Sponsored

Fully Electric Maverick EV hint dropped by Ford??

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why do you say Ford doesn't know its sales Demographics? Have you looked at the Marketing photos? They were looking for the young active crowd, Honda did this with the Element, however, another demographic that came along was the active older (boomers). Ford knows what they are doing with this truck. Look at the age demographic of this forum, it's a good sample to go by.

In regards to sales, Ford has over 100K orders for the truck already, and the Hybrid is outselling the EB. The data is there and I'm very sure Ford has plans for a PHEV (they have an escape) and a full EV version too.

I'm betting in 3 years you will see a PHEV of the maverick. There is a market for it.
Ford is targeting new audiences they want to pull in that never considered a truck before and 1 of those in the younger urban crowd as seen in commercials. They also know there is a very significant demand for a smaller compact truck like the old Ranger, as well as older Boomers who don't want or need a larger truck like F-150 or even a Ranger.

Demographics include more than age groups too, they need to see what regions generate the most sales and what configuration levels and financial categories sales fit into, etc. I believe it was 1 of the dealers posting on here who said most the hybrid orders are coming from CA? I don't recall seeing the overall number of ORDERS are for hybrids- despite the polls here which are mainly enthusiasts for this particular product and maybe not be representative of the total American population.

Also, there are NOT 100K confirmed ORDERS- that was RESERVATIONS. Conversion rate last I read is more like 25-33% for actual orders. We'll see, but if they are nowhere close to the 100-110k annual SALES they were hoping for I doubt they invest heavily in different technology options for a vehicle that may have a short lifespan. Again, PHEV popularity and acceptance depends on range and convenience of plugging in and the infrastructure is not there. CA already admitted they can't support the number of plug-ins on the roads now and asked people NOT to plug in at home during heat waves because the grid can't handle it. Still wait and see for a couple years to fine tune future offerings I think, but I could be wrong...
Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford is targeting new audiences they want to pull in that never considered a truck before and 1 of those in the younger urban crowd as seen in commercials. They also know there is a very significant demand for a smaller compact truck like the old Ranger, as well as older Boomers who don't want or need a larger truck like F-150 or even a Ranger.
Ford is dumping cars, for SUVs, they need something to bring people into Ford and I think the Maverick will do that.

Demographics include more than age groups too, they need to see what regions generate the most sales and what configuration levels and financial categories sales fit into, etc. I believe it was 1 of the dealers posting on here who said most the hybrid orders are coming from CA? I don't recall seeing the overall number of ORDERS are for hybrids- despite the polls here which are mainly enthusiasts for this particular product and maybe not be representative of the total American population.
I disagree with the representation, it's just a sample, and most people 50+ who responded stated that they do not need a huge truck and once the Maverick hits the streets and dealers more will say the same thing.

Also, there are NOT 100K confirmed ORDERS- that was RESERVATIONS. Conversion rate last I read is more like 25-33% for actual orders. We'll see, but if they are nowhere close to the 100-110k annual SALES they were hoping for I doubt they invest heavily in different technology options for a vehicle that may have a short lifespan. Again, PHEV popularity and acceptance depends on range and convenience of plugging in and the infrastructure is not there. CA already admitted they can't support the number of plug-ins on the roads now and asked people NOT to plug in at home during heat waves because the grid can't handle it. Still wait and see for a couple years to fine tune future offerings I think, but I could be wrong...
Could you post a link to that article.

When it comes to plugging in during the day no one should do that unless your house is 100% powered by solar or have battery back up. The cost of elec is high in the daytime, this is why majority of people charge at night. I don' think the manufacturers care what he states say, and I'll still stand by what I stated, within 3 years we will see a PHEV Maverick, and I doubt this is a short-lived product. Ford is committed to the Ranger, whose overall sales have been a huge disappointment for them.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford is dumping cars, for SUVs, they need something to bring people into Ford and I think the Maverick will do that.

I disagree with the representation, it's just a sample, and most people 50+ who responded stated that they do not need a huge truck and once the Maverick hits the streets and dealers more will say the same thing.

Could you post a link to that article.

When it comes to plugging in during the day no one should do that unless your house is 100% powered by solar or have battery back up. The cost of elec is high in the daytime, this is why majority of people charge at night. I don' think the manufacturers care what he states say, and I'll still stand by what I stated, within 3 years we will see a PHEV Maverick, and I doubt this is a short-lived product. Ford is committed to the Ranger, whose overall sales have been a huge disappointment for them.
yes I've known about Ford's plans to stop selling sedans and focus on trucks and S/CUVs since the CEO announced it more than a year ago. Also knew the Maverick is intended to fill some of the hole in the lineup AS WELL AS give them a cheap entry level vehicle AND return a compact mini truck to North America. I'm not aware of a single official website that maintains current and accurate total Order & Conversion rates, but you can start with these 2 links below and maybe search Ford Earnings and sales reports to fill in the gaps of the big picture on this.

CA actually doesn't want people plugging in at home AT ALL during "flex alerts" and high usage periods and you can Google those issues for yourself too...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-ford-maverick-100000-reservations-hybrid-truck/

https://www.nny360.com/artsandlife/...cle_0df6aba1-cf2a-55da-8ff8-da5bc6e1770c.html

quote snipped from above article " “This is very exciting for us,” said Sam Pack, president and CEO of Pack Auto Group based in the Dallas metro area. “We had just under 700 reservations in our four dealerships. That’s exceptionally strong. We’re converting at about a 25-30% rate right now. That’s significant.”

