Sponsored

Flat-Towing a Hybrid Maverick

Do you plan to flat-tow your Hybrid Maverick behind an RV?

• Total voters

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just found on my walk and took pics. Good guide. Just needs a little TLC to finish. Hope it helps.
3412C141-3BFF-41E6-8BEA-132DBCB7307F.jpeg
F1A82981-D596-4D8B-B5B8-ABF2C3F83373.jpeg
106FEA6E-C769-41A7-9A35-89F983AFFA87.jpeg
put white lithium or other grease in the tubes to fix and avoid future rust. The pins vibrate when towing, which is why the need for grease.
Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Due to possible warranty issues with the shutter removal with the Riadmaster tow plate, in spite of hating/fearing results of cutting fascia, decided to go with Blue Ox. Have their tow bar and Patriot Brake Sydtem. Now to only see mine come out of “in production“, since last Thursday to “built”, so I can start waiting for a ship date!
The lower shutters are removed during the recall process regarding increased ventilation due to potential oil fires.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
BradnChristine

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Roadmaster is a way cleaner install.
Roadmaster has always seemed better to me...until they decided to be this destructive to the Active-shutter system. Roadmaster should make an attempt to get Ford to co-sign that the removal of the shutter system won't constitute a warranty violation and then I'd jump on the Roadmaster baseplate. But I doubt that will be forthcoming any time soon. I'm towing my C-Max until I see whether Ford comes out with an AWD Hybrid for the 2024 offering before I commit to Blue Ox on my current Maverick.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Roadmaster has always seemed better to me...until they decided to be this destructive to the Active-shutter system. Roadmaster should make an attempt to get Ford to co-sign that the removal of the shutter system won't constitute a warranty violation and then I'd jump on the Roadmaster baseplate. But I doubt that will be forthcoming any time soon. I'm towing my C-Max until I see whether Ford comes out with an AWD Hybrid for the 2024 offering before I commit to Blue Ox on my current Maverick.
The shutters have to be removed as part of the oil fire recall to increase ventilation. They are only there as part of an attempt to grab a tiny bit more mpg, no effect on warranty. Blue Ox involves hacking away at the facia, ugly versus Roadmaster using existing openings. My truck was one of two used by Roadmaster to prototype their baseplate in exchange for a free baseplate and install.
Ford Maverick Flat-Towing a Hybrid Maverick IMG_0262
Ford Maverick Flat-Towing a Hybrid Maverick IMG_0261

Sponsored

OP
OP
BradnChristine

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The shutters have to be removed as part of the oil fire recall to increase ventilation. They are only there as part of an attempt to grab a tiny bit more mpg, no effect on warranty. ...
We've had at least one member be told by their dealer that altering their active-shutters would void cooling-related warranty.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ase-plate-for-the-maverick.23250/#post-539632
My lower active shutters weren't removed when my 2023 truck was built in 1/23.

tjhsr54

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious as to how many people plan to Flat Tow their hybrid. I've seen it suggested that the number is "less than 5%", but I believe it is much greater.
We towed our 2023 Hybrid this weekend. Blue Ox setup.

Donald

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The shutters have to be removed as part of the oil fire recall to increase ventilation. They are only there as part of an attempt to grab a tiny bit more mpg, no effect on warranty. Blue Ox involves hacking away at the facia, ugly versus Roadmaster using existing openings. My truck was one of two used by Roadmaster to prototype their baseplate in exchange for a free baseplate and install.
IMG_0262.jpeg
IMG_0261.jpeg
Shutter removal for the recall only involves a row on the bottom and row on the upper. Roadmaster destroys the shutter system.

Ford Maverick Flat-Towing a Hybrid Maverick 4596C8D7-DBB7-4090-8B5D-7F7E8647A63F

Palms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mercedes GLC; 23 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I've posted the pics elsewhere, I just realized that I had not done it here. This is what my final install came out as:
Ford Maverick Flat-Towing a Hybrid Maverick IMG_7575.JPG

Close-up of trimmed FX4 installed lower fascia:
Ford Maverick Flat-Towing a Hybrid Maverick IMG_7564.JPG

Had battery die on first tow, 88 miles each way with driving TopGun at destination for 4 days. Dealer determined it was due to having an RVi battery tender plus installed and non-warranty correction was $400+. Not happy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BradnChristine

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I've posted the pics elsewhere, I just realized that I had not done it here. This is what my final install came out as:
IMG_7575.JPG

Close-up of trimmed FX4 installed lower fascia:
IMG_7564.JPG

Had battery die on first tow, 88 miles each way with driving TopGun at destination for 4 days. Dealer determined it was due to having an RVi battery tender plus installed and non-warranty correction was $400+. Not happy.
I'm waiting for everything to flush out before setting mine up to tow. My battery seems to be doing fine...I occasionally got the Deep Sleep notice when I didn't start it for a few days (late snows kept it in the garage while we drove the Jeep). But now that I am routinely driving it, I'm having no issues at all.

I have a Toad-Charge on my C-Max that keeps the battery fed while towing it, but I do NOT leave that connected when not being towed for more than a few days as it takes power to at least keep its status lights going. When I eventually move it to the Maverick, I'll add a switch to turn it off whenever I unplug from the motorhome. Sounds like the Maverick requires an extra measure of caution.

Palms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mercedes GLC; 23 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the replacement RVi I put in, I installed an in-line switch that will only power it when I'm towing and connected to the MH to avoid THAT being the reason (I doubt it, too many known Maverick hybrid battery problems to think it's the RVi's fault, but it is what it is).

OP
OP
BradnChristine

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the replacement RVi I put in, I installed an in-line switch that will only power it when I'm towing and connected to the MH to avoid THAT being the reason (I doubt it, too many known Maverick hybrid battery problems to think it's the RVi's fault, but it is what it is).
Yeah...it is likely just a "thing" Ford can point to as contributory to absolve itself. Just like I don't really think the installation of the Roadmaster baseplate (destruction of the lower shutter system) would really cause any issue, but I have ZERO doubts that Ford would blame such for a myriad of problems. You made the ugly Blue Ox install look beautiful.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm curious as to how many people plan to Flat Tow their hybrid. I've seen it suggested that the number is "less than 5%", but I believe it is much greater.
Maybe it's already been said. You won't get accurate results in your poll.

If 40% of MTC RESPONDENTS say they will flat tow, that does not even represent all MTC members because you are not forcing all members to answer. People reading this are already pre-disposed.

It's the same as you asking children aged 8-14 if they, or ever plan to skateboard. If 40% say yes, you can't assume 40% of all humans are skateboarding.

I think the number is less than 5%. Might be best if you ask the base-plate makers how many base plates they have sold, then compare to how many Mavericks were produced. Since very few will scratch build their connections.
Sponsored

Last edited: