Sponsored

FL-400S oil filter. Better for the 2.0l Ecoboost?

Canucklehead

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2.0
Im not here to argue about who is better but working in labs doing run test on oils and filters has let me see the real world data. I will stick to the Wix xp series.
Have you done any tests on the Fram Ultra. I haven't seen any reviews that show the Wix XP as being superior to it.

I've used Fram ultras for over 10 years and Motorcraft for 20 years prior. Never had any oil or engine related issues either way.
Sponsored

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Best for the Mav.

Ford Maverick FL-400S oil filter. Better for the 2.0l Ecoboost? 20220205_160734

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
I do my own oil changes and will use Ford filters until my warranty runs out. After that I may continue using Ford filters or switch to Wix.

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And there's nothing wrong with a Fram filter or a Purolator and there's a lot of Manufacturers that use Purolator as their main producer of their filters and there's also nothing wrong with Wix it just all depends on your application and what you're willing to spend for the quality of the filter that you're putting on and a Motorcraft filter is by far better technology than a Wix filter based on Ford OEM spec and the bypass technology built into it
Also, you should never have a "warranty issue" using a Motorcraft filter if an issue ever arose that involved the oil, distribution and filtering system.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Magnuson Moss takes care of the warranty. As long as the microns and drain back valve meet or exceed Fords you are good.

I haven't done any test on the Fram Ultras but i can ask others. Most of the stuff i deal with is commercial filters but i have seen other automotive brands tested. A lot of people think Amsoil filters are snake oil but they are made by WIX and Donaldson.

Sponsored

ScorpioST

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leaf
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For whats it worth, I used the 910S on my custom tuned 2012 Focus ST for 155,000 miles , zero issues. Car pulled as hard at 155k as it did at 2500 which is when I tuned it. I also just ran the standard motor craft oil, not full synth

MORRISX5

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm going with the Ford engineer's on this one. Ford hasn't used the 400 in over 10 years

Jville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That was generic numbers they let loose on the fl910 it's the same material as the other filters and the same technology NO DIFFERENT

99.9% efficient 30 microns
80% efficient at 20 microns

There is some talk on the forums that wix and amsoil testing the factory filter and the numbers are better than Ford rated

I'd stay with any name brand good quality filter but for now under warranty stay with the fl910 and get a couple some dealers are running out

The Ford filter is the safest cold start filter on the market

It's the only filter that has the bypass on the top of the filter so the chance of washing debris into the motor on bypass cold start is minimal compared to all other filters

Outside of the high-end synthetic filters and what not the motorcraft is the safest and best filter available hands down
May be a marketing scheme for more $. Amazon 910 is 3.97 while 400 is 8.99. understand basically same.

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
Seeing the great warranty that WIX has on all the cars they manufacture, it sounds like the filter one should absolutely use on all of those vehicles! ;)

73bluebronco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick, 1973 Bronco, 2017 Fiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Magnuson Moss takes care of the warranty. As long as the microns and drain back valve meet or exceed Fords you are good.

I haven't done any test on the Fram Ultras but i can ask others. Most of the stuff i deal with is commercial filters but i have seen other automotive brands tested. A lot of people think Amsoil filters are snake oil but they are made by WIX and Donaldson.
I know Donaldson makes some quality filters for hydraulic systems, but I've looked at their mobile equipment filters and found a lot of them are 40 micron with a beta of 75, not exactly fine particle filters.

Sponsored

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That was generic numbers they let loose on the fl910 it's the same material as the other filters and the same technology NO DIFFERENT

99.9% efficient 30 microns
80% efficient at 20 microns

There is some talk on the forums that wix and amsoil testing the factory filter and the numbers are better than Ford rated

I'd stay with any name brand good quality filter but for now under warranty stay with the fl910 and get a couple some dealers are running out

The Ford filter is the safest cold start filter on the market

It's the only filter that has the bypass on the top of the filter so the chance of washing debris into the motor on bypass cold start is minimal compared to all other filters

Outside of the high-end synthetic filters and what not the motorcraft is the safest and best filter available hands down
Yep, I always tell people to just get the motorcraft filters. A lot of people have independently tested filters and Motorcraft filters surprisingly well built for how cheap they are.

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And there's nothing wrong with a Fram filter or a Purolator and there's a lot of Manufacturers that use Purolator as their main producer of their filters and there's also nothing wrong with Wix it just all depends on your application and what you're willing to spend for the quality of the filter that you're putting on and a Motorcraft filter is by far better technology than a Wix filter based on Ford OEM spec and the bypass technology built into it
I've seen some videos of Fram filters being taken apart and finding the insides already rusting and made with really low quality materials, yah, don't use Fram guys, lol. They are great at marketing and that's it.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve used Motorcraft filters in my Mustangs and F150 for years with zero problems so why would I use something different?
Agreed. If you look up the cutaway videos, motorcraft filters are really nice for what they cost. I doubt the incremental improvement you get from a premium brand is ever going to make a significant difference in engine life.

Changing the oil and filter frequently is far more important than the choice of oil or filter provided you are using decent stuff and not dollar store oil.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For whats it worth, I used the 910S on my custom tuned 2012 Focus ST for 155,000 miles , zero issues. Car pulled as hard at 155k as it did at 2500 which is when I tuned it. I also just ran the standard motor craft oil, not full synth
NO! Next you'll probably tell us you also followed the OLM. THE HORROR!!