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

quote snipped from above article " “This is very exciting for us,” said Sam Pack, president and CEO of Pack Auto Group based in the Dallas metro area. “We had just under 700 reservations in our four dealerships. That’s exceptionally strong. We’re converting at about a 25-30% rate right now. That’s significant.”
How many people have just gone to the dealership and ordered and not place a reservation?

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How many people have just gone to the dealership and ordered and not place a reservation?
In my case, my dealer said they were unable to access my reservation. They said the system wouldn't allow it. We started with a brand new fresh build straight into an order. So I am not sure that my order is counted as a reservation conversion to an order. And how many instances has that occurred?

Sponsored

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
I’m guessing the AWD hybrid and PHEV will be the same car as I doubt they could make the current hybrid system AWD (not enough power or provisions to drive rear wheels). Having a larger battery (thus PHEV) will allow them to have an entirely electric rear axle (upping the system power in the process). The Lincoln Corsair PHEV has this system and makes around 270hp total if I am not mistaken. Maybe MY23 but I’m guessing more likely MY24 considering both the Escape and Corsair PHEVs have yet to launch.
The same platform is available for the escape and it is available in AWD. The difference is the new ECvt transmission. A seperate electric motor for AWD would make the difference…. Lincoln , Toyota and Lexus already produce it this way.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The same platform is available for the escape and it is available in AWD. The difference is the new ECvt transmission. A seperate electric motor for AWD would make the difference…. Lincoln , Toyota and Lexus already produce it this way.
If I could get a AWD Hybrid Mav I would in a heartbeat, but i don't feel like waiting around a few years for a possibility.

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is why I mentioned the Lincoln Corsair. Same architecture as the escape and Maverick but has a PHEV variant with an all electric rear axle. Produces more HP then the Ecoboost and gets about 30 miles all electric range. I think something like that could easily come to the Maverick next year or the year after.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd say the best guess for current Maverick units "sold" (retail + stock orders) is approximately 50K, which would put them right in line to exceed at least 100K/units over a year (if they can get production sorted). Time only knows if 100K/yr is sustainable, but I'm willing to guess, given the popularity of the hybrid and other factors, that technological progress (PHEV, EV) is central to maintaining and building the Maverick's sales numbers.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
second PHEV. Same system as the Escape. Basically the Hybrid system with a bigger battery. (14kwh vs 1.1kwh)
will give you 30+ miles of electric range. They may give the Maverick a bigger battery than Escape. That will definitely be ONLY FWD. that could be as early as 2023. Could be a little later depending on how the Hybrid sells.
I'm holding my breath for a hybrid AWD, but a PHEV FWD would be awesome and a PHEV AWD would be the icing on the cake. Guess I better hold my breath longer.

I think a PHEV makes the most sense for people in MFDs (Multi-Family Dwellings, AKA apartment buildings) without garages or charging stations. A PHEV AWD Maverick would be my true one-car to cover 98% of my needs.

Running around town? BEV-only mode. In fact, I'd probably drive more if I had BEV mode than I do now with my gasoline pickup.

Road trip? Auto or HEV mode on the Interstate. Can gas up and keep clicking off the miles instead of having to wait for a BEV to charge. Save the BEV for when you roll into town and stop frequently.

Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Texas is the largest truck buying state(fact), by a wide margin(I have no proof).

Does anyone remember February 2021? Texas lost power for a week, minimum, month at the worst. I bought a generator in March to be safe in the future.

How will we handle all these new plug in vehicles when we can’t even supply normal power during a once in a decade event?

Don’t come at me with “power plants were down!” If they weren’t down and we added hundreds of thousands of EV’s how would we have handled it?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why do you say Ford doesn't know its sales Demographics? Have you looked at the Marketing photos? They were looking for the young active crowd, Honda did this with the Element, however, another demographic that came along was the active older (boomers). Ford knows what they are doing with this truck. Look at the age demographic of this forum, it's a good sample to go by.

In regards to sales, Ford has over 100K orders for the truck already, and the Hybrid is outselling the EB. The data is there and I'm very sure Ford has plans for a PHEV (they have an escape) and a full EV version too.

I'm betting in 3 years you will see a PHEV of the maverick. There is a market for it.
I am in market for it today as I bought mine because I can make 3 years at 0% work and because only non usable giant pickups have been available since my Luv was sold in 98. I intend to place order for PHEV the very day order book opens. Wanting about 75-100 battery drive miles and minimum gas assist time 10-15 miles monthly or on my demand

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am in market for it today as I bought mine because I can make 3 years at 0% work and because only non usable giant pickups have been available since my Luv was sold in 98. I intend to place order for PHEV the very day order book opens. Wanting about 75-100 battery drive miles and minimum gas assist time 10-15 miles monthly or on my demand
I think you are to have to wait for the 75-100 battery miles. Right now the Escape only does 35 miles. If the Maverick does 40 miles pure elec PHEV, I'd be happy.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did Mike Levine (director of Ford vehicle communications) just hint at an electric Maverick BEV?

I think a more likely upgrade will be an AWD Maverick Hybrid in the near future.

This video shows where an additional High Voltage battery pack can be placed under the drivers side to complement the one on the current Maverick's passenger side.

The High Voltage battery pack being doubled should allow another electric motor to drive the rear wheels. But remember these High Voltage battery packs are only 1.1 KW's. That is only enough for all electric mode over short distances.

This may also become a plug in Hybrid and allow an EV only mode again over short distances.

Going all electric is probably not going to happen until much later if ever. To go all electric much bigger battery packs are required which will drive the price way way up.
Sponsored