use an impact driver, altho the first time you do it you'll have to break loose the six (6) 13 mm bolts that are Loctited in from the factory (nobody knows why), with a socket wrench and possibly an extension. Here's the basic procedure:
  1. Drive onto ramps and put in park.
  2. Remove front (4) T-27 screws with impact driver.
  3. Then remove (6) 13 mm bolts (socket wrench or impact driver).
  4. Change oil as normal.
  5. When finished oil the bolts so they'll be easy next time with just an impact driver.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I put one of those our Outback, so far so good.
Looks great, also looks like you didnt need to cut anything. The plastic air scoop on yours does it just snap in from underneath? The one on my 4K snaps in on both sides of the fiberboard.
Sponsored