Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

2022 MotorTrend Truck of the Year: The Finalists

You've seen the contenders for the 2022 MotorTrend Truck of the Year award, which is to say the trucks that put up a valiant fight but didn't make the finalist round. Now we present those that did make the cut. That's right, one of these four trucks took home the Golden Calipers—and after the dust had settled among the judges, it turned out the winner was crowned by just one vote. One reason the contest was tight: All four represent something new (or at least long missing) in the truck segment. The GMC Hummer EV Pickup and the Rivian R1T sit on the bleeding edge of what a vehicle with a bed can be, bringing personality, luxury, and most significantly, fully electric powertrains to the arena. They're the first mainstream electric pickups to go on sale. Our other finalists, the Ford Maverick and Hyundai Santa Cruz, prove that good trucks needn't be behemoths, needn't be virtually impossible to park or own in a city, and needn't force you to pack a stepladder simply to reach into the bed. Each of these pairs seem like natural rivals—and indeed they are—but at a MotorTrend Of The Year event, no competitor is judged against any another; they instead face off against our six criteria. Read on for our reviews of each truck from this year's competition, and come back on Monday, December 13 to find out which one took home the trophy.

2022 Ford Maverick

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick is a Finalist for 2022 MotorTrend Truck of the Year Award 2022-Ford-Maverick-XLT-39.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

It's been a long time since Americans have been able to buy a new compact pickup truck, but as the 2022 Ford Maverick proves, it's not the size of your truck that matters, but rather how you use it.

At first glance, the Ford Maverick probably wouldn't have the makings of a Truck of the Year finalist. Instead of, ahem, "traditional" body-on-frame construction, a big V-8 engine, and four-wheel drive, the Maverick is a unibody crossover-based pickup. It's built on the platform Ford uses for the Escape and Bronco Sport, and it's powered by a standard 191-hp hybrid and e-CVT drivetrain that motivates the front wheels. An optional drivetrain upgrade exists: a 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 making 250 hp, mated to an eight-speed auto, and available in both front- and all-wheel drive. Objectively speaking, all the above are specs we expect from a new Escape, not a pickup.

"I love this truck," digital director Erik Johnson said. "Love. It. So many clever features and well-thought-out surprise elements." Fact is, despite its relatively modest underpinnings, the Maverick is shockingly capable. With a stubby little 4.5-foot bed, it can haul as much as 1,500 pounds, and it features integrated slots to allow owners to DIY their own bed dividers, bike racks, and other accessories. It's rated to tow 2,000 pounds in hybrid form and up to 4,000 pounds with the turbocharged engine. The Maverick Hybrid is a plucky little thing confidently dragging a 1,500-pound trailer up and down steep grades during our trailer test. The turbocharged Maverick equipped with the 4K Tow package had a more difficult time dealing with our 3,000-pound test trailer, getting shunted around a bit by the weight. Head here for the Maverick's full TOTY review.

2022 GMC Hummer EV Pickup

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick is a Finalist for 2022 MotorTrend Truck of the Year Award 2-GMC-Hummer-EV-Truck-107.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

Few production vehicles have ever had this much presence, this much drama. It's difficult to walk away from a drive in the 2022 GMC Hummer EV pickup without smiling and shaking your head wistfully—or maybe it's your whole body shaking after a rollercoaster ride to 60 mph or beyond in Watts to Freedom (WTF) mode. The luster wears off a bit as the first impressions dull in your mind, but from beginning to end the new GMC Hummer is unforgettable.

The whimsy starts with the lunar rover theme, which is both metacommentary (GMC's accelerated development of this monstrous EV is quite fairly a moonshot) and a source of design inspiration. The new Hummer lays it on thick, with clear roof panels and a central bar that are removable for an open-air view skyward, while clearance lights give the mil-spec hood a cool and eerie glow at night. Then there is the amazingly entertaining CrabWalk mode and the latest version of the spooky-good Super Cruise driver assistance system. It is sometimes hard to believe this is a production truck rather than a mad science experiment some rogue engineers cooked up in their spare time. Head here for the Hummer EV's full TOTY review.

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick is a Finalist for 2022 MotorTrend Truck of the Year Award 022-Hyundai-Santa-Cruz-39.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

MotorTrend's Truck of the Year competition isn't a comparison test, but when it came to the new 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz, judges found it difficult to avoid comparisons with the new 2022 Ford Maverick, the other new compact pickup truck that dropped this year.

"The Santa Cruz drives pretty well, but it doesn't have the Maverick's charm," Mexico editor Miguel Cortina said.

Ignoring the pesky Ford, it's worth considering what the new Santa Cruz is. Hyundai's first pickup in this market (the company has sold a light-duty pickup in South Korea, called the Porter, since the late 1970s), the Santa Cruz is a new compact pickup based on the Tucson crossover. The standard—and expected volume—drivetrain is a 191-hp 2.5-liter I-4 paired with an eight-speed automatic and the buyer's choice of front- or all-wheel drive. A 281-hp turbocharged version of the four-cylinder is available on upper-tier models. It's paired with an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic and all-wheel drive, though front-wheel drive will be available later in 2022. Head here for the Santa Cruz's full TOTY review.

