First Name
Stev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Expecting delivery of my new Maverick Hybrid any day now and, as it's my first hybrid vehicle, one of the first things I intend to do after I drive it around a bit is to change the oil and filter for peace of mind.
One question I haven't seen the answer to is how to start that engine after an oil change; to circulate the new oil and enable an accurate dipstick reading without taking it off the ramps.
I have a PDF copy of the 2024 Owner's Manual, but didn't see anything specific about it.
So I came here to find out from you DIY Hybrid owners what drive mode setting you use to automatically start the gasoline engine for this purpose.

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored

AF Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Interesting question I didn't think of.
I don't know a right/wrong answer ..but here is what I did:
Drained oil, replaced oil filter, filled with new oil to amount mentioned in manual.
Took a spin down the road and back. Check oil level. Level seemed fine.

I simply did an oil change the same way I do on my other gas-only vehicles.
Never even thought there might be something special to do with the Hybrid Mav.

Will be following along to see if anyone does different.

Hcopter

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ranger, 2023 Maverick Lariat, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I recall correctly, pressing the gas pedal down while in park will cause the engine to start.

sundancer370

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If I recall correctly, pressing the gas pedal down while in park will cause the engine to start.
You’re correct stepping on the accelerator while in park will start the engine. I have confirmed that tapping the pedal to the floor and releasing it will start the engine.

Montauk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL, 2023 F-150 Rattler pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be entirely wrong about this but I heard a theory the factory oil is spec’d for the task of break-in. I did my first oil change a year ago with my F-150 and the oil definitely didn’t seem like subsequent used oil. It’s also a thing that a lot of engine noise goes away after that first change.

This topic is a trigger for a lot of ppl who feel strongly about it but fwiw…. My ordered hybrid should be delivered next month and I plan to put at least 2,500 miles on it before the first oil change.

Running it to circulate the oil before checking the level also seems a bit much. You’re just talking about the amount of oil that the filter holds to have oil exchange with air and give you and accurate level.
Splitting hairs I think.

Sponsored

2lbgill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLTHybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Everybody worries about first oil changes and I see a lot of guess. First off before the oil circulates in the engine it goes thru the filter which will remove the majority of the harmful particulates. I see where some have their oil analyzed which really only tells you what has settled in the bottom of the oil pan. If you feel better about early oil changes fine but I wouldn't fret it. Myself I only change every 10,000 miles and let the filter do it's job.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Me: 2024 hybrid = I changed the factory oil/filter when my odo showed 2,200 miles. Oil life monitor showed 71% oil life remaining.

Based on the elapsed trip display, my ratio of pure electric to ICE operation was roughly 45% electric/65% ICE meaning my ICE ran for about 1430 miles, the oil had been used for 1430 miles.

I fill my Motorcraft 410S filter with oil before install. I use Mobil-1 0w-20 for hybrid engines b/c it has additional additives that combat the acids formed in low-temperature ICE operation. 5.7 qt including filter.

Since I use "redneck ramps" in my garage under the front wheels - two 2x6's crossed to make a ramp, my truck is at an angle that helps the oil drain. I chuck a T30 into my Milwaukee M12 90 degree drill, set it on low torque and remove the 15 fasteners.

Due to the ramp angle, I must back off the ramps to check my oil level. I pour the old oil into the 5qt Mobil-1 container and take it to the recyle center. I check my oil level after the drive and reset the oil life monitor.

trumpet77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2009 Porsche Cayman
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the concern is oil in the gas engine on startup, it’s like regular engines, just put some of the new oil in the new filter.

MarcoG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max Energi PHEV, Maverick Lariat Hybrid DEC2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You’re correct stepping on the accelerator while in park will start the engine. I have confirmed that tapping the pedal to the floor and releasing it will start the engine.
Expecting delivery of my new Maverick Hybrid any day now and, as it's my first hybrid vehicle, one of the first things I intend to do after I drive it around a bit is to change the oil and filter for peace of mind.
One question I haven't seen the answer to is how to start that engine after an oil change; to circulate the new oil and enable an accurate dipstick reading without taking it off the ramps.
I have a PDF copy of the 2024 Owner's Manual, but didn't see anything specific about it.
So I came here to find out from you DIY Hybrid owners what drive mode setting you use to automatically start the gasoline engine for this purpose.

Thanks,
Steve
Overthinking this. Got in my Mav Latiat hybrid on delivery, drove cross country at 75/80 for more than 3500 miles. Got backed changed oil like any car. Change it, get in and just go. It starts without gas, no need to push pedal to start. Your engine will turn on soon enough. Just enjoy the ride. I've had hybrids of Ford, both plug-in and non- plug hybrids for more than a decade. Incredibly reliable. This 2.5 the smoothest and strongest. Oil change shouldn't be such a mind bender engendering so much mental masterbation.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Overthinking this. Got in my Mav Latiat hybrid on delivery, drove cross country at 75/80 for more than 3500 miles. Got backed changed oil like any car. Change it, get in and just go. It starts without gas, no need to push pedal to start. Your engine will turn on soon enough. Just enjoy the ride. I've had hybrids of Ford, both plug-in and non- plug hybrids for more than a decade. Incredibly reliable. This 2.5 the smoothest and strongest. Oil change shouldn't be such a mind bender engendering so much mental masterbation.
After driving a 2015 Prius for 7 years, I can state with confidence that the ICE will only be used 40% of the time versus a regular ICE. Changing your oil at the computers recommendation will be fine. If you live in an area where the temperatures stay above 90 degrees and higher for 3 or more months, you could change it during that time if you want to due to using the AC more.

Sponsored

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People giving opinions, as the saying goes; opinions are like butts, everyone has one.
Why not follow manufacturers recommendations? Why ask "opinions" of anyone you don't know (including mechanics)? I'm a retired Ford Dealer tech/service advisor (50yrs in auto repair including independent shop). I will never change the oil in less than 2000 miles, makes no sense. I had a 2022 hybrid Maverick, changed first oil at 7,500 miles. Sold the 2022 and now have a 2024 Hybrid Maverick. Always make sure to get a high-quality Oil Filter, I always use Motorcraft (oil and filter) to prevent any possible warranty issues if engine trouble.

MarcoG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max Energi PHEV, Maverick Lariat Hybrid DEC2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After driving a 2015 Prius for 7 years, I can state with confidence that the ICE will only be used 40% of the time versus a regular ICE. Changing your oil at the computers recommendation will be fine. If you live in an area where the temperatures stay above 90 degrees and higher for 3 or more months, you could change it during that time if you want to due to using the AC more.
Correct. I have 110k on my Ford Cmax PHEV. Rund like a car that has 40 or 50k, which it likely does. No.issues, just regular all changes every 7k or 6 months whichever comes first.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

One question I haven't seen the answer to is how to start that engine after an oil change...
Just turn on the truck and push down on the go pedal. The gasoline engine will start running.

If you're concerned about the break-in oil & filter, go ahead and change it whenever you feel like it. If you do it early, it won't hurt anything except your wallet. After that, I would just do it when the Oil Life Monitor tells you to. It takes into consideration how much you've driven with the gasoline engine running - which is a lot less than a non-hybrid vehicle. Also, how much stop & go driving you do. If you don't drive much, it will tell you to change it around 12 months from the last time it was reset. Reset is done manually by holding down the OK button, whilst viewing the OLM screen.

If you don't want to use the Oil Life Monitor, the manual says to change it every 12 months or 10K miles.

OP
OP
stevj

stevj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My main concern is accurate oil level check after oil change.
Lots of good input here.
Thanks for all the thoughts, info and ideas.

Steve
Sponsored

Last edited: