First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tucson
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People giving opinions, as the saying goes; opinions are like butts, everyone has one.
Why not follow manufacturers recommendations? Why ask "opinions" of anyone you don't know (including mechanics)? I'm a retired Ford Dealer tech/service advisor (50yrs in auto repair including independent shop). I will never change the oil in less than 2000 miles, makes no sense. I had a 2022 hybrid Maverick, changed first oil at 7,500 miles. Sold the 2022 and now have a 2024 Hybrid Maverick. Always make sure to get a high-quality Oil Filter, I always use Motorcraft (oil and filter) to prevent any possible warranty issues if engine trouble.
Thanks Bob, I agree. I was wondering if the factory oil has any "break in" properties, that we should leave it in the engine for a minimum amount of miles?
Sponsored

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks Bob, I agree. I was wondering if the factory oil has any "break in" properties, that we should leave it in the engine for a minimum amount of miles?
I can't say for sure but there would definitely be "engine assembly lubricants" used in engine assembly that may be in the oil. I doubt any "break in oil" is used. I don't see any advantage changing oil early. Engine manufacturing has improved greatly over the years with less metal contaminants being a cause of concern. If a manufacturer that warrants an engine thought it would be advisable (save them money from warranty covered repairs) why wouldn't they recommend (and at owners expense) a first oil change early? With overhead valve ICE engines I change every 5k miles, my hybrid will be every 7,500 miles. Some driving conditions (towing, long idle times) may warrant sooner. Again, only using Motorcraft oil and filter.

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I changed my hybrid oil & filter at 39% life remaining, it still looked pretty clean & clear. It took 5.7 qts of synthetic 0W-20 w/ the stock Motorcraft FL-910S filter. The lower cover uses (15) TP-27 sheet metal screws (Mav uses Torx Plus fasteners), and the filter is recessed so you may want to have a filter wrench on hand. It's bottom mounted so easy to pre-fill. Oil Life monitor reset is under the INFORMATION screen (scroll down).
I've been trying to find out how to start the hybrid engine (idle leak check) for a year now so I'm excited to try the pedal-in-park approach. Dealer told me there was no way to do this. LOL
UPDATE: Full pedal in Park actually starts engine! (parking brake off) Now I want to try this in Engineering Test mode to see if the gas pedal might control the throttle. Improbable for sure, but you never know...

Last edited:

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When I changed my hybrid oil & filter at 39% life remaining, it still looked pretty clean & clear. It took 5.7 qts of synthetic 0W-20 w/ the stock Motorcraft FL-910S filter. The lower cover uses (15) TP-27 sheet metal screws (Mav uses Torx Plus fasteners), and the filter is recessed so you may want to have a filter wrench on hand. It's bottom mounted so easy to pre-fill. Oil Life monitor reset is under the INFORMATION screen (scroll down).
I've been trying to find out how to start the hybrid engine (idle leak check) for a year now so I'm excited to try the pedal-in-park approach. Dealer told me there was no way to do this. LOL
Its easy. Make sure your truck is in park and the brake is on! Turn the key all the way. Press down the gas pedel. Engine starts. Smile.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Quick pulse to the floor in any mode starts engine, likewise when running at a steady speed a quick off the gas completely and back to wherever you had it before will switch it to battery only mode if reserve available. Works better in a Toyota hybrid. But can work most of the time to switch off gas engine. I use that to sneak up on my farm dog, she likes to greet my arrival and some of my landscape the headlights doesn't point down to see the dog.
Sponsored