Rickydragon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Eco AWD Lux Pack 4K Tow Shadow Black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you have good snow tires front wheel drive is fine. I live in Barrie ON and we get a ton of snow. I have had front wheel drive for the last 15 years and been fine. You get way less then us. Biggest thing BUY GOOD SNOW TIRES

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A recent tire/drivetrain snow driving comparison bears this out.
Love his videos. That was a great one. Really is amazing how much quicker off the line the awd is even with a/s. I wish he would have thrown the winters on the awd and vice versa to get that benchmark too. But it's important to note that the fwd car with winterss had shorter stopping distances on both snow and ice. Even though the awd could hold a line a tiny bit better out of a corner with more power, the turn in and stability was better with the winters. In real world driving I think that's more important since no one is racing in bad conditions. The biggest lesson is still to just drive sensibly in bad conditions. Dont put yourself in positions where you are panicking to accelerate with fwd and dont be overconfident with awd. And take turns slowly and smoothly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
leap3535

leap3535

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks everyone! I really hope this helps other northerners to choose if they need AWD or not too

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A recent tire/drivetrain snow driving comparison bears this out.
Interesting, thank you for sharing. I wonder if the lack of weight over the bed of the Maverick will make a difference. 🤔

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a XLT Hybrid so I will be getting FWD. I'm concerned about how it will do in the snow. I live in Rochester, NY.
Some background- I currently drive a Jeep Renegade 4x4 and luckily we haven't had much snow last winter but in 2WD I was sliding and In 4WD I was sliding. I didn't have snow tires. Previously I lived in Buffalo, NY and I had a Honda Element AWD without snow tired and that thing was a TANK in snow. I could drive through a foot of fresh snow easy and I never got stuck. Before that I drove a Toyota Camry FWD without snow tires in the North Country of NY (so mountains, back roads, local guys with trucks would plow the roads because the town couldn't) and I slid all over, fish tailed, the whole thing.
Would any snow people with more driving experience (I'm 25) give me their thoughts on the FWD Maverick in the snow? Based on my research AWD helps best with starting/getting traction and going up hills but snow tired are what actually help with sliding and driving.
I've had both awd & fwd winter tires makes the difference. My Subaru would get you moving but didn't stop or corner any better. My current Escape is fwd with winter tires & it handles like it's summer. I suppose awd with winter tires is the best you will be fine if you put winter tires on. If you hatechanging tires put a set of Michelin cross climate 2 on

Wilky4258

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Dodge Challenger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AWD>FWD>RWD in snow.

I sure some one will reply with I had x car that was fwd or rwd and drove in 3 feet of snow up a mountain.

But let’s be real, awd is the ticket for bad weather and loss of traction. And of course a true 4wd would Trump them all.

With that being said you can get around pretty good in a fwd with dedicated snow tires, just don’t expect the traction you had in your awd.
I believe that AWD would Trump them all as well

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let's be fair. Benson tests tires, so he pitted one of the best snow tires from his snow tire test, against one of the best all-weather, snow-rated tires from his "all-season/all-weather" test.

He's done lots of combinations of tires, snow and FWD/AWD/RWD.
ah i see. I didn't realize the "all seasons" were winter rated. Def makes it a little closer than it would be with cheap non-3pms a/s.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you have good snow tires front wheel drive is fine. I live in Barrie ON and we get a ton of snow. I have had front wheel drive for the last 15 years and been fine. You get way less then us. Biggest thing BUY GOOD SNOW TIRES
You do get more but you also have better resources and manpower to clear the snow. Not to mention the slush, sleet, and freezing rain that we get. I’ll take my AWD over your FWD every time. Everybody has their thoughts and opinions ours just differ in this case. I am more than happy to pay the extra and have. I love my Maverick and wouldn’t change a thing.

Ford Maverick FWD vs AWD in Snow? DB9E7B07-F393-4BCC-A153-7DD412670D15

Sponsored

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You do get more but you also have better resources and manpower to clear the snow. Not to mention the slush, sleet, and freezing rain that we get. I’ll take my AWD over your FWD every time. Everybody has their thoughts and opinions ours just differ in this case. I am more than happy to pay the extra and have. I love my Maverick and wouldn’t change a thing.

DB9E7B07-F393-4BCC-A153-7DD412670D15.jpeg
damn that alto blue is pretty when it's clean and in the sun.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

damn that alto blue is pretty when it's clean and in the sun.
It is, thanks. I am loving my Maverick
Just added the tailgate letters

Ford Maverick FWD vs AWD in Snow? 756E0D79-79AF-4839-AB32-0B4BAD472A9F

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've lived in Wisconsin all my life and the Maverick will be the 10th vehicle I've owned. Out of the 9, 5 were rear wheel drive, 3 were 4x4s, and 1 was front wheel drive(Ford probe GT). The only vehicle I did $4,000 damage to in the winter. I have a better record driving rear wheel vehicles. When the back end slides out let off the gas and the rear tires should come right back in the line. The Maverick will be my first all-wheel drive so we will see how that goes. No more front wheel drive for me.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've lived in Wisconsin all my life and the Maverick will be the 10th vehicle I've owned. Out of the 9, 5 were rear wheel drive, 3 were 4x4s, and 1 was front wheel drive(Ford probe GT). The only vehicle I did $4,000 damage to in the winter. I have a better record driving rear wheel vehicles. When the back end slides out let off the gas and the rear tires should come right back in the line. The Maverick will be my first all-wheel drive so we will see how that goes. No more front wheel drive for me.
I'm unironically saying you must be an expert driver. Would absolutely not recommend a rwd vehicle in WI winters without snow tires for anyone who isnt. Def not something i want to deal with either

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is, thanks. I am loving my Maverick
Just added the tailgate letters

756E0D79-79AF-4839-AB32-0B4BAD472A9F.jpeg

Please break out the hair dryer and remove that dealer emblem. It completely takes away from the nice look of your tailgate unless they are paying YOU to advertise for them.
Sponsored