2021 Rivian R1T

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick is a Finalist for 2022 MotorTrend Truck of the Year Award 2022-Rivian-R1T-91.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

Upstart automakers have every right to build an incredible vehicle straight off the bat, but few have enough resources or talent to pull it off. Indeed, automotive history is littered with would-be game changers who couldn't hack it, but we see no indication from the 2022 Rivian R1T that says the company will join that inglorious club. We've already called this electric truck "the most remarkable pickup we've ever driven. "

What impresses most about the 2022 Rivian R1T is its sheer breadth of capability. It's designed with an outdoorsy lifestyle in mind, but Rivian didn't let that approach compromise the R1T's ability to do truck things. Its towing and hauling capacities are on par with larger full-size pickups from legacy automakers, and its enormously powerful electric motors have zero issues dealing with the added weight of an EV. Head here for the R1T's full TOTY review.
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All four represent something new (or at least long missing) in the truck segment.
I agree with this assessment, except I'd argue that the F-150 Lightning is just as much an EV as the Rivian and yet will be more impactful due to its pricepoint. They probably just didn't want to put two Fords on there and seem biased, and you can cut some slack in that it is significant when a new automaker enters the arena so that earns them a few points. The Santa Cruz will answer the question if the very traditionalist "truck" market will allow for a crossover/baja styled vehicle or if it won't matter because it will bring over crossover shoppers that want some of the practical applications of a bed over in-cab folding rear seats.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with this assessment, except I'd argue that the F-150 Lightning is just as much an EV as the Rivian and yet will be more impactful due to its pricepoint. They probably just didn't want to put two Fords on there and seem biased, and you can cut some slack in that it is significant when a new automaker enters the arena so that earns them a few points.
The Lightning is next year's Truck of the Year, as it does not go on sale until next spring :)

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with this assessment, except I'd argue that the F-150 Lightning is just as much an EV as the Rivian and yet will be more impactful due to its pricepoint. They probably just didn't want to put two Fords on there and seem biased, and you can cut some slack in that it is significant when a new automaker enters the arena so that earns them a few points. The Santa Cruz will answer the question if the very traditionalist "truck" market will allow for a crossover/baja styled vehicle or if it won't matter because it will bring over crossover shoppers that want some of the practical applications of a bed over in-cab folding rear seats.
Rumor has it Ford only gave them a Raptor from the F-series.....no PowerBoost, no Lightning.

Too bad, the PB would be the easy winner (IMO). It's currently in a class of it's own, and nails every target.

Perhaps Ford was sand-bagging for the Maverick, which to me, is the obvious next choice, based on their own criteria. But knowing MT, I'm sure they'll screw it up.

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I'm biased, as a lot of people on this forum are, but I still don't understand how people can look at the Maverick and think that it's not going to do well or that it's dumb.

Whether it wins this award or not, Ford has a winner on its hands.

While the same thing can be said for the Santa Cruz, I feel like it is too polarizing, and people might turn away from it, more than people will turn away from the Mav. (This is just my humble opinion.)

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Knowing the writers, there is almost no way they won't pick an electric vehicle......priced at $75K that few can afford. It wouldn't be enviromentally friendly not to choose one.

Which one will more people buy and which one will better suit the most buyers? It's the Mav hands down.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which one will more people buy and which one will better suit the most buyers? It's the Mav hands down.
I think the biggest market disruption with the Mav is that it replaces cars in its lineup.

Everyone thought Ford was crazy getting rid of their cars (well save for the Stang, although technically the "new" Stang is an EV crossover), but we didn't know about the hybrid Mav. Why buy something like a Ford Focus when you can fit just as many people in a Maverick, get as good or better fuel economy, at about the same price point, AND you get a useable bed to give it truck versatility? Clever.

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The lucid air is the car winner and the bronco is the suv winner.

I think the top 2 contenders are the rivian and the maverick. I suspect the maverick will win based on price point and availability.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just don't think the SC belongs on the list. It adds nothing new, its just a slightly smaller more stylized ridgeline with fuel economy to match.

The Hummer and R1T I get. Although can you actually get the hummer in 2022? I know the R1T is supposedly being delivered in 2022.

The Maverick is unique because of its (according to MT) exceptional Hybrid powertrain. something that gets up to 42 mpg as a truck for $21.5k entry is kind of one of a kind. And to top it all of it seems from all accounts (I'm waiting for mine to know for sure!) It performs very well.

Nunyabiznus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber Orange Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think price is a big power point this year, with inflation going so high they will be looking at it.

Sponsored

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree, price and things brought to the table are going to be the prevailing things. It will be down to the R1T and the Maverick. SC should lose to the Mav because the Mav gives the hybrid option, and the R1T is more accessible than the Hummer. It will be a close call after that, depending on how much MT wants to scale price into the deciding factor.

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I hope the Maverick wins but I am a bit surprised that the new Tundra didn’t get on as a contender or a finalist. Did Motortrend not get a Tundra in? Most auto journalists have had no problems getting the tundra and it is now out on sale (unlike the Hummer EV).

I will say Motortrend has Given it’s truck of the year award to expensive trucks before in the past. Last year they gave it to the Ram TRX and that truck is well over $70k-$100k and over truck with insane speed and hilariously awful mpg.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I hope the Maverick wins but I am a bit surprised that the new Tundra didn’t get on as a contender or a finalist. Did Motortrend not get a Tundra in? Most auto journalists have had no problems getting the tundra and it is now out on sale (unlike the Hummer EV).

I will say Motortrend has Given it’s truck of the year award to expensive trucks before in the past. Last year they gave it to the Ram TRX and that truck is well over $70k-$100k and over truck with insane speed and hilariously awful mpg.
Would make sense to flip though and go with a Hybrid Maverick to go the other way from the TRX.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My favorite part of the review is the acknowledgement that the hybrid is the better all-around drive.

Can't wait.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I don't know if Toyota declined to enter one (smart move, if so..), or it didn't make the final cut.

But really, the only way the new Tundra is significant in the market is when compared to the horribly outdated outgoing model. When compared to the current field of half tons, it offers nothing new that you can find elsewhere.
Sponsored