Sponsored

Found a Maverick on the lot today...and I see why.

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My local dealer has a nice Mav on the lot at $10K over. It's been sitting there for some time. A few months ago it would have sold in a day. I think the days when people were scrubbing the Web across the nation to buy a Maverick at any cost are over, and dealers haven't figured that out yet. I might be wrong about that, but I know at least one nice cactus gray Maverick just sitting on the lot for weeks now with that $10K markup unsold.

Part of me wonders if the dealer, who's pretty cool actually, just does the markup so it doesn't sell and they have something for test drives?
Nah, plenty (most ) people put in orders without ever taking a test drive, they're not going to run the risk of a whole bunch of people test driving it around - accidents do happen. They're just trolling hoping someone with a lot of money and a kid who really likes it will pony up the markup. They probably have some carrying costs but even if they eventually put it back to MSRP and sells they won't be losing anything.

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Local dealer had a used XL on the lot for a crazy high price in the 40k range. The sales guy showed me the invoice they paid at an auction. 38K! That does not make sense to me.

Jpoobah40

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 330i
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Market adjustment in West Chicago, IL...no SIBL or Drop In bedliner.

20220807_184702.jpg

20220807_184712.jpg

20220807_184719.jpg

20220807_184728.jpg

20220807_184758.jpg
Yep, my dealer told me my truck shipped from Factory (Yea). When I asked, the sales rep what their markup was, he said they will only Mark Up customer ordered trucks a smaller amount vs. a truck in inventory. Guess what 'small' means? 10K, for retail they mark em up $15K. Then he asked me if I wanted to give up my order ;-) Not going to pay 10K over MSRP... may just wait a long while until the madness ends. Another dealer in region is stating no markup over MSRP, time to take business elsewhere, even if it means waiting another year... That 2006 Ranger I saw for 16K is looking better all the time ;-)

Sponsored

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seriously, what is that second word after smart? Is that "shield"? And if so, what even is that?
If I had to guess it's the dealers added GPS tracker and a crappy App that they are passing onto the buyer.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let em choke on it. My local dealer in Abilene Tx. Arrow Ford had a FWD XL ECO with nothing else on it 2,400 miles on it they wanted $40,000. I laughed, told the salesman I guess y'all want to keep it for awhile. He said, where are you gonna find one? I told him i have an AWD XLT with 4K tow on order at Granger Ford in Iowa for $3000 below MSRP. He laughed and said I suppose your going to drive almost 900 miles to get there. I replied nope, I work for an airline. 2.5 hours flying to get there tops, plus a 1 hour layover and breakfast at D/FW airport. They are even going to pick me up at the airport in Des Moines
I will be doing something similar, albeit I do NOT work for an airline - will be flight out of TPA to Des Moines, Granger has committed to transport from airport to their dealership and close out the deal! Then I am driving to visit family in Sugar Grove and Seneca IL, then down to St Peters, MO to hand it over to my middle son, (he has agreed to pay 1/2 the cost of the Mav 1st Ed RR AWD loaded) then fly home from there.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep, my dealer told me my truck shipped from Factory (Yea). When I asked, the sales rep what their markup was, he said they will only Mark Up customer ordered trucks a smaller amount vs. a truck in inventory. Guess what 'small' means? 10K, for retail they mark em up $15K. Then he asked me if I wanted to give up my order ;-) Not going to pay 10K over MSRP... may just wait a long while until the madness ends. Another dealer in region is stating no markup over MSRP, time to take business elsewhere, even if it means waiting another year... That 2006 Ranger I saw for 16K is looking better all the time ;-)
Did I understand you correctly you ordered a Mav its coming in soon and they want 10K over MSRP. Or am I misunderstanding you? Why ask how much over MSRP on your order? Are you not going to raise hell? Or did you mean one off the lot?

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seriously, what is that second word after smart? Is that "shield"? And if so, what even is that?
Smart-Shield = front-mounted thulium laser that vaporizes rocks before they hit your windshield.

Everybody knows that...

jdiaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XLT Lux 2000 Boxster 1970 VW Westy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think FORD is doing the right thing thinking about doing away with the dealers. Its just to bad that the good dealers have to suffer because of the SCUM BAG DEALERS and their ADM. Any used car dealership that is found to have a markup should get a big fine and if they continue lose their business liscense.
The problem is that Ford needs all its dealers just to perform the excessive amount of warranty work these days. Can you imagine what is going to happen to quality when the production lines get back to full speed?

Sponsored

bguen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Pilot, 2018 Honda Accord
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think FORD is doing the right thing thinking about doing away with the dealers. Its just to bad that the good dealers have to suffer because of the SCUM BAG DEALERS and their ADM. Any used car dealership that is found to have a markup should get a big fine and if they continue lose their business liscense.
Totally agree... Tesla test the waters and is successful (Saturn tried years back, but failed). Ford now has Ford Model E, once that is successful. The rest of Ford will follow...

Too bad there are some really good dealerships still our there... Quirk in MA has been very good to me and my family. But there was another dealership (who I will not say) that was doing a 14k markup over MSRP.

bguen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Pilot, 2018 Honda Accord
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The problem is that Ford needs all its dealers just to perform the excessive amount of warranty work these days. Can you imagine what is going to happen to quality when the production lines get back to full speed?
My guess is that Ford will create Service Centers for that. Or Dealers will sell used cars but the service department will still exist.

rightmuch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel fortunate to have paid MSRP for my Hybrid ordered a year ago today. I picked it up Jan. 12 this year. Great dealer, but he's having to mark up any new ones that come in because he's got nothing on his lot to sell. And he hates doing it.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We see people here talking about flipping their Maverick and it's wonderful and good. But then when a dealer wants to do it, they're scum?

Be consistent, people. Either charging what the market will bear is good or it's not.

You can't love the market economy when it makes you money and hate it when it makes money for other people.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wondered that too, until I asked myself. . . does it really matter? There's no way I'm dropping that cash.

And, Thursday is only a couple of days away! It's this week for sure!
Sponsored